1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Preseason Gm 1] 49ers vs Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Jet Blast, Aug 14, 2015.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Kevin Johnson is pretty fast; shout to Bouye as well:

[​IMG]

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">For the first time in <a href="https://twitter.com/HoustonTexans">@HoustonTexans</a> franchise history, three quarterbacks finished with a passer rating over 100 in a single preseason game</p>&mdash; Texans PR (@TexansPR) <a href="https://twitter.com/TexansPR/status/632774445451448320">August 16, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There's no question that the team put people in less than optimal scenarios because it's the preseason and they wanted to see only certain things. On that goal line stand, if it was in a real game, you just QB sneak it up the middle with a guy as big as Mallett in there. It's the preseason so they wanted to see if their RB's could push it in and they wanted to see if their O line could generate enough push to get them in. Also, they'd have probably called a few pass plays if it was for real.

The same goes for Mallett throwing deep, I think ordinarily they'd have had him launch a few deep passes, but his knock has been accuracy with his short to intermediate game, so they kept all the plays for him in that range.

They also probably wanted to see if McKinney could handle coverage so they sort of set him up to look bad by putting him in that position.

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">It was cool to see Jaelen Strong's face light up when asked about scoring in his first game, &quot;I can't fathom it, honestly.&quot; <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texans?src=hash">#Texans</a></p>&mdash; Tania Ganguli (@taniaganguli) <a href="https://twitter.com/taniaganguli/status/632772759920246784">August 16, 2015</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Ryan Mallett 'It felt good out there it felt real good' said he wasn't hurt at all was late coming out in second half because 'nature called</p>&mdash; Aaron Wilson (@AaronWilson_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/status/632754326641885184">August 16, 2015</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texans?src=hash">#Texans</a> beat the 49ers 23-10. QB ratings: Brian Hoyer 135.4, Ryan Mallett 100.8, Tom Savage 102.4</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/632747177522147328">August 16, 2015</a></blockquote>

5. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Colts secondary is awful

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If Luck gets hurt, the Colts likely don't win any games at all with him out. He's still their entire team.

7. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I was very impressed by Hoyer. Seems like some people here are ignoring ng how the offense looked extremely crisp on that drive.

I was happy with Mallett. Hoyer looked better than him, to be honest, though through a limited sample size. This coming from someone who wants Mallett as the starter. I came away thinking that we are in better hands than last year no matter who starts.

I was somewhat disappoined with Savage. While not bad, his accuracy wasn't the sharpest.

The kid from Troy needs to be our returner. Showed some good hands, too. Keyshawn Martin is all but gone. Finally.

Our defensive youngsters looked good. I wasn't even that disappointed with McKinney and his pass coverage, like others.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I agree Hoyer looked pretty good, but he was playing with the 1's, would he have looked as good if he was with the 2's?

We'll find out next week.

9. mick fry

mick fry Member

How could you be disappointed in Savage? Thats crazy considering who was on the field.

10. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I was mostly disappointed in his accuracy. Granted, he was being pressured a ton, but he seemed to throw off his back foot a lot and his accuracy suffered because of it.

I'm sure he'd be better with a better unit, though.

11. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I do agree hoyer looked good but let's be honest his passer rating and yards look good because Shorts made and outstanding play with the ball. Imo mallet would have hit that pass too. Now the back shoulder throw to Hopkins was impressive, I guess I just want to see more of Hoyer he just reminds me of a better Fitzpatrick with his roll out ability, while mallet looked good in the pocket and made throws that you have to make to move the chains in a real game.

Either way we're in a lot better position at qb than last year Forsure, both guys look like they can play I just liked what I saw in Mallet more. To many people are making a big deal that he didn't get any points but one drive we did a qb sneak on 3rd and 4? OB won't do that in a regualy season game and then of course the 7 tries inside the 10 were we couldn't stuff the ball in.

12. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

McKinney won't be doing that in the regular season anyways, they just most likely wanted to get him some coverage reps. Mohamed will be the 3rd down LB.

13. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Not that Hoyer played poorly, but the sample size was so small…not sure how we could say he played excellent. Shorts basically made the TD play. Other than that, there wasn't much to see from Hoyer.

I am more comfortable though with Hoyer than I was previously, but there is a lot of camp left to see who gets the starting gig.

14. val_modus

val_modus Member

How did you guys feel about the line, which at this point seems to be the biggest question mark (outside of maybe the running back position)? At least the starting unit.

15. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

The line has questions at LG and C. LG being that no player has taken the spot for their own, and both players slotted for that position have little experience.

The question at Center is if Jones can play better than he did at LG, and be able to control NTs. He played too little last night to really show much.

You're solidified at LT, RG, and RT. Newton looked very good, even when the switched him to LT. Brooks will make the pro bowl and Brown looks much stronger and should put up one of his best seasons. But continuity at the heart of your line (LG,C) is a glaring issue.

After your starting line, you have no proven depth at any position. Center possibly has the best depth with Ferentz and Mancz, both being technicians and highly intelligent, they just need an NFL weight room. Backup Guard and especially Tackle are of huge importance and we're very thin there. It's probably going to take another year/draft to build enough depth up to not be so concerned. But that is par the norm with a regime change and complete philosophical differences on offense with the last coaching staff.

16. jbasket

jbasket Member

Dude, how do you know so dang much about the Texans and its players? Every post I read, I'm nodding my head in approval

I ask in a positive way. Keep posting, please. We need people like you to save this forum, which has seen better days.

17. val_modus

val_modus Member

Excellent post. I knew about the concerns with LG and the whole Xavier ZF dilemma, but I hadn't factored depth into the equation.

On a related side note: I don't mean to sound overly optimistic, but I STILL think it's too early to count Xavier out of being a good pro. I understand his name will always be tied to the QBs we could have had, but people are acting like this guy had his leg amputated and is a lost hope.

18. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

lol, Football was my one true love for so long, I sadly could never play because of a degenerative knee. Was never approved to play by any physician I saw. So I became a student of the game to feed my addiction, so naturally that evolved into me studying the Texans when the came to town. I grew up a Packers fan since most of my family is either from Wisconsin or Minnesota, but converted to the Texans the inaugural year.

As far as XSF becoming a good player, I have hope there as well. He's very good in the run game but isn't so adept to pass pro ( a la Brand Brooks rookie year). I'm not saying he's going to be as good as Brooks, since he has some very good physical traits, but I think X will develop into a solid every day starter. He just needs the time and the patience. There will be bumps in the road, but I think we'll be fine.

Jeff Adams gives you a backup guard (also listed as backup LT) that can spell a few starts if needed, and you've got 2 backup centers that could possibly play guard as well. Just haven't seen them do much there. Biggest weakness is backup tackle, everyone behind Duane and Newton is either a rookie or a 2nd year guy. None of them have experience, and nearly all of them are UDFAs.

The lone bright spot of depth is probably a season away from being back to full strength in David Quessenberry. Once he gets his strength back and is hovering around 315lbs again, He'll be able to play either tackle or guard spot. He'll be our swing tackle incase of injuries. But like I said, that probably won't be until next year.

19. Buck Turgidson

It was slightly infuriating to read the article in the Austin paper last week praising how awesome La'el Collins has looked in Dallas.

20. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

same. pisses me off.