1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Preston Wilson vs. the Alternatives

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Buck Turgidson, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Buck Turgidson

It's way early, but this is interesting:

PWilson (Hou): .214/.257/.400; 4 HR 8 RBI; 2BB 22K; 1yr/$4M + club option
    JEncarnacion (StL): .203/.236/.217; 0 HR 1 RBI; 1BB 14K; 3yr/$15M
    JBurnitz (Pit): .225/.253/.400; 4 HR 12 RBI; 2BB 20K; 1yr/$6M + mutual option
    RWhite (Min): .149/.157/.164; 0 HR 4 RBI; 0BB 17K; 1yr/$3.25M + vesting option (400 PA's)
    JJones (ChC): .209/.271/.442; 3 HR 8 RBI; 3BB 12K; 3yr/$16M

The Preston signing doesn't look too bad, given who else was available. Of course this is all hindsight B.S. Will have to revisit later.

2. KAS13

KAS13 Contributing Member

What about the Chris Burke option? These guys all suck right now(although I think Jones will come around and is a good defensive outfielder) and we have a guy who every time he gets a chance seems to make something happen.

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Preston Wilson is going to strike out at least 150 times per season, period. it's the potential 30 hr's and 90 rbi that he was signed for. He is in what they call A SLUMP. It happens to each and every major league baseball player every season, sometimes it happens more than once. Preston just happened to hit his a little earlier than everyone else on the team. When he's not in a slump, he strikes out a lot. At the very least, his defense is still very much there. I don't think Chris Burke makes that leaping catch last night that Preston made. I love Burke. I think he's going to be a very good major league player. He can definitely start on many other teams in the game at 2nd or LF. He just has to wait his turn on this team.

4. Buck Turgidson

The Astros do not view Chris Burke as a full-time big league starting OF. The Astros were determined to sign a short-term starting LF last offseason. The guys listed above were the ones the Astros were reportedly interested in (plus a couple signed to longer deals by our main competition).

Burke will get his share of pt w/ road starts at 2B & spelling PW in LF. That's his role.

Like I said, it'll be interesting to follow. And leroy's right on about Preston: it's not like this slump wasn't expected, everybody should have known what type of player he is. There's some good stuff on astros.com about Wilson & Gaetti working on some things. He looked markedly better at the plate last night.

5. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

You want power from your leftfielder, and despite his heroics last year, power is not Burke's game. Still, I'd like to see more of Burke out there. He's a sparkplug.

Signing Wilson was low-risk, medium-reward, so I'm good with it. I think it's too early to give up on him, considering his history and also that the team is winning right now. Ask me 2 weeks from now though, and my answer might be different.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You don't need power from an outfielder if they hit .300 or so......Tony Gwyne didn't have any power, Pete Rose had no power....

Not saying Burke is in their league, but he is certainly a capable fielder, I would give Wilson a week to break the slump then I would let him break it from the bench.

DD

7. msn

msn Member

Did either of those guys hit #5 in the order?

8. Buck Turgidson

Great...I look this crap up on a lark, post it, and now Encarnacion is a single away from the cycle.

Preston's having a great game, though. He's looked different the past 2 games, whatever Gaetti told him is working.

9. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

Preston Wilson and the Alternatives would be a GREAT name for a band.

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I thought of this thread when I saw that on the bottom line last night.

11. DaDakota

He doesn't need to hit number 5 move him down to 6 and move Lane up...

DD

12. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As much as I hate to see one single player struggling so much (with the exception of last night...good job, Preston), it really hasn't effected the Astros season TOO very much to this point. The rest of the team is hitting, including Brad and Adam, so the offensive production has still been good. The team is winning, and I can't really remember all THAT many rallies that Preston managed to kill with his Ks so far. The benefit of it all is that Garner can afford to keep running him out there to let him break out of his slump on his own, and it sends a signal to the rest of his players that he is not going to bench them just because they get cold...he gives his players a fair shake. I think that is an important message for the young uns.

13. msn

msn Member

So, did either of those guys hit #6 in the order?

14. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

Gaetti has seriously earned his money already this season.

First he fixed Biggio, now Preston. Not bad at all.

BTW, I did appreciate your looking this crap up -- even if Encarnacion had a good game last night.

The only guys among the alternatives that I was bummed about was White. It's early, but I'll admit I was way off-base on that one!

15. DaDakota

You want me to go find a number 5 or 6 hitter that was successful without power?

What is your point, if he is going to hit without power, move him down to 8, or up to 2....

This is ridiculous, the guy had a great year in Colorado.....COLO-FRICKEN-RADO !!!

If he can get out of this slump, great, but I have never seen a big league hitter so overmatched, he looks dead out there.

Burke however is hitting well above .300, time to give him a chance, IMHO.

DD

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'd recommend looking up some Preston Wilson stats before throwing out this stereotype again.

17. codell

codell Contributing Member

to his credit, he was a 30-30 guy one year in Fla and averaged about 26 HRs and 82 RBIs in 4 years in Florida

Id say $4 MIL is about average for a guy that has averaged 30 HRs and 100 RBIs since he has been in the league

EDIT: Nevermind. Didn't see Hangout Boy's post.

18. msn

msn Member

The point is the guy is a power hitter, typically hitting 5 or 6 in the lineup, and you compared him to completely different LF's (in response to someone who said you want power from your LF). It's not necessary the LF you want power from, it's the 4-6 hitters. Preston falls into this mold, not the Pete Rose/Tony Gwynn mold.

From where, based on his history, do you come to the conclusion that he will hit without power?

Others have answered this well.

Doesn't *everybody* looked overmatched in a slump?

Yes, we're all aware that this is really your point.

19. Buck Turgidson

After 21 ABs one month into the season? After one slump by the starter? Baseball managers don't juggle their starters like that.

Ever consider that his numbers are so good precisely because of how he's being used (limited starts & PH)?

20. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Preston "Whiffin" Wilson. You guys can use that if you want.