1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Preview] SMALL BALL - new musical produced by Daryl Morey opens April 6!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Batman Jones, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Awesome! So glad you were able to make it. Only sorry I wasn't there today to meet you IRL. Thrilled that you liked it enough to come back a second time. Anyone that does that will get more out of it on a second viewing because it's so full. And nobody will get all the references. That's the fun in them to me; there's something for everyone. Thanks again, brother!

B-Bob likes this.
  2. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I went to the play today and it was awesome! Really funny and I loved the story. I love what happens to Pippin. Thanks for throwing that in there for us Rockets fans that still hate Pippen's guts!

I been wanting to check out your shows for quite some time, I'm definitely inspired to check out some more in the future.

mikol13, B-Bob and Batman Jones like this.
  3. Batman Jones

Thanks, pal! So glad you dug it! :)

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

@Batman Jones, many congrats!
    I only now clicked on the thread -- had no idea the thread title was somehow real and definitely had no idea you were involved. This is so freakin cool!

5. Batman Jones

Thanks, old friend. Wish you were in Houston so you could see it!

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Me too. I know it will happen one of these days.

Just saw mind-blowing dance performance out here. Bet you would have appreciated it. Nijinsky by John Neumeier. Hot damn.
    Have fun with the rest of the run. Will alert some Houston buddies.

Batman Jones likes this.
  7. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Going to try and make a pilgrimage down to Houston just to catch the show. Not sure when yet but hopefully in the next couple of weeks.

Batman Jones likes this.
  8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Fun show. So... one question. What kinda drugs y'all on?

Batman Jones likes this.
  9. Batman Jones

Ha! None anymore but the ones we did in the long ago left their mark. Two things you can count on from every Catastrophic play: it will be funny and it will be weird. I think Small Ball is in the 'wonderfully weird' category as demonstrated by these various reviews.... Bolding part of the final one in this list as it pertains to your funny question...

Houston Press
    "It’s one of the most exciting, original, funny, smart, deliciously intellectual, decidedly weird, gorgeously scored, expertly directed, superbly performed shows we could hope for." http://www.houstonpress.com/arts/small-ball-at-catastrophic-theatre-10368445

Houston Broadway World
    "SMALL BALL is a musical masterpiece... This show is exactly why the Catastrophic Theatre is so important to Houston's artistic landscape. It's enthralling, inventive and utterly charming productions always contain a greater truth. I didn't know how much I needed a basketball musical until I saw SMALL BALL. And from one human to another, you need it, too." https://www.broadwayworld.com/houst...rophic-Theatres-SMALL-BALL-Is-Clutch-20180409

Houston CultureMap
    "Strange, wondrous, and very funny... Small Ball goes beyond comedy and basketball to present a melodic questioning of the nature of reality, storytelling and the meaning of our bizarre existence, no matter what our size." http://houston.culturemap.com/news/...l-morey-houston-rockets-stage-review/#slide=0

And a couple cool audience ones too...

"On a scale of 0 to 10, I give the play, the cast, the crew, and the orchestra 600 poisoned arrows in Michael Jordan's face. (You'll have to see the show to learn what that means.)" http://www.dbcgreentx.net/blog/a-furve-star-rating-for-catastrophics-small-ball

One from reddit: "If you are a basketball and musical geek, go see it. This musical was made just for you. If you are a theatre geek, go see it. This musical is definitely quality off-broadway. Plus, it’ll show you a different way to make a musical. If you are high, go see it. Dude, there are so many crazy ideas. Your mind is gonna implode."

LCAhmed, mikol13, B-Bob and 1 other person like this.
  10. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

11. Batman Jones

12. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Glad to share. I as happy to see it posted nationally today.

mikol13 and Batman Jones like this.
  13. Batman Jones

If you're still in Houston would love for you to see this one. I think it might be right up your alley.

14. Roscoe Arbuckle

What is the run time on this? Anyone know?

15. Batman Jones

First act is 1:15. Then 15 minute intermission. Second act is about 52 minutes. So if you include intermission the full run-time is just under 2:30. The play itself is just over 2 hours.

Also, if interested, tune into the season finale of "Beyond the Paint" on NBA-TV at 9:30 tonight. They're running a feature on the play tonight. They came down in our final week of rehearsals and shot for two days with us. Here's a preview:

http://www.nba.com/video/2018/04/12/20180412-btp-small-ball?collection=video/beyond-the-paint

Tickets are going fast and we've sold out tonight and tomorrow but have a few for this Sunday's matinee. Next week we're close to selling out Thursday and Friday.

If you want to see this one, I highly encourage you to reserve in advance. It won't be long before we sell out the rest of the run and I'd hate for any of you that want to catch it to be locked out because we've sold out in advance. Act now if you can.

smallballmusical.com for Pay-What-You-Can tickets.

catastrophictheatre.com for more info.

16. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Sad. I'm in Houston today and tomorrow but this is the dead part of the week, show wise. Hopefully next time I'm in town the show is still running.

Batman Jones likes this.
  17. Batman Jones

As Daryl Morey tweeted today, "You can't have a better endorsement than one from @00rocketgirl" who tweeted the following today...

Rocketgirl‏ @00rocketgirl
    "Saw Small Ball last night! So so good!!! GO SEE IT. I might even go again! By chance the day we picked out was one where @dmorey & the cast did a Q&A after!"

Hope you can all make it out to see it. After this Sunday's show we'll only have two weeks left! Every show's sold out so far and we expect the remaining performances to fill up quickly. As always at The Catastrophic Theatre, all tickets are Pay-What-You-Can.

http://smallballmusical.com

desihooper, 00rocketgirl and B-Bob like this.
  18. Batman Jones

Also we recently added a Monday show for this coming Monday, April 30, at 7:30 p.m. In case Mondays are better for anyone than Thurs-Sun.

B-Bob likes this.
  19. Roscoe Arbuckle

Watched this last night. My lady friend kept mentioning that I was exactly like Pippen...

Curious if Jason meant for that to be the case in any way. Even I could see a few similarities; namely the puddle dance.

20. Batman Jones

I didn't write it so no, the role of Pippin was not inspired by you, Fatty. Thanks for coming to the show!

Roscoe Arbuckle likes this.