1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Preseason Melo == Olympic Melo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockbox, Oct 5, 2018.

1. High Vibrationz

You are out of your mind if u think melo is a superstar ,he has no more speed stamina and lift ,i actually like melo but hes 34 and declining, yes he can still ball but saying hes a superstar is blaspheme,

Lawlruschang likes this.
  2. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

This is true.

Everybody has to get in the back seat while Westbrook sits in the front seat driving recklessly.

saleem, roslolian and Lawlruschang like this.
  3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

It's possible people might think that - in fact, most people might view it that way. But if so, then OKC Melo was the same thing as Olympic Melo, as he didn't complain about not being the #1 option there. He took a backseat to Westbrook and went along with what the team wanted.

So we could change this thread title to Preseason Melo == OKC Melo

But I don't think that would have the same effect as Preseason Melo == Olympic Melo. And that is because, IMO, people associate "Olympic Melo" with this great 3rd/4th option scorer that has never existed.

I don't mean to sound like I'm ******** on Melo - I just don't like the belief in this Olympic Melo. It's not a thing, IMO. If it is a thing, in the way that you suggested, then we saw it in OKC. And it wasn't good.

He's shot really well in these two games so it's tempting for me to believe in a new Rocket Melo that will actually be that great 3rd/4th option scorer. But, I am skeptical. I'd like to see it sustained for a while so that I can get hyped for Melo.

4. topfive

topfive CF OG

Funny, I actually almost put that in my post, that OKC Melo was pretty much the same as Olympic Melo.

The reason I didn't, which is also the reason I think this year will be much different for him than last, is because of the system and the teammates.

At OKC, you had Westbrook at the main guy, and it should be pretty obvious by now that playing alongside Westbrook does not make your game better in the same way that playing alongside CP3 or Harden does. They had PG the newcomer, trying to find his place in all this. And then at the last minute, you throw Melo in there and tell him he's the third option. Add a bad coach on top of all that (great NCAA coach, bad NBA coach -- history is littered with these guys).

This year, you've got a proven NBA coach with an offense-heavy, player-friendly system, two elite-passing guards who maybe had more fun last season than anyone else in the league, and a GM and team that have been very publicly wanting you for years. Throw in that extra couple of months for Melo to prepare himself for this new situation, and you've got a much more accommodating environment.

"Olympic Melo" may or may not be the way to describe him this year, but he already seems much more comfortable than he was at OKC or playing in the triangle his last two years in NYC. Who knows, maybe he'll be as happy here as CP3 and Harden.

I'm already hyped, while you're trying to get there. It's all good.

Richie_Rich, clutchdabear and Plowman like this.
  5. amaru

amaru Member

The fact that he’s actually shooting at all is an upgrade over the guy he replaced

6. dejamike

dejamike Member

Ain’t that the truth... sad, but true.

7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

wow there wasnt a single melo thread on the first page after olympic melo showing in his full light

and this was the only one at the 2nd!?
    [​IMG]

8. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Westbrook? Is that you?

9. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

You lost me at Butler.... give it a rest... we arent getting him... and for good reason.

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Can Playoff Melo stay on the Court with the Golden Warriors?!

11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

can you guarantee Warriors wont be out of the playoffs before they get to play Rockets?

12. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

I disagree. Rockets team chemistry and goal is contagious. OKC lacks that.

amaru and hakeem94 like this.
  13. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Weird that Capela isn't on there.

roslolian likes this.
  14. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Rockets don't play defense until the playoffs. You must be new fan, welcome aboard.

roslolian and hakeem94 like this.
  15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

they have the very same thing its just that its working in reverse

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

Olympic Melo is also ENGAGED Melo. He was hapoy to be a 3rd option as long as the Olympic team wins.

OKC Melo is confused Melo. He doesn't understand why everybody is bending iver backwards for Westbrick letting him take all the and then boxing out so he can get all the rebs.

There's a big difference in the two situations even if both had him as the 3rd scorer.

topfive and Richie_Rich like this.
  17. fattz

fattz Member

Lots of cap space for a situational player, love him...

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Now OKC got Schröder who seems to be playing well. Dunno how that will fit with WB.

19. amaru

amaru Member

He has a better shot at it than Ryno ever did.

20. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member