1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Prepare for an insane off season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nook, May 28, 2018.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It's a long shot at best. I recalling Morey going after Bosh twice and did not get him. Now he is semi retired. In retrospect Chris Bosh had a better thing going with the Heat.

saleem likes this.
  2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Lebron would have a great chance at another ring in Houston, but TF/DM don't have the resources to get it done unfortunately.

daywalker02 likes this.
  3. jeevinesh

jeevinesh Member

The reason we lost to GSW this year is because our best 3 point shooter was PJ Tucker who shot 39% and ranked at 49 in the league. Followed by Ryan Anderson at 56 and Gerald Green at 91.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/player-stat/three-point-field-goal-percentage

GSW had three players in the top 20 all shooting above 40%. JH isn't a good three point shooter but takes over 10 shots a game. At the end of the day, the averages come back to bite us especially for a 3 heavy offense like ours.

We need higher percentage 3 point shooters.

To put things in perspective, Redick was 22nd in the league. We actually may have won if he was on our team this year.

hakeem94 and RocketOrg like this.
  4. Tankeio

Tankeio Member

Since when did EG hint or made known he want to play somewhere else? Not saying he is untouchable but I wouldn't mind him back if he still want to come back.

5. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

How so

6. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

Everything will start with LeBron. After he makes his decision, Rockets will react accordingly. They will match anything for Capela. I can see CP3 taking less for more years to help out, something like $20 million a year for 4 years with a $25 million option in year 5, or if we miss out on LeBron, we might give him the one year max with a second year option

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

How many years do you think he will be effective and at least durable enough? I say 3 years.

Then he is a role player with amazing passing.

8. sammy

Apples and oranges. Bosh took the bird right 5 year deal that he wanted all along. That’s not Lebron’s play

9. saleem

Once he opts in for 35 M, it will be nearly impossible to move RA, plus EG to acquire him. The only remote chance at this would be a S/T of Capela plus EG, multiple picks, NG contracts. This is a hypothetical assumption of mine, I hope posters with better knowledge about trades in the current CBA would comment about this.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

True, Bosh stated couple times he was interested in the Rockets, still signed with Miami.

Lebron is Oranges, he won't tell the public what he thinks.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

The problem is Ryan Anderson. Houston doesn't want Ryan Anderson. Cleveland doesn't want Ryan Anderson. No one wants Ryan Anderson. No one wants Ryan Anderson at $20,421,546 and $21,264,635 the next two years. I'd ask for two or three first round picks if I'm another team and those picks aren't even gonna be great (25-30).

http://rockets.clutchfans.net/11206/houston-rockets-salary-cap-2018-offseason/

Any trade for LeBron will need to include Anderson or Gordon, possibly both. For those trying to add up salaries, the Rockets will need to send out at least $26,548,568 if they consummate a trade prior to July 1, or at least $28,406,375 if they make a trade after July 1. If Anderson is not included, then any trade will need to include Gordon, Tucker and a whole bunch of smaller salaries. If Anderson is included, he (along with potentially significant assets) may need to be sent to a third team. Gordon could possibly headline the package going to the Cavs.

Further complicating matters is that Cleveland recently traded for George Hill and Jordan Clarkson – two guards with large 2018-19 salaries – making Gordon less enticing as a player asset. The Cavs team salary is so high that they’ll be well over the salary cap even if LeBron walks for nothing; but they also will not want to pay a bunch of luxury tax for a LeBron-less team. The Rockets could possibly find yet another team to take on Gordon in exchange for (less expensive) assets that can be sent to Cleveland, but trades are much more likely to fall apart the more teams get added to the mix.

For those into pipedreams, there is a scenario in which the Rockets could trade Anderson, Nene and non-rotation players (possibly including a signed-and-traded Tarik Black) for LeBron, without having to give up any of Houston’s key rotation pieces. But the amount of future draft assets it would take to pull off such a trade is nearly unfathomable. Without fathom.

Getting all the stars to align to bring LeBron to Houston will be an extremely difficult task, one that is not very likely.

MorningZippo likes this.
  12. sammy

Rockets will use 2 to 3 first round picks to unload Ryno if Lebron says yes.

13. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Not much of this rings true...good try though.....

14. saleem

I said pretty much the same thing about Ryan Anderson in my post.

15. sammy

The landscape of the NBA has changed.

Paul comes to Houston because of snake KD.

Lebron comes to Houston because of the same thing. Cavs lose in 4 or 5 as I expect and things will become more clear for Lebron. Houston is the natural option. It gives him th chance to chase down Kobe, Duncan, MJ in the rings dept

thedreamsteam likes this.
  16. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

No, but teams WILL want Eric Gordon. They WILL want future picks from the Rockets, especially if they have limited protection. Ryno's contract is the bitter pill Cleveland(or a third or fourth team depending on the magnitude of the trade) swallows to get those other assets. The alternative is for the Cavs to let LeBron walk for nothing. Isn't it better to get EG and some picks?

And before anyone brings up Cleveland being in luxury tax territory, they can avoid that easily. Even if they're stuck with Ryno, they can move Love, Tristan, Korver, EG, and probably even Hill and Clarkson. They're likely stuck with JR, but still, that's nearly 81 million in contracts that can be cleared. If they can avoid taking back the same amount, they dodge the luxury tax and clear a buttload of cap space. Couple that with the assets they got from the Rockets(EG and picks) along with the high draft picks of their own over the next few years, and they're off and running in their effort to rebuild.

D-rock likes this.
  17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Then I trade for Eric Gordon. You want to attach Anderson to Gordon? Thanks but no thanks, I'm good. We'll look elsewhere [for a guard].

But they're not good picks. 2019 won't be a good pick. 2021 is 50/50. 2023, yeah that'll probably be a decent pick.

No I don't take the Anderson contract just for getting Eric Gordon or some late future first round picks.
    Yes, I let LeBron walk. LeBron leaves, they're going back to the gutter. Their salary cap book is ****, with or without LeBron next year.

More like would be stuck with Anderson, stuck with Love, stuck with Tristan, stuck with J.R., stuck with Clarkson.

They tried to move Kevin Love last offseason to no avail. They aren't moving Thompson without an asset attached. No one wants bonehead J.R. Smith. Jordan Clarkson, meh.

George Hill, they can maaayyybee move. Kyle Korver, they can probably move. Eric Gordon, hypothetically, they can probably move.

Hypothetically I take Anderson and all these picks, I have to send these picks right back out to get rid of all these other garbage contracts! That's why LeBron would leave, is leaving! They have no means to upgrade. The 8th pick, that's it. If they could, as you say, trade Love, Tristan, Korver, Hill & Clarkson, don't you think they'd do so and upgrade the roster & LeBron stays?

Their books are screwed. I don't screw them up even further by taking on Anderson, Gordon & late picks because hey, I got something for LeBron! (...even if that something is a turd sandwich.)

LeBron
    2018-19: $35,607,968 (Player Option)

Kevin Love
    2018-19: $24,119,025
    2019-20: $25,595,700 (Player Option)

George Hill
    2018-19: $19,000,000
    2019-20: $18,000,000 (2019-20 salary $1M guaranteed until 7/1/2019)

Tristan Thompson
    2018-19: $17,469,565
    2019-20: $18,539,130

J.R. Smith
    2018-19: $14,720,000
    2019-20: $15,680,000 (2019-20 salary $3.87M guaranteed until 6/30/2019 then fully guaranteed)

Jordan Clarkson
    2018-19: $12,500,000
    2019-20: $13,437,500

Kyle Korver
    2018-19: $7,560,000
    2019-20: $7,500,000 (2019-20 salary $3,440,000 guaranteed until 7/7/2019)

Cedi Osman
    2018-19: $2,775,000
    2019-20: $2,907,143
    2020-21: $3,633,929 (Qualifying Offer)

Rodney Hood
    2018-19: $3,472,887 (Qualifying Offer)

Ante Zizic
    2018-19: $1,952,760
    2019-20: $2,281,800 (Team Option)
    2020-21: $3,872,215 (Team Option)
    2021-22: $5,634,073 (Qualifying Offer)

Larry Nance Jr.
    2018-19: $2,272,391
    2019-20: $3,369,956 (Qualifying Offer)

Okaro White
    2018-19: $1,544,951 (Non-Guaranteed)
    2019-20: $1,931,189 (Qualifying Offer)

Kendrick Perkins
    2018-19: $2,445,085 (Team Option)

Rodney Hood is a restricted free agent
    Jeff Green & Jose Calderson are unrestricted free agents

JoeBarelyCares likes this.
  18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I’m more on the @J.R. train than most.

Like I said during the Melo saga, Ryan’s contract is a big negative. They can argue that they are better with lebron simply walking away, being under the tax and then trying to trade veterans for late picks as the season goes on.

When left for Miami they did a sign and trade but that was simply giving them a pick for a guy who was gone. There was no long term cost to them.

We’ll see. Hard for me to believe it will happen.

However jr I disagree on love. They didn’t try to move him last off-season they refused to include him in a Melo deal. If they want to dump him they could easily move him. Sacramento, Brooklyn, Indiana plenty of teams would make room for a dumping of love

19. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I'm not talking about trading those guys to upgrade the roster. That is a virtually impossible task. But if you're looking to just dump Love(after LeBron leaves) and take crap(or nothing) back in return, teams out there will have interest. He's owed 50 mil over the next 2 seasons, but that's not bad for an All-Star caliber player like him. Same goes for Tristan. Yes, he's overpaid, but it's still a reasonable contract compared to what some other big men are earning. Korver's contract is a good bargain even at his age. Hill and Clarkson would be tougher to move given their production ain't great. Gordon(if the Cavs got him in a LeBron trade) would be highly coveted by many teams.

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I agree with this. Sacramento for example would probably give up a first for love.

If they traded lebron for say Ryan Anderson, nene, onuaku and two firsts they would have plenty of options to get under the tax. Send love to Sacramento for a first, offer Korver up to any team that will give you a second, etc.

I think they could move love and Korver without much effort, clarkson could probably be dealt but not to get anything back, Thompson I’m not sure could be moved.

Shoot, if lebron comes to Houston I’m sure the lakers would love to take on kevin love.