1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Preseason Poll: Can Marcus Morris play the 3 effectively?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Dec 7, 2011.

?

Will Marcus Morris play the 3 effectively for us?

1. Yes - He will be able to play Small Forward effectively

104 vote(s)
    75.4%
  2. No - He will show to be a tweener or simply an undersized 4

34 vote(s)
    24.6%
  1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Interesting take and nice first post, Sen89. Welcome to ClutchFans.

If Morris can't transition to the three in his first few years I have to wonder about the logic of the pick, but then Morey never hides from the fact that he selects best available regardless of position. Kawhi Leonard is definitely a three, but when you hear Morey and McHale tell the draft story about how badly they sweated out those picks 10-13 (before they went 14), they must have really been down on Leonard.

I'm excited to see what Morris can do this year.

2. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Can he guard Kobi or Labron? He unfortunately will be eating dust. Sorry :mad:

3. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

Kobe is a 2. :rolleyes:

4. onreego

onreego Member

Even if he can't, he can probably spell their names correctly.

1 person likes this.
  5. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

who can guard Kobe or LeBron?

6. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

He'll struggle against quicker 3s and bigger 4s on the defensive side of the ball. Like any rookie, it will take time for him to develop. He should have a good NBA career, but the Carmelo Anthony comparisons are a huge reach in IMO.

7. Sen89

Sen89 Member

Thanks Clutch.

Morey seems to value players with some pedigree, or at least it seems to be that way. Leonard had the fantastic physical tools (7-3 wingspan, in comparison to Morris' 6-7), and defensive potential that Morris doesn't seem to have. From what I've seen and read, Leonard had some character concerns. He seemed to have a sense of entitlement as well. But indeed, when it comes to needs on the court, I would have much preferred Leonard to Morris.

Morey knows his stuff, but I question whether he falls "in love" with certain prospects, and overlooks team needs to acquire them. I have a bad feeling he did that with Morris - and convinced himself he could transition to the SF in order to draft him.

8. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

best case scenario: charles barkley in his rockets days.

9. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

Exactly. Karate kid Bruce LEE Bowen might've been the closest.

Morris lateral movement seems a bit slow. If he can adjust the fundamentals on how to create enough space for a good shot over his defender, he can be very good. In his draft express video, I saw him working on his step back fadeaway. So, he seems to concentrate his game in the right areas that would make him excel in the NBA.

10. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

Best case scenario: Kenny Thomas in his Rockets days.

11. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Rep.

The guy isn't a beast athletically or physically but he does have the bulldogish body of a Melo that if he develops any type of quickness would help him get to the paint and the solid jumper from outside to keep defenders honest.

All I see is that this guy knows how to put in big work, even with the lockout and if he has any type of star potential he has the hunger and drive to tap it.

12. AggieDentist

AggieDentist Member

This is like Robert Horry circa 1995 redux.

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Battier wasn't fast and he did OK against Lebron and Kobe. I don't see how we can limit Morris until he gets on the court as a 3. On the offensive end, I can see him like a young(before he was 260 pounds) Ron Ron with better post skills.

14. AFS

AFS Member

Carmelo still struggles against quicker 3s and bigger 4s...

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

There are no 3's in the league that can cover him in the post, so if he is fast enough and shoot well enough to get by 4's from the perimeter, he can be a borderline all star. If he can get past 3's from the perimeter, he will be a perennial all-star.

16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

IIRC Pierce, when he was drafted, was projected to be a prototypical SF who did not have allstar potential. In retrospect, Pierce should have been a top 3 pick (instead of #10), so the consensus back then got it wrong.

Morris also does not project to be an allstar. (Morey might disagree though.) He will have a longer road than Pierce, since he did not play the 3 in college (though he did in HS). If Kansas had let Morris play some on the wing, we all might have a different opinion now.

BTW, you are dead right. Melo has a devastating first step, which can not be taught. No way, no how will Morris ever be in the same league as Melo.

#36 No Worries, Dec 7, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  17. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

I thought that Pierce was considered a top 3 talent, so went hunting to see what was going on in 1998.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/1998/draft/news/1998/06/24/draft_final/

You're right, the question with Pierce (and the reason why he slipped) was because people probably thought he was the best all-around player with a limited ceiling. Still, that's a different situation than with Marcus.

There are some interesting superficial parallels between Pierce and Morris - both coming into a locked out league as rookies, having similar body types, both coming from KU. I personally don't see it. He'll be a solid contributor, but an all-star? Comparisons to Melo? Comparisons to Pierce? I'd love to be wrong but color me a pessimist from what I've seen.

18. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

um ....the kid does not resemble Paul Pierce coming out of college at all. Why all the comparisons? Pierce's shooting and athleticism were far superior to Morris' coming out of college.

I think the kid is a cross between Larry Johnson, Al Harrington, and Corlis Williamson. He's doomed to struggle defensively against faster, prototypical NBA 3's, but he'll also be able to post up just about anyone at the 3 position too. If he can expand his jumpshot and work on his defense, he should be able to play plenty of minutes at SF. Probably a good idea to play him with some dead-eye 3pt-shooters in the backcourt as to exploit all of the attention he will get in the post.

19. Prince

Prince Member

Who? Marcas can gaurd Kobi or Labrun?

20. Rivers

Rivers Member

Well except Motiejunas, whois 7'0 4