1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Prediction of 2014 win total based on team stats and history

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Aug 1, 2013.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

Instead of looking at individual players, I want to make a thread that discuss the Rockets TEAM potential, based on last year and offseason changes.

Parts spoilered to minimize tl;dr

Last season Rockets Review
    ORtg: 109.7 (6th)
    DRtg: 106.1 (16th)
    Point Differential: +3.5
    Pythagorean Win total: 50
    Actual Win Total: 45

Offseason Changes
    Plus
    1. Making a conservative estimate of ~30mpg from Dwight Howard in the regular season. This means he replaces ~18minutes of Smith/Patterson/any other backup C, and replaces ~12mpg of Asik.

2. Asik at ~18mpg slight improvement in efficiency with less minutes

3. Youth Grows older and get more experience with Rockets

4. Better chemistry with training camp and previous season together

Minus

1. Likely won't be as lucky with injuries this year

2. Minutes likely more monitored, especially with Parsons and Harden, both of whom were injured towards the end of the year.

Note: Garcia/Cassipi/Camby for Delfino/TRob/PPat/Morris IMO is more or less a wash.

Predicting Rockets offense and defense for 2014
    Offense
    Assumptions:
    Howard is significantly better than Asik on offense.
    Asik is roughly the same as his backups(Smith, Patterson, etc.) on offense, which based on last year's on/off court seems to suggest as such..
    Our youngsters make minor improvements on offense as a collective
    Harden and Parsons play less minutes given their possible injury/fatigue issues to end last season

Predicted ORtg: +1 from last year, to make it 110.7. This accounts for possible injuries and lesser Harden minutes. But counter that with Howard being an absolute beast on the PnR and added post-up dimension

Defense

Assumptions:
    Howard defense between LA quality and Orlando quality. On-court opponent rating the past 3 years: 102.1, 102.0, 105.5. Neither the Lakers nor the Magic in these years were strong defensive teams without him. So it's not too different from the Rockets
    Asik improve slightly with more experience and lesser minutes. On-court opponent rating last year was 104.2.
    Everyone else improves slightly with experience and chemistry

Predicted DRtg: 103~104. So split it down the middle for 103.5

Sum things up: If we assume the Rockets have a 110.7 ORtg and 103.5DRtg, and only slightly slower pace because of Howard(say pace of 95), they'll have a point differential of +6.8.

Est. Pythagorean Win Total: 59 Wins

Wins of recent teams with near +6.8 point differential
    2013 Spurs 59 wins +6.5
    2013 Clippers 56 wins +6.4
    2011 Lakers 57 wins +6.1
    2011 Bulls 62 wins +7.3
    2010 Cleveland 61 wins +6.5

My personal prediction: 58~60 wins with "some" injuries. 53~55 if Harden or Howard misses a chunk of time.

2. Chef_Monteur

Chef_Monteur Member

Not seeing 59 wins this year. Maybe if we played in the east.

In the west we have to deal with OKC, SA, Clips, Memphis, Golden State, Denver, a Dallas team that always gives us problems regardless of how good they are, Portland will be better this year too. If the T-wolves are healthy this year they will be dangerous and serious playoff contenders too.

On top of it, our division is the toughest in the league. San Antonio didn't even win 59 games last year and you could still argue that they're a much deeper team than us and they definately have more experience.

I think 54 or 55 wins is an obtainable goal, but even that is going to be difficult. If either Harden or Howard miss decent time I don't think we win more than 50 games.

3. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

Long reply........

First, you go strictly by last year's RAPM performance, Dwight was a -0.78 on offense, while Asik was -0.82. In other words, Asik and Dwight had virtually the same impact on offense.

A lot of things have to go our way for him to have the same offensive impact or even better than Smith (-0.12) or Parsons (-0.25). If you expect him to beast on PnR's, he will have to 'buy-in' on what's best for the team and NOT his individual development on post-ups.

His numbers of PnR's to Post-ups were roughly 1:4 and efficiency was 1.29 and 0.74 respectively. Only about 2.2 PnR's/game ended with Dwight. He will not have a positive impact by scoring only 3 points on PnR's and 6.3 points/game on 8.5 possessions in post-ups. The gap between Asik and Dwight of Lakers was very little, roughtly one point/200 possessions. If we project wins by using Dwight of Lakers, it will be more like Asik playing 48 min instead of 30 min/game.

However, Dwight was injured coming into the season. He was unhappy and played under fans and media pressure. He had an awful year by his standard.

Two unkown factors that will determine our wins this season:

1. Which Dwight are we getting? If we somehow get Dwight who is half way between Magic and Lakers, we can pick up about 3 more wins. A 2010-11 Dwight will give us 6 more wins. This is only counting on Asik/Dwight difference.

2. How will Asik and Dwight play together? This is also the key to how far we go into the playoffs. Dwight, Harden, and Asik are the most impactful players on the team. Ideally you want them on the court as much as possible. If Dwight and Asik can't co-exist, their impact will not only be greatly reduced but we will be forced to play G Smith, TJone or DMo whom are no where near as Asik.

There is a way you can directly translate individual RAPM into MOV (Margin of Victory) on per game basis.
    Lets say if Player X played 24 min/game for the season, and his RAMP was +6 for 200 possessions. His contribution to MOV would be almost +3/game (our pace was roughly 193 possessions/game). If you add all the players up, you have a MOV for the team. And by using Morey's Pythagorean Win model or 2.54*MOV+41=wins prediction, we can calculate wins for next season. Here are my calculations under different circumstances:

Default values for MP/game:
    Harden 32
    Howard 30
    O Asik 24
    J Lin 32
    Parsons 32
    Beverley 20
    Garcia 18.5
    G Smith 18.5
    T Jones 15
    Donatas 15
    Brooks 3
    ------------
    240 min total

Same performance as last season just by adding Dwight of Lakers:
    MOV (Margin of Victory/game) +6.0
    Wins projection: 55 wins.

Considering that young players will improve, based on Influence of Player's Age by Engelmann.
    Improvement:
    Harden
    Asik
    Parsons
    G Smith
    DMo
    T Jone

Remain the same:
    Dwight
    Brooks

Players on decline: Garcia

MOV: +7.2
    Wins: 59 wins (Which is what OP's estimated)

Dwight of 2010-11 with improved roster:
    MOV: +9.7
    Wins: 65 wins

Those wins might seem a lot but you have to remember that our MOV was +3.5 and actually underperformed by 5 wins on paper. Dwight of Lakers isn't valued at 10 wins; it's actually 5 wins and mostly contributed to the 18 min that Asik was off the court.

#3 kuku, Aug 1, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  4. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

We should be 10 games better this year. If course the 4 spot is a concern. Also the PG spot needs consistency.

5. basketballholic

It would be a bad assumption to go off last year's RAPM for Dwight. He wasn't healthy for half the season. And PnR in LA basically stood for Pick and Rebound.

My estimate is around 56 wins if everyone is relatively healthy. I'm going to assume Dwight goes back to around 90-95% of his 2011 form.

More important to me however is how this team is going to stack up in the playoffs. What I see with the naked eye, before any games or playoff series unfold, is a team that should beat Memphis. With Dwight and Asik on the interior, we negate Memphis' greatest strength. So, I'm pretty sure this team takes out Memphis ... even if Memphis has homecourt advantage.

OKC - Looks like a toss-up to me. As a homey, I'd really favor us...unless OKC makes another significant move. I do think Reggie Williams is going to explode this year however...making OKC even tougher.

SA - I don't think we have enough experience to beat them IF they are all healthy. However they are aged, and the little ding to Tony is what cost them the Finals. So, the chance of them being dinged at the end is great. BUT...if they are healthy...they are the team to beat in my opinion..still.

Clips - I truly believe that despite all the depth they added they didn't get significantly on the interior which is where their Achilles heal is. UNLESS Blake takes a huge step forward...we are better than they are in a 7-game series.

We win every other playoff matchup.

6. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Why no one mentioned Delfino?

Losing him isn't so easy to replace. Garcia may do the similar role, but doubt he will provide the same production. Hopefully one of the 3 point shooters turns out good to fill in.

7. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

OK

Delfino was a spark many times for us but we have upgraded the bench a lot this off season to more than make up for Delfino. What I am looking at mostly is the starting 5.

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If Reggie Williams explodes as you say, the Rockets will be tough for OKC to beat.

9. gwatson86

gwatson86 Contributing Member

I think he meant Reggie Jackson. A lot of people think he's primed to blossom into a sixth man of the year candidate in OKC after his performance in the playoffs and with Kevin Martin gone.

1 person likes this.
  10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Meh- I dont see minuses factoring in higher quality of competition.

Essentially every team (except for the Jazz) in the West got significantly better, and some mediocre teams are going to be healthier. I would assume that will bring the win total down some with every team in the West, not just the Rockets.

11. SSP365

SSP365 Member

anything less than 55 wins is a disappointment.

12. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

I remember Morey said on the radio, probably around the trade deadline that he believed the roster would improve by 5 wins just based on chemistry and play improvement because they are so young.

If he believed that, than there should be no reason an Orlando version of Dwight wouldn't improve us by 5-6 wins. I'll say 57 wins and 3rd seed.

13. basketballholic

thanks for the catch.

14. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

The Rockets should be improved at every position next year.

Howard started playing like superman again the last 5 weeks of the season. Which was completely predictable give his back surgeon's estimate of Howard's recovery time. Howard will probably again be the best center in the NBA next season by a large margin. A significant upgrade. To demonstrate Howard's impact I have chosen a fairly basic measure of performance; the +/- over the last 5 seasons.

LeBron James +3,330
    Dwyane Wade +2,055
    Dwight Howard +1,989
    Tim Duncan +1,872
    Kobe Bryant +1,822

While TJ did well in the summer league, D-Mo is spending his time training and playing with his national team, which will soon compete against the best teams in the world. So fans should have a reliable indicator of D-Mo's improvements before next season begins. Hopefully the high level competition will allow D-Mo to improve his game more than would usually be seen during the off season.

We have 2 data points and 1 delta to estimate where Parsons will be next season. A reasonable improvement in 13/14 to Parsons game is 50% of his improvement last season over his rookie year puts Parsons line next season at 18.5/5.6/4.2. That is one heck of an offense for a small forward who is a defensive plus also.

Harden. Need I say more? If he tightens up his defense and improves ball movement from last season? Well he is already a top 3 SG (at least).

Lin, like Howard came into last season recovering from an injury. He, like Howard improved as the season progressed. Hopefully he will be quicker, stronger and a better shooter next season.

Any bench that can trot out Asik, Bev and 3 good role players is going to be one of the best benches in the NBA.

Last season they won 45 games. I see +5 wins due to having a stable roster (and not having to blow up the team strategically as happened two days before the season started last year), +5 wins due to maturation of the roster, +3 wins adding Howard, and +3 wins with Asik providing 48 minutes of paint protection. +16 wins. 61 wins.

15. chris845

chris845 Member

I going to go with 55 wins this year. Wild card is if Dwight is healthy for the full season. I still that OKC and SA are top two in the west but we're definitely closing in on them.

16. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

can't give a number really, but I think we'll finish ahead of SA.

17. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

Dave... you're crazy.

18. thedude077

thedude077 Member

I see them winning 50-55 games this year, 4th seed. Top 10 defense and top 5 offense.

19. da_juice

da_juice Member

Not sure about the Grizz. I worry about playing them. I think they're too physical for us (even with Howard and Asik) and too good on defense. I can see Randolph going off on Motiejuanas.

20. linvetb6

linvetb6 Member

59??? Damnn lol hopefully but well see