1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pro Football Player Kills A Man

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by YourSecretLover, Mar 14, 2009.

1. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

The point is that a lot of athletes are stupid when it comes to money. I have no problem going out and spending some money to have a good time every now and then, but $3400 is ridiculous no matter what your income (unless it's for a rare special occasion/private party/etc). You know what would be even better for the economy? Spending $500 on the night out and investing the rest.

Didn't say it was a crime, it's just not smart. We're not talking about a billionaire here, the man makes $5 million a year before taxes. And he's on a non-guaranteed contract. Say he plays 10 more years at that money, and as an example spends this amount in clubs on average once a month...that comes out to about $400k after ten years. There are several documented former athletes that wish they wouldn't have pissed away money like that and more, who could probably use some of that money to live off of now (see Scottie Pippen, Latrell Sprewell).

Maybe Braylon is smart and does invest, I don't know. I'm just applying this example to the broader scope. Some of them just don't understand how short-term that income is, and that they should probably try to make it last.

2. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

I wouldnt have settled for anything less than 5 years worth of his salary, anyone else would have gotten years in jail, hes out in 30 days, ide take his money for the next 5 years since he gets to walk free.

3. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

That's the thing about meritocracy, the ones who rise to the elite aren't the ones who are 'realistic', especially in terms of how long they will make NFL player's salary. They are brought up knowing nothing other than "I know how to play football, and I will outplay all these others like I did the ones before." Thinking that you're good but you're young and maybe not as good as some of your competition so you better be safe and spend lightly is a stretch for a privileged young millionaire.

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Year long suspension

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I heard Brady Quinn broke the news to him.

"Now you're done"

7. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Does anyone know if the Browns will still have him under contract when he comes back? I wonder how they're going to handle this. Do they cut him, and wipe their hands of him, or do they hang on to him, and bring him back when he comes back in a year, and take the PR hit?

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Nobody seemed to care about Leonard Little killing somebody with his car.

BTW - you're not a Charlie Frye fan by any chance are you?

9. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

It's nice to see the NFL cracking down on these DUI-death cases and not allowing another Leonard Little type of situation. It kind of stinks for Stallworth's sake that Little was punished so lightly yet they threw "the book" at Stallworth but I guess sometimes you need to make an example out of somebody.

10. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

THANK YOU!

I hate when I hear people comparing Stallworths case to Vicks (Although I understand the need: Vick dog, Stallworth man) cause really you should compare Stallworth to Little.

I'm a Rams fan and have never been as disgusted with the team and the League as I was when Leonard Little returned. Little is a piece of excrement that should have been lucky to get a 2 year suspension imho. Stallworth could have done more to prevent his situation i.e not getting inebriated, swerving to avoid the guy, but the guy did jump into the street away from a crosswalk and from what we've heard about the video(even though not seen it) it seems like it helped lessen his sentence.
    Little on the other hand... I get angry when I think about that b*stard.

Nonetheless I agree with the suspension by Goodell, I just wish Tagliabue would have been that strict with Little back in his term.

11. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Wow, a yr is a long time. I can't say it's not deserved though. He did kill a guy....

I don't get those who beef with how others spend their money though. Yeah, no one "needs" to spend $3,400 at a nightclub....but it's his money. Truth be told, do I really "need" a $2,000 HDTV? Do I really "need" to have a pool table in my house? Does anyone really "need" a luxury car? I'm sure we all buy stuff that someone who makes less $$ than us could say we are wasting our money on. Try explaining your need for a big HDTV to a guy making $20K a yr....

12. Robert E. Lee

Robert E. Lee Member

It should be interesting if Stallworth is going to honor his previous word of accepting the commissioners punishment and not disputing it or if he will appeal to the player's union. I honestly feel bad for him, a year without pay is brutal. If he appealed though I feel like he would have a chance but that would make him look like a hypocrite for doing so.

13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

That is harsh. Little only got 8 games. It is hard to judge him without knowing exactly what happen. If someone jumps on the road at 4 in the morning even you aren't drunk you might hit him.

14. Shaud

Shaud Member

After hearing the actual story and them saying that video showed Reyes running in front of the car after standing behind a tree where Stallworth could not see him quick enough in time to stop from hitting him, I don't agree with him being suspended a full year. Suspend him what you would suspend someone who got a DUI without someone getting killed.

I guess that failed mar1juana test didn't help much neither.

15. sbyang

sbyang Member

That was under Tags, Goodell might have suspended Little for life.

16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He made a mistake, but from the sound of it, I don't think being drunk caused the accident.

17. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

ridiculously light sentence. Homeboy got drunk at the club, drove home, killed a man and gets 30 days in jail and a year long suspension from work.

disgusting

18. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

yeah getting drunk doesn't affect your motor skills at all :rolleyes:

19. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

He killed a guy and does no time. He is getting off as lightly as possible. Yeah, Little got a better deal but he still got a damned good one. In most cases (i.e. folks who aren't paid) he would be serving time for manslaughter.

20. Jayou

Jayou Member

The guy was jaywalking in the street, not in a crosswalk, and jumped out in front of Stallworth. It could be argued that he would have been hit by Stallworth's car no matter what. Stallworth just happened to be drunk when the accident happened, IMO of course.

In light of this detail, I think the legal sentence was appropriate. Goodell's one year suspension is about in line with his previous judgments against NFL players, so no complaints there either.