1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Prepare for an insane off season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nook, May 28, 2018.

1. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Because at least he reaches the Finals. I'm sure the dude would like to have a few more rings, but 8 straight Finals appearances is a nice consolation prize. I do think he's eyeballing the exit in Cleveland after what it took this time around to get back to the Finals, but he could remain in the East, join a team like Philly, and still get back there next season. The only team resembling a threat is Boston.

The Warriors are still looking at a massive luxury tax bill coming up to keep those 4 together. They may go ahead and pay it, but that roster will cost them hundreds of millions in taxes.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Boston would be stacked with Lebron. They could let go of Kyrie and Hayward.

Kyrie or Rozier
    Smart
    Tatum/Jaylen
    Lebron
    Horford

3. topfive

topfive CF OG

Luc's twice-dislocated shoulder led to him getting only 2.8 ppg in the playoffs and pretty much being a non-factor. If he'd been healthy and had a good series, you'd see teams knocking on his door already. His poor showing means we might be able to re-sign him on the cheap.

4. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

LeBron has developed himself into one of the best 3pt shooters in the league. In this offense he'd get looks he's never gotten before.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  5. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Wanted to run something by the capologists here (@BimaThug):

-In the 2016 season, we traded for Ty Lawson after he made a part of his deal non-guaranteed
    -The new CBA states that only guaranteed salary counts for salary matching in a trade
    -LeBron has until June 29th to opt into his contract for the 2018-19 season

In theory, could LeBron opt in and agree to make his '18-19 deal partially guaranteed? If so, would the Rockets only be required to match the guaranteed portion of his deal?

If both of these things are true, we could deal minimal pieces (whatever it would take to match the guaranteed portion of LeBron's salary) + several unprotected picks for LeBron, and then re-sign the rest of our guys.

Constraints:
    -We'd have to do the deal after June 30th to not be constrained by the hard cap of $125.26 MM
    -LeBron would have to trust that we wouldn't cut him later in the year (lol)
    -Tillman would have to be okay with an egregious luxury tax bill

Am I missing something here?

ashleyem likes this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

No. Would just be a guess. Based on how James handled his last two moves I doubt anyone knows until he makes his decision.

justtxyank likes this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

All of this is true, and it is why it is such a trying off season for Morey to operate. There are a series of dominoes that must fall in the right timing order for the Rockets.

Ultimately it comes down to whether LeBron really wants to be a Rocket. If he does Morey will have to work quickly... everything has to be planned out for the possibility that LeBron comes or doesn’t come... and similar for Paul George.

LeBron, Paul, Ariza, Anderson, Capela, Moute, Morey and Tillman all have to be on the same page and there are contengencies for all these players and their agents and the Rockets as well assuming anything falls through.

It is all more complicated than usual, BUT if someone like LeBron and Paul and Harden deciding together that this is what they are going to do..... it can happen.

sammy likes this.
  8. riko

riko Member

It’s going to come down to ryno contract.

9. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Facts. As long as that contract is with Hou we are F'd!

10. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Yes, you're missing something. You need to match the whole deal. If you cut them, you are only on the hook for the guaranteed portion.

My hunch (and it's just a hunch) is that if we made a move for Lebron, we wouldn't be looking to cut him any time. Ever.

11. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

LeBron's contract was signed before the new CBA and the rule is not applicable to his contract.

12. hakeemthagreat

To me PJ is the most valuable. He hits his 3's & can guard all 5 positions. He's basically our Draymond without the ballhandling. Would hate to see any of those guys go

13. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

I know that we wouldn't cut LeBron lol. Reason to make his deal partially guaranteed would be so that we don't have to send out as much outgoing salary, salary that a rebuilding and luxury tax-paying Cleveland team would hesitate to take on.

Yep that's right - this wouldn't work for LeBron. I am curious if this method would work for Kyle Korver (or another player who signed in 2017).

14. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

This is very scary. If this is allowed teams can operate over cap however they want.

15. BigDikNENE

BigDikNENE Member

Everyone can stay except Ryno

16. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

What's the point of preparing if the NBA will decide the narrative and the players involved? And I'm dead serious.

17. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Right? I feel there has to be some language in the CBA that prevents this, but I haven't seen anything (Full disclosure - I am no lawyer)

ashleyem likes this.
  18. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

If he wants another big contract then he def won't get one here once we resign CP3 and Capela.

19. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

What makes you think the method would work?

I already suggested it wouldn't for you - it's not an idea that can be pursued, sorry!!

20. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

That was opt in and trade