1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Preseason Melo == Olympic Melo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockbox, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Game7

Game7 Member

Or as a similar saying goes...I don’t need to be in the driver’s seat but can I please get off the windshield prior to merging onto the highway?

2. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Most definitely.
    I guarantee it

topfive likes this.
  3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

how much youre willing to pay if that doesnt happen ?

4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

hahaha
    [​IMG]

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

6. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

Yes

7. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Name the price. And you put money up to

Easy money

8. onreego

onreego Member

I think the biggest argument not to change the title is the coaching here. Donovan is basically OKC's McHale but they just haven't accepted it but also what better way to get Olympic Melo then to have a coach that was part of that Olympic coaching staff.

Saying that, I'm honestly being cautiously optimistic like you.

topfive likes this.
  9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I guess what I mean to say is that Olympic Melo is a misnomer. His Olympic play was ok, nothing special.

If "Olympic Melo" is actually just an ideal and not something that's supposed to make us think of his actual production in the Olympics, then that's just a bad job of coming up with a name (whoever came up with the name).

onreego likes this.
  10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

so we put equal amount of money and i am betting melo stays on the court vs warriors and you are betting warriors will meet the rockets?

if both happens nothing happens?

11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

MDA approved.

He's going to be perfect," D'Antoni said. "James and Chris don't have to carry the load. He can make plays. His game, too, toward the end of games, mid-range, post-ups are good. We don't want to do it most of the game because 3s are better throughout the game, but when it comes down to one point, two points, three points, whatever, it gives us another big option."

KingCheetah and HTX Ninja like this.
  13. topfive

topfive CF OG

I'm honestly not trying to be a jerk here Haymitch (although I play one on TV), but couldn't it be possible that the name means one thing (a Melo who does his best to fit in with his team and play unselfishly--the polar opposite of most of his NBA years) and that you're just struggling with it because you think it meant something else entirely (a Melo whose amazing play lifted his Olympia teams to victory)?

Most of the articles I've seen that talked about "Olympia Melo" were all about him giving up his typically selfish play in order to better be utilized by a team of equally talented players.

Think about it this way: The entire purpose of this nickname is to point out a different Carmelo Anthony. The way you interpret it is kind of the same Melo: a player whose performance makes his team better.

You're saying it's a stupid phrase because it caused you to read it wrong, but I honestly don't see much evidence that other people interpreted it the same way.

#73 topfive, Oct 8, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  14. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Haha. What are you, nuts?

I guaranteed you Warriors wouldn’t be knocked out of the playoffs before they could face us, you asked me to put money up, I said sure and now you’re changing the parameters.

15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

nice thinking... every name 'is' 'stupid' when taken out of context...
    different carmelo is what it means

for me personally Olympic Melo is a hilarious name and its ambivalence lends itself perfectly to comedy and irony symbolizing empty hopes of people believing in player that was never really good, but still awesomely powerfull to use when and if melo actually bodes well

16. RealRocFan47

RealRocFan47 Member

His Career USA basketball numbers are somewhere around 50% from the field and 40% from 3. Olympic Melo has been far more efficient than any other version of Melo.

IMO, When people say Olympic Melo, they speak of a player who not only accepted a role of 3rd or 4th option, but also played in total contrast to NBA Melo. Melo has always been a high volume isolation player. In USA basketball, he turned into a catch and shoot type of player, and had very big games in that role, but he was still the 3rd/4th option.

So when we say Olympic Melo, we look at him being more efficient, but also accepting and "thriving" in a role different than what he has always been in(not the case in OKC". Now That is the case in Houston. As long as he can keep that 3pt percentage above 40% I believe the comparison is pretty accurate.

KingCheetah and skroodup25 like this.
  17. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

If his 3 point shooting percentage is anything near 40, we will wreck this season. Remember that is not going to shrivel up like Ryno. He's going to take at least 15 shots a game if he can hit them at that percentage, and he should be encouraged to do so. The difference between Melo and any normal player is that he can get "his shot" anytime he wants to. It's just a matter making "his shot" efficient.

18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Rockets Culture

2 minutes left in a meaningless preseason game and Melo is still locked in and cheering on his teammates.

hakeem94 and KingCheetah like this.
  19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

No worries. We might just disagree. Maybe I'm wrong and can't see it: As I said before, it's possible that my meaning of "Olympic Melo" could be off.

I think the difference in his style of play from NBA to Olympics is overstated. He had more open shots thanks to playing with better players (and against worse competition) and his teammates were better. But he did not change anything fundamental about his game. His assist numbers align with his NBA assist numbers. He wasn't a consistently good defender; his rebounding was about the same.

It was just the same Melo but with better teammates and against inferior competition.

The only real change in Melo's game was that he was off-ball more in the Olympics, as RealRoc points out below. But that is the case for nearly every player on a loaded Olympics team. So whether "Olympic Melo" is based off his production or the narrative that once every 4 years he radically changes his game for a couple months, I think it's off-base.

In 2016 Olympics he did have his 3 point percentage at 40, but his overall FG% was 39. In 2012 he shot a crazy 23-46 from 3. I can't find stats for 2004 or 2008.

topfive likes this.
  20. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I hate-watched a lot of OKC games last year and enjoyed their dysfunctional offense. Melo had only a handful of games where he looked comfortable and effective. I'm not putting the blame on anyone, they all looked bad. It's only been three preseason games, but he looks a lot more comfortable here. There haven't been a ton of iso post ups, most of his shots are in rhythm. He either hits the three or does a pump fake, one dribble pull up. He's also had a few effective shots around the rim by setting the pick for either CP3 or Harden.

I was worried that he was going to be the same old Melo he's always been. He's still slow and can't explode to the rim, but if he continues to take shots in the flow he'll be a good addition.