1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Prediction: Jeffery Taylor Will Be a Lotto Pick

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by coachbadlee, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Probably 14 -25. NBA proven defender w/o a shot. Teams in lottery more willing to swing for the fences even if they strike out more. Striking out gets them a high lottery pick. A player like Parsons isn't a savior and will hurt chances to draft a savior.

2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I would say 12-23. Parsons shot was getting much better toward the end of the season.
    The reason i asked is because Taylor is a better shooter and defender than Parsons was in his last college season.
    I mean, i'm looking over the kids game log and it's crazy!

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/41709/jeffery-taylor

It seems he was at his best when going up against the best!!!:eek:

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

This is what i am talking about.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mUkbgIBKaCY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Parsons is a proven NBA defender. That counts for a lot more than their senior years in college.

5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Mehh...time will tell.;)

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Don't know if anyone noticed, but he is mainly guarding PGs and SGs in this video.

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Whoa, BR comes through???
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-benefit-from-great-pre-draft-workouts/page/2

The info is on Insider, but.......

8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Uh oh...;)

http://www.raptorshq.com/2012/5/29/3051360/kris-joseph-in-the-bay-for-his-first-draft-workout

As you can see, nothing was said about Joseph's play yet. I am willing to bet that going up against Jeffrey Taylor, it probably wasn't a good experience.

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

http://minnesota.sbnation.com/minne...ft-2012-minnesota-timberwolves-jeffrey-taylor

The wonders a few good workouts can do.;)

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

The great Chad Ford chimes in:

11. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

If Jeffrey Taylor better than Chandler Parsons

why are you so high on him?

12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I feel he is our SG of the future. He is a good fit next to Parsons.

13. RealContender

RealContender Rookie

Coach, your steadfast admiration of Jeff Taylor is unbelievable.

However, I'm hoping Chandler Parsons is relegated to a 6th Man role very soon due to the acquisition (Draft or FA) of a SF who has the chops to be a stud 3-man. Parsons is good...but he's more suited for a complementary role off the bench. Just like Courtney Lee. Just like Marcus Camby. Just like Luis Scola. Just like Patrick Patterson. Just like every other player we've got on this team.

'Tis time for a superstar in Houston! Time to make Hakeem proud to say he was a Rocket again.

Mark my words Coach...Jeff Taylor is a career 10 point per game guy in the NBA. We've got plenty of those already. Don't need another one.

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

Jeffrey Taylor reminds me a lot of a more athletic Battier, except with worse shooting and bball IQ. I dunno why you think he's better than Parsons solely based on Parsons' college play, Parsons' college play was horrible, and he was known more for his "versatile" scoring abilities rather than his defensive prowess in college. You should be comparing the "current" NBA Parsons to Taylor instead of the college one, because the college and the pro Parsons could be seen as different persons, the college Parsons was known for disappearing on the court while the Pro Parsons is guarding KD and doing tip jams on everyone.

The only issue I have with Jeffrey Taylor is that he's already 23 despite still being a rookie, he's basically a man playing among boys which can inflate his abilities. This also makes his playing career rather limited, as he's already Parsons' age but Parsons is already a soph and will be going into his 2nd training camp already. Despite your prediction I highly doubt Taylor will be picked in the lottery because of his age, I think mid-to late round is the best place for him and with all the high potential players in this draft I think he could fall all the way to the 2nd, like Parsons.

15. cdastros

cdastros Member

Jeff Taylor is not better than Courtney Lee at just about anything. Lee is a better defender, ball handler and shooter than Taylor. Instead of drafting Taylor the Rockets could just re-sign Lee.

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Or they could resign Lee and have Taylor as his back-up.

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Idk. If Parsons were to come off the bench, how would he guard people like Kobe, Durant, Lebron, Granger and give them trouble. Parsons allure in the starting line-up is his ability to make superstars work. Same as Lee. The problem with Lee is that he is too short to guard some SG's. They end up just shooting over him.

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

19. cdastros

cdastros Member

It is great to add defensive stoppers to your team when you have all-stars that can carry the load. Now is not the time for the Rockets to draft the next Shane Battier. Now is the time to draft the next Rudy Gay, or the next Tony Parker.

20. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

coach, don't get me wrong. I, too, like Jeff Taylor as a late first round steal (a la Courtney Lee in 2008). But you officially lost me with that bolded part. I honestly don't think there's been a player to come out of college in the past 15 years with a higher basketball IQ than Shane Battier.

Taylor's bball IQ is better because he was a LEADER? What the hell was Battier for that NCAA Championship Duke team? He was the clear leader, even though there were guys on that team who were better players than him (namely, Jason Williams). He came out of Duke as a senior tweener forward without supreme athleticism--something that normally would have spelled late first/early second round pick--yet he went #6 overall . . . and nobody batted a freakin' eyelash!

You know why? Because his basketball IQ was off the bleeping charts!!!

Please take that comment back. Please???? :grin: