1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Predictions on the new and improved Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rfila, Aug 24, 2008.

1. rfila

rfila Member

There is no doubt this is an improved Rockets with the addition of Ron Artest. But when I say the "new" Rockets, I am more referring to the "new" old guys like Yao, Tmac, Scola etc. This new season is going to be very special for the team and almost all the major players for various reasons. And the result is also very likely to be different from the previous seasons.

Since I still can not correctly write down all the retired numbers without using Google, I will stick what I know better and only give prediction on Yao.(I consider myself a Rocket fan, but feel free to call me Y*O*F if it makes you happy)

With the Olympic game over, so is Yao's duty for the CNT. Yao can focus on the new Rocket season. Yao has been growing confident, comfortable and hungry as an NBA player. I predict we will see a more assuring, more aggressive Yao next season. Don't be surprised if Yao take a stand and give a few hard fouls. Yao will end up having more fouled out games than any previous season.

Playwise, he may not be hesitant to shoot some long shots when they are justified. But he will still make his living in the paint and finally get his "domination" recognized. He will likely to play 30-32 minutes and still close to 20/10 while showing even better decision in passing. His efficiency will increase. And more importantly, he will show the best Yao have seen in the playoff.

I am sure I have left a lot out.Feel free to give prediction on any Rocket player you feel comfortable.

2. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

I believe if there was ever a year for Tmac to play 75+ games this is it. His minutes will be limited to 28-31 a game (I believe, to keep him fresh for post season). With depth we have I really think that is all he needs/should play, until post season where he can play 36+.

Ron Ron SHOULD have a HUGE year. Contract season, guy is out there for money. Under a coach he supposedly loves. Not THE guy, so can be open A LOT. I think Ron Ron will be our MVP during the regular season (sorry Yao and Tmac), obviously this is barring he doesn't blow up and do something ridiculously stupid. He will be difference maker if he plays a lot of minutes as I expect him to, maybe not all on offense end, but he should be a defensive BEAST.

Yao is hard to predict, all his injuries have been completely freak injuries. I'd like to see his season minutes at 30 minutes a game MAX, and Postseason is where is gets bulk of his minutes played. But I hope more than anything no freak injuries :D.

BB will get a bulk of backup PG minutes, and Adelman will play 10 man roster THAT'S IT.

Yao/Deke (if he comes back)
    Scola/Harris/Hayes/Landry (if he comes back)
    Tmac
    Battier/Ron Ron
    Alston/BB/AB

I believe Harris, Hayes, AB are listed here but 2 at least will probably be left out of each game, depending on situation (unless there are garbage minutes or Deke/Landry don't come back).

If Tmac/Yao/Ron stay healthy this team should be able to get 60+ wins, which is a big number, but these 3 could make it.

If Tmac/Yao/Ron stay healthy in playoffs. This team should go far (Championship?, maybe if we can beat Boston/LA/NOs, etc). We haven't seen how good this team is, but this team healthy on PAPER is the best in the league in my opinion.

3. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

My prediction? Ron Artest sticks to the ball and messes the whole offense up. Eventually rots at the end of the bench, where he has a tantrum and blows up. Rafer plays 38+ minutes, we switch Battier back in and proves that the most important acquisition was Brent Barry. Yao and T-Mac both injured for long stretches, with Mutombo and Luther starring in their absence. Finishing at 56-26, we clang Jazz again and manage to beat them in 7 with an extremely fatigued duo. Then we get swept by uh, SA? How about the Mavs? Yah. Great.

We need more pessimists on this forum. :cool:

4. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

First round exit.

5. cyruszhang

cyruszhang Member

or lottery pick, even better~ :D

6. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I think yes, they may suck.

7. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

kobe's offensive game is definitely not suited for the international game.

8. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

My Analysis:

Additions made this off season: Added veteran guard Brent Barry,with his sweet stroke,and Savvy leadership that can prove to be invaluable. Added Joey Dorsey who can provide energy off the bench, and bring some "Nastiness" to the game. The Biggest move this summer in adding Ron Artest who solves many problems the Rockets have had an recent years. A third scorer, toughness, lock down defense. Not to mention the match up advantages the Rockets now have over other teams.(no more double teams on Yao or Tracy.)

Big impact player:Scola.
    Last year he was getting his feet wet, and was out standing. I expect him to be a 16 and 9 guy, especially with Yao anchoring the Defense.

Most improved by Artest move: Shane Battier.
    He always had to guard the best player on the other team,and then was expected to be a scoring option. With Artest coming to the Rockets, Shane will be able to alternate defensively and have more opportunity's to come in the game as a shooter,rather then a defender.

Biggest surprise for 08-09 season:Steve Francis.
    I know I'm going to hear from you "Realistic" Rocket fans, but I really believe Steve Francis can be a big contributor to this team. His been injured the last few years, and as a close friend I know his been doing much better,and honestly see him in the best shape since his early Rockets days.

Rockets strength: So many weapons and match ups to use this season.

Rockets weaknesses: Back up for Yao. Deke is expected to re-sign, but I don't no how much gas he has left in the tank. Joey Dorsey can probably play some Back up C, Scola also can switch to the C. Expect a move before the dead-line for a back up.

side notes: Carl Landry was a big part of the 22 game winning streak last year, and can be a valuable asset If he is re-signed. I don't believe the injury to Carl landry's knee will bother him this season.

Overall: I could put the Rockets #1 in the West, but I need to see them play first and see how they will mesh together. The Lakers made it to the finals so they have rights to take the title of best in the west. I expect big things from the Rockets this year,and I'm not talking about second round big. Championship or BUST.

9. Big Shot Bob

Big Shot Bob Member

Ya'll need to give up all this steve francis crap. If he contributes anything next year that's great but he's not even a second tier player anymore.

10. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

I was reading your points and thinking: wow there's this realistic guy with insight. And then I see the Francis part and my brain does a somersault. :p

11. blender

blender Member

ALL THE WAY, BABY!!

...to the top lotto pick in next year's draft. :D

12. rfila

rfila Member

When I started this thread, I really thought there was a lot to talk about this Rockets team.

Other than Ron Artest, there is not much change on paper of the team. Some times, a team makes a lot of change in roster yet the team is basically the same. Last year, there were quite a few exciting trades yet the team did not change much. This year could be just the opposite because many players in the team are at a crucial point of their career. T-mac is in his last year of the contract with Rockets, there got to be some kind of urgency on his career achievement and his future contract. Yao also start to feel that kind of urgency. Scola has just established his position with the team. Battier/Hayes etc. needs to response the change of the role with the arrival of Ron Artest. Basically, everyone in the team has to adjust to the new situation and makes change accordingly.

I think it is a lot harder to predict the team this coming season than previous seasons. I was hoping this thread could get some insightful predictions from some serious fans, especially from the fans who have paid special attention to specific player, and eventually give a better picture of the team.

For that reason, I appreciate the input from roflmcwaffles and dkoune.

13. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Screw the predictions. With lofty predictions/expectations comes the inevitable onslaught from the media and analysts. Let's just stay healthy, win basketball games and let the haters hate.

14. thiuronium

thiuronium Member

I like this one.

15. dexkk

dexkk Member

Very optimistic. I give you A++. Now let's get out of first round.

16. LoveRoxHateJazz

92ppg
    hold opponents to 82ppg

17. rocketanalyist

Very good post and summary of a lot of what is said positive on the board. I also think that the Rockets have the opportunity and good possibility to come out of the gate and become dominate just like the Celtics did last year when everyone was expecting them to need time to mesh instead. No one expected the Celtics to have as good of a record as they did last year, or to win it all until they got to the end of the season.

I see, as my signature says, the Rockets coming out of the gate running on all cyclinders and winning 66 games as well as blowing many teams out, with several winning streaks during the year.

18. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

the addition of ron will help limit tmacs minutes to about 30-32 a game. the minutes saved will hopefully allow him to play more games with less wear and tear on his body.

the rockets can do the same with yao, if scola takes his game to the next level.

19. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Very good post. Concerning Steve Francis, i'd have to agree. Not because I am a fan of Francis or because I want him to do well. Just because I think he is the only player who can still wow me. I've seen Scola, Landry, Battier, even Alston and Brooks impressed me. The only guy who can still do it is Francis, and he might have a shot.

20. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Oh yeah and btw, I forgot to say that I am quite frightened with the two next summers ahead.

2009 FA: Ron Artest - Unrestricted
    2010 FA: Luis Scola - Restricted
    Rafer Alston - Unrestricted
    Tracy McGrady - Unrestricted
    Yao Ming - Unrectricted

That is our starting Five. All gone by 2010? Will we have the money to keep a couple? Scary years ahead for the Rockets. Years of changement...