1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Prime Grant Hill vs. Carmelo Anthony

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by underrated015, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Fefo

Fefo Member

Melo would destroy grant hill 1 on 1. That being said hill was the better bball player by a fair margin.

2. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

Pfft
    Interesting match up.

Grant Hill in his "prime" had defensive ability was on par with Scottie Pippen and Michael Jordan. I'm sorry, but you guys are nuts if you think Melo could simply over power Hill.

Size:

Melo 6 ft 8 235
    Hill 6 ft 8 225

Also, Hill was a superior athlete with much better handles. There is no way Melo could stay in front of Hill.

3. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Grant Hill was never close to Pippen or Jordan defensively, if we are talking prime Pippen and Jordan.

4. DocRock

DocRock Member

I'm on a phone so its hard to really pull up stats but here's some:

After the first six seasons of his career, before his ankle injury, Hill had a total of 9,393 points, 3,417 rebounds and 2,720 assists. Oscar Robertson, Bird and LeBron James are the only three players in league history to eclipse these numbers after their first six seasons.

He's 9th all time with 29 triple doubles in 5 pre-injury seasons. Lebron is 7th in about the same time frame with 32.

In his near-prime season before his injury he was right behind Shaq and A.I. in the scoring race, while shooting nearly 50%.

I'm not saying he's Lebron but its not like he was a product of media hype with overrated game like Blake Griffin either.

5. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

I didn't disagree with you btw, I think your opinion was similar to mine. I just kind of replied to your post with that first line and then added a few of my own thoughts, should've probably written a separate post. :)

Grant Hill was a legit superstar, no doubt about it. But he was very very hyped up. There were even pieces like this:
    [​IMG]

He was better than Griffin but he was also more hyped up than Griffin. Vince Carter's hype would be a comparison I'd use, I guess.

6. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Do you guys remember how explosive Grant Hill's first step was?

There's absolutely no way Melo would be able to stay in front of him one-on-one. If we're talking 1999-00 Grant Hill, when he had developed a jumper that was good enough to prevent defenders from sagging off, he'd have no problem scoring against Carmelo. And he was a bigger, stronger defender.

7. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

Who plays 1 on 1 full court? lol That would be the about the dumbest thing lol

8. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

People are seriously underestimating Grant Hill. Before the injuries, his first step was quicker than any wing player I've seen with the exception of MJ and maybe young D-Wade.

Melo could not stay in front of him. Of course, Melo could take Hill to the post.

Too close to call.

9. Shaud

Shaud Member

All these comments saying either one would destroy or it isn't even close comments are comical.

Pretty sure a 1 on 1 matchup between the two would be close

10. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

Grant Hill all day.. Yall kids don't know about grant hill's game in his prime since most of yall were to young.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Grant Hill.

Chuckmelo is overrated.

12. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I'll take prime Hill pretty much every time.

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

There are times you wouldn't?

14. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Melo does not know a good shot from a bad shot. A healthy Grant Hill would try to make him take the bad/tough shots and Melo, the dumbass that he is, will keep taking them...

On the other hand, Melo couldn't guard a healthy Grant Hill.

Grant Hill easily because of his defense, higher IQ (basketball and otherwise), and infinitely better looks.

PS. There was a milder version of "Melo the chucker" back in the Hill days. Glen Robinson was his name.

15. PullUpJ

PullUpJ Member

1v1 Melo. Its so hard to stop him 1v1. Too good of a scorer. That being said, I would much rather have Grant Hill on my team

16. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

People forget how good Hill was

[youtube]8657ra4EBDg[/youtube]

[youtube]D87f7aehrnA[/youtube]

[youtube]Dhd5SWS8u4Y[/youtube]

17. Shaud

Shaud Member

Who started this myth of Melo being the purest/best scorer in the NBA?

Charles Barkley?

1 person likes this.
  18. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

Personally, I think Melo is overrated. So the bias in me would take Grant.

19. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Grant Hill on both ends of the court 1 v 1 vs Melo imo.

Definitely not overrated and probably underrated by those that didn't see much of him prior to the injuries.

20. verysimplejason

Grant Hill on PEDS = LBJ. :D Just joking... Grant Hill is way better than Melo but Melo will win 1 on 1 due to size.