1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pro-Mingers and Anti-Mingers on Record?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by okuseinde, Jun 19, 2002.

1. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Pro Ming here!

2. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Anti Ming

Clarification - I have never met Ming, and I am not against him or his country in any way shape or form. What I am against is the Rockets using the first pick of the 2002 draft to get him. I believe by the end of all the 2002 draftees careers, Ming will not be considered the best of that class. Personally, I doubt he sill be considered in the top ten.

3. AzCkR

AzCkR Member

i'm anti ming but i hope he does good for the sake of the rockets for those who think he'll be good, and for Rudy T and CD. however i still think he'll be a bust.

4. Shark Rocket

Shark Rocket Member

Yao Ming will play excellently in his first year.
    He has the experience of turning a weak team into a champion team (Sharks). He knows what it takes to be great and he will get them.

5. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

Good thread.

Way Pro Ming. Way.

CBFC

And when the inevitiable gravy-thread-comedy comes through, just mark me down as sincerely pro-Glen-Rice. If I had time I would write about it but I dont. I'm serious about it, though.

6. land_sharks

land_sharks Member

PRO - MING!!!!!

I can imagine the deep, drawn out MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNGGG! chant from the crowd after he just knocked Nash's (substitue your least favorite opposing player - they all will be victimized) floater into the second row securing our trip to the second round of the playoffs in 2003! I can't wait!

It's great to be a ROCKET's fan!!!

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

please tell me you're joking....what you're going "to do to them??" does this involve them dressing up as little bo peep in any way??? are the pictures from the aggie corps of cadets thread in the hangout any indication??

what you're going to do to them....how about get over it and not internalize all this so much??? just a thought....

i guess you could report me to the Chinese govt and have them come after me for speaking ill of them....

8. Sugar Land

Sugar Land Member

This thread is ridiculous. It sounds like you guys are betting in Vegas - for a short-time gain or loss.

If Rockets draft Yao and keep him, the purpose is for a long, very long time. He may not make an immediate impact, which may take time.

How many of you think this thread will still be available for someone to check the "RECORD" after three or five years?

Come on! I can't even find a thread that's three-day old here.

Let's be patient and be realistic. In a few days, your so-called record will be berried by other new threads.

PRO ROCKETS NO MATTER WHAT!

9. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Pro Ming -

Don't think he will be a star along the lines of Olajuwon or Shaq though. More of a Rik Smits or Sabonis tier player. The Rockets have two need at C and at SF. My thinking, which I also think the Rockets are thinking, is that it's always easier to find a good SF than a good C. We need a center!

10. rocks4life

rocks4life Contributing Member

Pro-Ming

To shoot 21-21 against consistent double or triple team has to say something about his skills.

11. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Pro Ming.

I'm not going to forecast MVP or championship type stuff, that involves so many intangibles. He has a very good shot at the all-star game early on, beacuse it's by popular vote.

At worst, he will be a top 5 center in the NBA by the end of his second year.

12. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Ming will be good, not great.

These are the stats I predict for his first three seasons:

1st year: 9 ppg
    8 rpg
    2 bpg

2nd year: 11 ppg
    9 rpg
    2.5 bpg

3rd year: 13 ppg
    9 rpg
    3 bpg

I do not think he will ever average more than 16 ppg
    I do not think he will ever average more than 11 rpg
    I don not think he will ever average more than 4 bpg

So, I feel that if he reaches his max potential, he will average:
    16 ppg
    11 rpg
    4 bpg

This is his ABSOLUTE best. Very good, not great.

13. redao

redao Member

Pro Ming.

Ming is the only person from Shanghai that I like. I don't care if he can play in NBA or not. I will be his fan for ever if he keeps working hard, improving every season, loving his country,city and team.

14. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Pro-Ming

Also pro-Steve, Cuttino, Eddie, Mo, KT.

Still have hopes for Mooch, Rice, Morris and Torres. None of them are bad players. Rice needs to get healthy and stay healthy. The rest have room to learn and grow. I am pro- all of them.

I agree with those who've postulated that Cato's problem is depression. I have sympathy for him, I appreciated his extra effort (and when Steve was there to feed him, his extra contribution) last season and I want to be pro-him too, if only he'd let me.

I am fond of Walt, Jason and Tierre. When they're in the game, I'm pro-them.

I hope Langhi will wind up somewhere where he can develop into Matt Bullard. For whatever reason, he seems terrified every time he gets time in a real game. I hope a change of scenery will help him get over that. I'm pro-him getting over that.

I'm pro-Willis too. If he wants to stick around one more year, I hope we'll keep him.

I am also pro-every ex-Rocket, unless they do something very, very bad like Scottie Pippen. Then I am more anti-them than the Jazz. Dream tested my allegiance in the off-season and tested it worse with his comments during the season, but I can never hate Hakeem. I'm too pro-him.

I guess I'm just pro-Rockets. Always have been. A game the Rockets aren't playing in is twice as interesting to me if there's an ex-Rocket on the team to cheer for.

Pro-Rudy and CD, too. Did I mention I was pro-Ming?

15. rezdawg

What about if he had 10 dunks and 7 layups? Is 21-21 still that impressive?

16. Batman Jones

1. He didn't.

2. Maybe not, but it is still very damn impressive.

17. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

That would make it more impressive!

18. rezdawg

All im saying about the 21-21 is that its not that great considering the fact that he has had many games where he makes 20 some odd baskets and only misses a couple. That shows the level of competition in China. He will never come anywhere near that in the NBA.

19. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

21 for 21 would be impressive even if he was playing against my YMCA league. If they were dunks and layups, it would be more impressive because that means he had position. Which means he is stong enough to get it. Most importantly, it would prove his will to dominate.

20. Batman Jones

How many other 7 footers (let alone 7'5ers) can shoot 21/21 from various spots in shootaround? It'd be impressive even if no one was guarding him.