1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Presidential curse or hogwash???

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dennis2112, Oct 12, 2000.

1. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

I do not know if I really believe any of this junk but it makes for a good read. [​IMG]

Death Cycle of Presidents
    Elected in a Zero Year
    YOWUSA.COM, September 13, 2000
    Donna Sands

The conventional wisdom of American campains is that the bottom of the ticket, the nominee for Vice President has little or impact on the election results. However, should an old Indian curse be once again fulfilled, America could be led by a President Cheney or a President Lieberman before the year 2004. Of course there are doubters who find the notion of such a curse to be ridiculous, but in their ranks one would be hard pressed to find the families of eight past American Presidents.

Tecumseh’s Curse
    After the historical battle of Tippecanoe in 1811, legend has it that the Shawnee Indian Chief, Tecumseh, sent General William Henry Harrison, via released prisoners, a message… a prophecy that history justifiably labeled, 'Tecumseh's Curse':

"'Harrison will not win this year to be the Great Chief. But he may win next year. If he does...He will not finish his term. He will die in his office.' 'No president has ever died in office,' declared a visitor. 'But Harrison will die I tell you. And when he dies you will remember my brother Tecumseh's death. You think that I have lost my powers. I who caused the sun to darken and Red Men to give up firewater. But I tell you Harrison will die. And after him, every Great Chief chosen every 20 years thereafter will die. And when each one dies, let everyone remember the death of our people.'"

In the year 2000, another election occurs in a 'zero year.' Does a danger of death lurk for a President elected this year? Does it follow that we should be scrutinizing vice-presidential candidates as likely candidates for President?

In 1840, the sinister presidential death cycle foretold by Shawnee Chief, Tecumseh, began and every sitting President elected in a year ending in zero died in office, except for President Ronald Reagan who luckily survived, but still endured a serious assassination attempt.

An equally auspicious correlation is the 20-year Jupiter-Saturn cycle in earth signs, occurring in an air sign in 1980 and attributed to President Reagan's assassination escape, yet returning in 2000 to an earth sign. Is it possible even more correlation exists?

History of The Curse
    Armed with these statistics, the bottom line implies that a vote cast for Bush or Gore might well be a vote cast for President Cheney or President Lieberman.

Since the inception of Tecumseh's prophetic curse, the Presidents elected in zero years and their Vice-presidents who inherited the Presidency are as follows:

Elected in 1840, William Henry Harrison
    Died April 6, 1841 of pneumonia.
    Vice Ppresident John Tyler

Elected in 1860, Abraham Lincoln
    Assassinated April 14, 1865
    Succeeded by Vice Ppresident Andrew Johnson

Elected in 1880, James Abram Garfield
    Assassinated July 2, 1881
    Succeeded by Vice Ppresident Chester Alan Arthur

Elected in 1900, William McKinley
    Assassinated September, 6 1901
    Succeeded by Vice Ppresident Theodore Roosevelt

Elected in 1920, Warren Gamaliel Harding
    Died August 2, 1923 from food poisoning
    Succeeded by Vice PpresidentCalvin Coolidge

Elected in 1940, Franklin Delano Roosevelt
    Died April 12, 1945, stroke, medical records missing
    Succeeded by Vice PpresidentHarry Truman

Elected in 1960, John Fitzgerald Kennedy
    Assassinated November 22, 1963
    Succeeded by Vice PpresidentLydon Baines Johnson

Elected in 1980, Ronald Wilson Reagan
    Assassination attempt on March 30, 1981
    Succeeded by George Bush by election.

Elected in 2000, ?????

Could It Really Happen Again
    Let's crunch a few numbers. Counting all elections, including Washington's first inauguration, but not Clinton's last, there was 46 elections out of which nine Vice Presidents inadvertently inherited the Presidency…that's a 19.5% chance. Counting all inaugurations, the odds are even less…. a total of 51 out of which nine were promotions, revealing a 17.7% chance. Yet, for zero years with seven events out of a possible eight, the chances of it happening again are a whopping 87.5%!

------------------
    Houston Rockets Forever!!
    In Rudy We Trust

2. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Since Reagan survived, doesn't that mean the curse is broken?

Also, even if the "curse" continues, the idea that Liberman or Cheney could be President by 2004 is not necessarily true. Though FDR was re-elected in 1940, he was reelected again in 1944 and died after that. Lincoln was also killed after being re-elected to another term. So not every President elected in the zero-year actually dies in that term. So, even if the curse remains, the President elected this year could die in a second term (should there be one) and therefore after 2004.

[This message has been edited by mrpaige (edited October 12, 2000).]

3. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

I am going to go with hogwash......and that is my final answer.

------------------
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

4. Dennis2112

According to the article it states:

"An equally auspicious correlation is the 20-year Jupiter-Saturn cycle in earth signs, occurring in an air sign in 1980 and attributed to President Reagan's assassination escape, yet returning in 2000 to an earth sign. Is it possible even more correlation exists?"

Now again I do not know if I believe this BS but if the planets are alignment is truly the way it states, that could spell trouble for whoever is elected. Lieberman is a quality senator and a good man but I would feel more comfortable with Cheney stepping in, especially with the unstable world environment. Also If Lieberman were to step in, would he be in a conflict of interest with the Middle East problems. I am in favor of supporting Israel but would Lieberman go hardline if put in that position. [​IMG]

------------------
    In Rudy We Trust

5. mrpaige

Oh, and the probability thing at the end is some messed up statistics. The probability of a future event cannot be determined by past events. If I flip a coin, and it comes up heads 99 times in a row, the 100th time I flip the coin, the probability of it coming up heads is still 50-50 even though I've gotten 99 heads in a row.

------------------
    Houston Sports Board
    DFW Sports Board

6. Dennis2112

I know that was kind of lame with the stats. I just found it to be interesting reading. I do not believe it but it does make you think a little. [​IMG]

------------------
    In Rudy We Trust

7. mrpaige

The more amazing thing is that Tecumseh predicted that William Henry Harrison would be elected President. Since Tecumseh was killed 27 years before Harrison even ran for President, that's really an amazing prediction.

By the way, the guy (Richard Nolle) who really came up with the whole Jupiter-Saturn Alignment affects the Presidents thing also said that the alignment meant a sure Clinton loss in 1996 and that whoever was elected in 1996 would not survive the end of his term.

The Jupiter-Saturn conjuction ends in January, apparently. So would it affect the President who takes office after the conjuction is over? The guy who promotes this stuff thinks not.

------------------
    Houston Sports Board
    DFW Sports Board

8. Dennis2112

Well if the Republicans had put up a live person and not the walking stiff Dole, maybe Clinton would have lost. [​IMG]
    But with the impeachment, Clinton almost did not make it to the end of the term either [​IMG]

------------------
    In Rudy We Trust

9. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

mrpaige,

Clinton isn't out of office yet. [​IMG]

------------------
    I am the thread killer

10. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

If nothing else, I've got to admit that the fact that every president who was elected in a year divisible by 20 died in office is an interesting statistical anomoly (what's that saying about 3 kinds of lies?). They died in some weird ways, too (pneumonia? food poisoning?). Everything else, including that lame explanation about Jupiter, is hogwash. But entertaining! [​IMG]

------------------

11. outlaw

outlaw Member

Here is a really mean but funny joke from this month's Maxim magazine. (it won $150 for best joke of the month):

President Bill Clinton walks into a 4th grade classroom.

Teacher to Clinton: "Would you like to lead a discussion with the class on the word tragedy?"

Clinton: "I'd love to. Can someone here give an example of a tragedy?"

Davy: "A car runs over a boy playing in the street. That is a tragedy."

Clinton: "No, that's an accident."

Missy: "A school bus crashes killing 50 children on board. That would be a tragedy."

Clinton: "Sorry, honey, I'm afraid that would be a great loss."

Little Johnny raises his hand: "If Air Force One, carrying Mr. & Mrs. Clinton is struck by a missle and blown to smithereens. that would be a tragedy."

Clinton: "Fantastic! Can you tell us why that would be a tragedy?"

Little Johnny: "Because it wouldn't be an accident and it's certainly no great loss."

[This message has been edited by outlaw (edited October 12, 2000).]

12. mrpaige

It is amazing, though you'd expect that William Henry Harrison would be likely to die from Pneumonia after standing in the cold and rain for hours giving his inauguaration speech. Had he had a shorter speech or a tent to cover him, he'd likely have survived the "curse". But it is an interesting statistic nonetheless.

------------------
    Houston Sports Board
    DFW Sports Board