1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Predict the Texans Win Total 2016

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by cwebbster, Aug 22, 2016.

?

What range of wins will we get this year?

1. 10+ wins

60.6%
  2. 7 to 9 wins

35.8%
  3. 4 to 6 wins

2.4%
  4. 1 to 3 wins

1.2%
  1. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Before the start of the season, I had us at 11-5 thinking the additions to offense and continuity at defense should give us 2 more wins.

1. Bears W in the books
    2. Chiefs L
    3. @Patriots W
    4. Titans W
    5. @Vikings W
    6. Colts W
    7. @Broncos L
    8. Lions W
    9. Bye W
    10. @Jaguars W
    11. @Raiders W-L
    12. Chargers W
    13. @Packers L
    14. @Colts L
    15. Jaguars W
    16. Bengals L
    17. @Titans W

10-6 11-5 with my debate coming on the Oakland game. However, after watching week one, I think the Patriots are still scary, and either the Jags are more scary or the Packers are less scary. Really hoping we can beat the Chiefs, if we do, I will be entirely more comfortable thinking any game is winnable.

2. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

If key players stay healthy, the sky is the limit. Watt, Clowney, Mercilus, Osweiler, Fuller, Miller and Hopkins being the most key obviously. Brock is going to get better and better each week... Bill O'Brien is a freaking QB genius.

I think we win Week 2 against the Chiefs at home. The team (and fans) want revenge.

3. Nimo

Nimo Member

one down. Feeefteeen to go.

4. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

http://www.espn.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/123904/the-houston-texans-case-as-a-top-10-team

Havent been top 10 in a while. Hope we can keep it going, winning the next 2 games will be huge.

The Houston Texans moved up six spots to No. 7 in this week’s power rankings, the second-largest jump in the rankings heading into Week 2 (Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 10 spots).

It is the first time ESPN’s Power Panel has ranked Houston inside the top 10 since they were ranked No. 4 in Week 3 of the 2013 season.

Their win over the Chicago Bears had to be an impressive one for the power panel to move them up in the rankings so quickly. The Texans sacked Jay Cutler five times, allowed 4.8 yards per play, ran for 129 yards and saw what their season might look like with strong quarterback play and more than one dynamic wide receiver.

Let’s examine Houston’s case as a top-10 team in the NFL after seeing their new-look offense.

Osweiler’s clutch downfield throws

Brock Osweiler had an impressive debut for the Texans. He posted a 78.5 Total QBR against Chicago, the 11th-best QBR in the league in Week 1.

Much of the high QBR comes from Osweiler completing key passes deep downfield. His average throw Sunday traveled 11.7 yards past the line of scrimmage, highest in the league. Osweiler was the only quarterback who threw 20 or more yards downfield on over 20 percent of his pass attempts in Week 1.

One of Osweiler’s highlights of the day was a pass thrown 23 yards into the back corner of the end zone for a touchdown to DeAndre Hopkins.

Osweiler had another highlight-reel throw on third down in the middle of the fourth quarter. This one was perfectly placed down the left sideline to rookie Will Fuller and it extended the drive that eventually gave the Texans a two-score lead.

Hopkins-Fuller a dynamic duo

The duo of Hopkins and Fuller at wide receiver could be one the best combinations that the Texans have ever had at the position. The Texans have never had multiple 1,000-yard receivers in a single season, but Fuller, who was the No. 21 overall pick in this year’s draft, got off to a great start.

Fuller became the first Texans rookie to post at least 100 receiving yards in a season opener. He showed impressive ball skills on the deep pass from Osweiler and great after-the-catch ability on his touchdown reception earlier in the quarter.

Osweiler’s screen pass to Fuller early in the fourth quarter was a low one, but the rookie was able to scoop up the pass and run straight through the Bears’ defense for the 18-yard score.

Houston’s wide receivers had one receiving touchdown on screen passes in the previous three seasons combined.

Miller Finally Featured

Lamar Miller never touched the ball 25 times in a game in 61 career games with the Miami Dolphins. In his debut in a Texans uniform, Miller set career highs in rushes (28) and total touches (32).

Miller was one of only two players who rushed for at least 100 yards in Week 1, with DeAngelo Williams being the other. It was Miller’s third career game with at least 100 rushing yards and a rushing touchdown.

Looking ahead

The Texans play the Kansas City Chiefs in what should be one of the best matchups in the NFL in Week 2. ESPN’s Football Power Index gives the Texans a 55 percent chance to win at home, the second-closest projected matchup of the weekend.

Houston has lost the last three meetings between the teams, including a 30-0 loss in last year’s wild-card round. The Texans’ new-look offense will be a much tougher test for Kansas City this time around. In the 30-point loss, Brian Hoyer threw four interceptions and posted a QBR of 1.7.

5. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sounds like the Patriots won't see Rob Gronkowski until Week 4 at earliest. He doesn't seem to have progressed at all &amp; short week in WK 3.</p>&mdash; Will Gellman (@Will_Gellman) <a href="https://twitter.com/Will_Gellman/status/776475935335776256">September 15, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

6. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I would like to say this is good news, but Arizona couldnt beat them at home. Bill Belicheck scares me.

That being said, how legit would it be for the student to come back and beat the master.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Agreed. Everyone seems to be chalking this one up as a win just because Brady is out. They still have Belicheck and that defense is legit. Plus they are practically unbeatable at home.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

wrd. also pats just likely being cautious on graonk especially with brady out. houston is their toughest opponent in their next 3 games. assuming a loss 3-1 without brady and gronk is definitely a win

9. Nimo

Nimo Member

It would be more legit if it was in the AFC championship game. :)

10. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Arizona "could have" beat them but missed a make-able FG and I wasn't impressed with the Pats D. Belicheck with time to prepare is scary good but this is a short week so I think it comes down to talent on the roster and I think our roster will be better than theirs when we play. They will be missing their 3 best players on the roster in Brady, Gronk, and Ninkovich.

11. Nimo

Nimo Member

With all the weapons the Cardinals have on offense, no way it should have even come down to a last minute field goal. The Pats D is legit.

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'd be very surprised if we win the next two games.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah but they had been having problems in the pre-season with their starters too so it could have been a mix of the Pats D and the Cardinals offense just not gelling yet.

I expect the Pats to be a big challenge even without Brady and Gronk, but I think there's a pretty good chance the Texans win.

14. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

if you had to pick, which would you rather we beat?

Anyone else weigh in..

15. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Patriots

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

kc. especially with our recent outings against them.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Patriots for sure. The national narrative if the Texans fall to the Pats will be ridiculous.

18. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Agree, I'd rather be their only loss without Tommy.

19. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Also, I'm calling my shot at 12-4.

1. Bears W in the books
    2. Chiefs W
    3. @Patriots W
    4. Titans W
    5. @Vikings L
    6. Colts W
    7. @Broncos W
    8. Lions W
    9. Bye W
    10. @Jaguars L
    11. @Raiders L
    12. Chargers W
    13. @Packers L
    14. @Colts W
    15. Jaguars W
    16. Bengals W
    17. @Titans W

Yeah I'm a homer, but I really like this team.

20. Nimo

Nimo Member

Definitely the chiefs. Which would you rather have:

"The Texans can't beat the Patriots"
    or
    "The Texans can't beat the Chiefs"