1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Preston Wilson Sent to Minors! (UPDATE: Wilson signs with Cardinals)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Stevierebel, Aug 12, 2006.

1. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/NASAp...t_id=1606251&vkey=news_hou&fext=.jsp&c_id=hou

08/12/2006 4:51 PM ET
    Astros designate Wilson for assignment
    Move made to make room for rookie right-hander Hirsh
    By Alyson Footer / MLB.com

HOUSTON -- The Houston Astros announced on Saturday that outfielder Preston Wilson was designated for assignment, which gives them 10 days to trade, release or reassign the 32-year-old to the Minor Leagues.
    The move was made in order to make room for rookie right-hander Jason Hirsh on the 25-man roster. Hirsh, 24, is set to make his big league-debut Saturday against the Padres.

Wilson, whom the Astros signed to a one-year deal with a club option for three years in January, hit .269 (105-for-390) with nine homers and 55 RBIs over 102 games for the Astros.

Alyson Footer is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

I knew something was going to happen.

2. codell

codell Contributing Member

The choice was obvious for Drayton wasn't it? ;)

3. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Interesting. Drayton McLane hates black people.

4. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

I seriously hope this thread doesn't turn all D&D on us... I thought about what others might think just because he happens to be the only one on the team.. This move is all about baseball. We signed him to be a power hitter who hits home runs. 9 is not cutting it.

5. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

good good.

operation terminate preston wilson... complete.

6. Pocket Rockets

i actually didn't see that coming...although i really don't care for him too much, i know he had a decent BA with runners in scoring position, but he also GIDP way too many times.

i think i remember bruntlett was going to be called up soon as well.

7. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Preston seemed like a good guy, too bad it didn't work out. But with the emergence of Luke Scott he's not really needed anymore.

8. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

After a horrid start, he picked up his average...but has done nothing more really. He isn't hitting for any power at all, and once Huff got going again and with Luke Scott playing so well, the decision became obvious.

I think he did fit with the team quite well though.

9. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

Whaaattt ??? Dude, for a run-producer we were supposed to get he sucks. How many times PW GIDP with bases loaded or RISP? That post is just way off. You, think Uncle Drayton would care if Lance was venezuelan, jamaican, puerto rican, cuban, nigerian? This ethnic bashing crap is just that CRAP.

Bottom line, you produce you stick. PW has a pathetic OBA. His K/BB was at least 5 or 6 per walk. He produced in the clutch very inconsistently. 9 HRS? With his power should have 20 !

The move is purely logical and NOT racial !

10. chuichuitrain

chuichuitrain Member

calm down, i don't think he was totally serious.

11. codell

codell Contributing Member

no, he was totally serial

[​IMG]

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

WOW !!

How did Lane leap ahead of Wilson? I would have dropped Jason Lane before Preston Wilson.

But with Huff and Scott on board, the Astros have too many Outfielders.

DD

13. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

probably because wilson has more trade value. there may be something in the works for another player who can clear waivers.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The Astros weren't going to DFA Jason Lane... a guy who still has a cheap contract, and essentially plays at the same level as Preston Wilson (but has more potential).

The only "choice" the Astros had to make here was that they're paying Preston more than any of the other OF'ers they have right now... were they willing to basically waste the rest of that money for a guy no longer on the team?

I guess the answer was yes.

15. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

That's unfortunate. Preston seemed like a good guy.

You gotta do what you gotta do though.

16. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

I don't think I like this move.

That is all.

17. insane man

insane man Member

im not a fan of wilson. i wasn't when we got him. and i certainly am not after his lackluster performance.

however luke scott? does anyone REALLY think he's the real deal? anymore so than chris burke? burke has trailed off as well. so will scott.

wilson might not be living up to expectations. but a soft 270 with 50 rbis in a 100 games isn't horrendous. but. we're winning. so lets hope it continues. our management has made moves in the past few years that have paid off. so i think they deserve some trust.

18. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Well, what move would you have made? Jason Lane didn't clear waivers. Maybe Chris Burke has some options left since Willy T has stepped it up, but Burke can sub 2nd, short, and all the outfield spots.

19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The other answer is that there was no way the Astros were going to pick up the huge option on Wilson's contract after this season. If they DFA Lane, they'd essentially be losing two players, Lane now and Wilson after the season.

20. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

How is Orlando Palmeiro still on the team?