1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Preseason roster thoughts....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hank McDowell, Oct 12, 2003.

1. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

This is the final roster, as I believe most people would probably project it. The Rockets have quite a few players on their current roster, players who will probably make the team due to bad contracts, that are not viable NBA basketball players in my opinion. I have serious doubts about this team contending for a playoff spot with these 12, but due to financial obligations that I doubt Les will swallow, I am afraid this will probably be our final roster.

NBA caliber players?

1. Moochie Norris- I want to like this guy, but the sad fact is that he does not appear to have a NBA game anymore. He should be, at best, the 3rd string point guard on a team that carries three point guards. He will make the Rockets, however, due to his large bad contract.

2. John Amaechi- I do like this guy. He reminds me of Joe Barry Carroll without the skills. He is good enough to be your 3rd string center on a team that carries three centers. The Rockets will keep this many, so he is not a horrible person to have, but at this point he is barely an NBA talent, and there are certainly MANY deserving players better who will not make it in the NBA this year due to his bad contract preventing the Rockets from letting him walk. The idea of giving up a first round draft pick for this guy literally turns my stomach.

3. Bostjan Nachbar- He plays hard and gives a good effort. That’s about all I can really say about him. He reminds me of David Wood, once again, without the overall game. The problem is that David Wood was a free agent, and we spent a first round draft pick on Boki Nachbar. He has no confidence in his shot and does not appear to be gaining it through the preseason. He also looks like he should be a 12th man project off the bench on most average teams, and probably not on the roster of most good ones.

In addition to this, we have a couple of other players who are either not living up to their potential or are otherwise problematic to the structure of the team:

Questionable this year?

1. Mo Taylor- Injuries, drugs, suspensions, you name it. Nice big contract to go along with it all.

2. Eddie Griffin- Young, talented, and lost in space. Did I mention drugs? In many ways I find Eddie to be the single most frustrating player on the team. His unfulfilled potential is mind boggling at this point.

3. Steve Francis- Incredible talent. Gives it his all every single game but still seems to be playing somewhat out of position at the point. Defensive liability despite his incredible athleticism. I do not think he is capable of being the “go to” leader on a championship caliber team at this point in his career. He needs to grow, but I am not sure he realizes this, and that is a major concern.

4. Cuttino Mobley- Too many bad shots, but despite this Cuttino is an overall asset to the roster. Would be an ideal 6th man off the bench, but I doubt his ego would ever allow for it. If he and Francis would grow up, they could be very good together for a very long time. If Van Gundy can’t expedite this, they will not be together much longer.

5. Kelvin Cato- Solid backup, seems to have improved in just about every way but still a bad contract for how he has been used in the past. Needs to see more time on the court in some way. Love the thought of him playing some minutes at the 4.

Still other players are too new to know much about one way or the other:

The "X" factor

1. Piatkowski- Injured and a career Clipper. Who knows how much he will bring to the table? He has very little history of winning, but this can’t be held against him at this point. I have high hopes.

2. Jim Jackson- 10 teams in 11 years, but a standup guy with skills and veteran leadership. I also have high hopes for what he may bring.

3. Adrian Griffin- Good guy to have on your bench.

There is only one player I have no doubts about, and of course that is Yao Ming.

Yao is the franchise. Period. He is the cornerstone, and every other player should know and respect this. If any of them doubt it, they should and probably will be moved elsewhere.

So what is the genesis of the problem with the Houston Rockets? In my opinion it is obvious....

Carol Dawson has assembled a “team” of questionable talent, horrendous contracts, and misguided trades and draft picks. He has to be on the hot seat, and in my opinion will not be with the team much longer if the current roster does not win this year. In addition to this, I would not be surprised to see a trade made to move either Francis, Mobley, or Cato along with one or more of the bad contracts, for somebody who may better fit into the scheme of a TEAM game. I do not believe Van Gundy will stand for things as they currently are or as they have been in the recent past.

So.... What happens?

Does anybody actually believe that one of the above players will NOT make the roster this year? Or will Van Gundy shake things up in some way to make a point to the rest of the team?

Might he release Moochie despite the contract and go with Mike Wilks instead?

Just some things on the mind of someone who lurks and rarely posts.....