1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Preseason Gm 1] Texans at Panthers

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Jet Blast, Aug 11, 2012.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Schaub didn't look good? He looked pretty terrific aside from one throw that he forced because the backup offensive line broke down and he didn't want to take a sack in a meaningless preseason game. Don't just pay attention to the box score.

As for red zone, the absence of Andre is the biggest factor. With a compressed field, most defensive backs are able to stay with receivers... it's less about playcalling/design and more about winning individual battles and drawing double teams. When Andre is out, as he was tonight and much of last year, the Texans are at a disadvantage. Have to hope he stays healthy.

The latter drives were more on TJ. Quite frankly, he looked a little jittery tonight. On the first-and-goal, he looked like he could've jogged in but tried to force a throw to Casey. On the third-and-goal, he had Martin breaking open but threw it behind him. That said, he's looked excellent in camp so I think he'll turn it around.

2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search/?q=%23BullsonParade"><s>#</s><b>BullsonParade</b></a> -awesome</p>&mdash; Wade Phillips (@sonofbum) <a href="https://twitter.com/sonofbum/status/234486934544711680" data-datetime="2012-08-12T03:10:16+00:00">August 12, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

3. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Ya, Schaub looked pretty good to me too all things considered. I thought TJ looked confident and composed but threw some bad balls. I don't remember what his longest pass was, but his game immediately flashed me back to last year when he'd hand off or throw a 5-10 yard pass. Never throws a big ball.

4. solid

solid Contributing Member

In all fairness, I tuned in after the game had started, so I missed a bit. I saw him run a few plays and throw the interception. For that segment, he didn't look horrible, but not sharp. Your take on red zone futility for tonight is interesting. I think you are right on TJ. The absence of Andre is a key factor. I liked what I saw from Jean. I think play calling is part of the problem; the predictable run on first down. Really excited about the team though. The defense is going to be elite.

5. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Ranting here. I can't stand all the people who will support this team when we are winning games when they were non existent during our bad years. I am so emotionally involved with this team since I have been supporting them since the Carr era.

6. solid

solid Contributing Member

I have suffered through all ten years, and you can add to that the Oilers entire tenure in Houston. That is a lot of suffering. You almost can't top that degree of suffering. ;) That's a bunch of suffering. Throw in the Astros and the Rockets and that is approaching the Apostle Paul's level of suffering. O.K., well, not that bad, but still substantial.

7. Apps

Apps Member

I was right there from Day 1 myself, and I'll always be proud of that, but there's no need to draw this pointless divide between fans. Just because people weren't around for the bad years doesn't mean that they don't deserve to be here now. Besides, I remember all those years ago there were plenty of fans on any Texans messageboard talking about how they were going to stop being fans, they hated the team, it was doomed for eternal mediocrity, etc. etc. Clearly we all stuck it through, but just because a fan was a fan the whole time doesn't mean that they were a graceful one. :grin:

8. nguyen3706

nguyen3706 Member

Holy crap....fell asleep. But theres no doubt in my mind, him and Russell Wilson will be special.

1 person likes this.
  9. daherro^_^

daherro^_^ Member

holliday got snubbed, his td punt return didnt get on sportscenters top plays, but joe adams did?

10. daherro^_^

daherro^_^ Member

kick return*

11. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

It makes us better fans to be emotionally involved. We get better joy out of our success. This team has the potential to be the next dynasty. I just appreciate the fans that stick around, I respect that. I have great joy knowing we are going to be a superbowl contender the next few years.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Potential dynasty?

[​IMG]

They'll be pretty good, no doubt, but lets hold off on 'dynasty' talk for now.

13. oelman44

oelman44 Member

I hope your joking. You do know that Arian led the league in rushing yards two seasons ago, and was 3rd in yards from scrimmage last season even though he missed 4 games. Grimes was also gong against scout team defenses filled with UDFA's, who are most likely going to be cut.

14. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Ummm, check out the post he quoted for context.

15. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

I'm actually a tiny bit concerned about Foster's fumble issues.

16. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Did we watch the same game?

17. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

It was his first carry in the first pre-season game.wouldn't lose any sleep over it.Better to happen now and get it out of the way.

Great game by the D..8 sacks without JJ and Cushing playing :)

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FnTh7X2r5Lo?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Oh, nvm I see what he did there lol. My bad Mystik, I had a feeling you were joking but wanted to be sure.

19. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

He had some issues last year, and apparently has fumbled some at camp this year. I'm not really all that concerned, but it does seem to be a trend. He holds the ball pretty loosely.

20. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

The only reason I'd be concerned is that Arian had 6 fumbles in his final 7 games last year. Nothing for the first 10 weeks and then 5 in the last 5 regular season games (sat out vs. Titans) and once against the Ravens in the playoffs. It was kind of weird to see them come all bunched up like that after having only 4 in his previous 30 games. But I remember Steve Slaton inexplicably becoming fumble prone after a solid rookie year.

I don't think it's something to freak out about right now, but it might be something to keep an eye on.