1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Preseason Gm 1] 49ers vs Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Jet Blast, Aug 14, 2015.

1. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I don't remember Brown getting beat out on the depth chart by an undrafted FA during his 2nd year. All indications from the media is he's still getting owned up in training camp which is not a good sign. Hopefully he can turn it around, but my money right now is on him being a bust.

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Isn't XSF practicing on the second team behind Jeff Adams? I seem to have heard that somewhere, radio perhaps.

3. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

He's been sharing snaps at LG with Jeff Adams. Listed as the starting LG, would have started this week if he didn't get hurt.

Dudes a mauler in the run game, showed that last year, and was very good at it. His weakness has always been pass pro. He'll get better at it, as he gets playing time.

And as far as Duane Brown not getting beat out by FA, it's because he was Kubiaks 1st round pick, and at no point were they going to let anyone else play LT. Even when he was atrocious. It was his job only, and they were going to let him play it out.

4. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Our O-Line during that goal-line stretch was just awful. Completely were getting destroyed at the point of attack.

5. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

We have no running back.

6. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

I didn't pay much attention to the defense in the 2nd half, but in the first half Nix looked very good controlling his point

7. MystikArkitect

Savage didn't look like a newborn giraffe out there.

I liked that.

8. macho87

macho87 Member

Savage looked nice.

9. Summer Song Giver

It is terrible. Spencer writes these little speeches about every player and feels the need to recite them anytime they show up on the play. Couple that with his need to work his own wonky names for things "Green Zone" anyone, and he grates on me year after year.

For years we dealt with ABC13 "black bars" on their HD program and now the sound has gone to hell.

Lone bright spot, Joel "speak and spell" Myers was absent, probably a case of laryngitis and he'll be back next week ugh.

10. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

Joel is no longer with ABC13.

11. Summer Song Giver

Great, I'll b**** about Spencer more, calling KJ30 a sun devil aside, I'm pretty sure he worked an Adrian Foster reference in early in the game round 5 minutes in and that is inexcusable.

12. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

Blue looked good on a few plays, I think given time he can really grow, knowing that it's his job for a while. Also, enjoyed Hilliard late. He ran hard and got no nonsense yards while we were killing the clock.

13. Mattician

Mattician Member

Savage scrambling and nearly getting a first down was awesome!

14. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Smoke through a keyhole.... quick as a hiccup.

15. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Steny Hoyer's job to lose at QB.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

One thing I didn't like was that Benardrick McKinney has no business dropping into coverage whatsoever. Either Cushing needs to do it, or if he can't, they shouldn't be on the field at the same time during passing downs.

McKinney is great when running downhill trying to stop the run or rush the QB, so it wasn't all bad, he just can't cover anyone.

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

That was his scouting report during the draft also. Hopefully Cushing has recovered enough to do it, but i doubt it

18. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Not sure how I feel about drafting an ILB in the 2nd round, who is such a liability on passing plays. I hope he can improve in that area because it doesnt look good right now.

I guess he's good insurance in case Cushing gets hurt or gets cut in a couple seasons, but its just a little worrisome when you take a guy that high who has such a major weakness in his game.

At least his run defense can be elite.

19. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Mallett definitely looked good. I want to see more though.

He seems to be more in control than Hoyer, though Hoyer only played that first series. Just seems like Mallett knows this offense really well and the fact that he's still an unknown makes me want him to start over Hoyer since we already know what Hoyer is all about.

20. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

Yeah, He was always labeled a 2 down LB. It's going to take a lot of time for him to adjust and become serviceable, but I think Vrabel can help him a lot. He also showed that he needs more upper body strength, his tackling wasn't what I hoped it to be. I think the kid will be a gamer, but he'll need time. He seemed real jittery all night.

McKinney played a lot because they stayed in their base defense, and he needs to get as many snaps as possible. When we're in nickel/dime Mohamed will then be our coverage LB. Dude is top 10 in the league in coverage, and is getting stronger against the run as well. And with Cushing hopefully returning to some form of his old self, we should have a good ILB rotation.