1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Prayers for Senator McCain (diagnosed with brain cancer)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Jul 19, 2017.

1. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

You'll notice the first two are in the blog section and are opinion pieces, not news. You'll also notice 3 different writers.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  2. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Both died of brain cancer on August 25th.

jcf likes this.
  3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I agree that we were better by a long shot with him NOT winning the presidency and that’s why I voted for Obama. Even for Senator I would have surely voted for his Dem opponent if I lived in AZ.

Then there’s the fact that he’s the poster boy for the need for term limits in the Senate.

Still with all that being said, he’s still someone that deeply cared for this country and was a true patriot. He was never in it for self enrichment or would never sell out the country to a foreign power. Few in Congress legitimately serve the country anymore. That’s where McCain is the example that is trying to be set.

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

McCain was a great American. We need more men like him. I disagreed with him on many things, but he had character.

It's a shame so many on the right are celebrating his death - someone writes "Finally" and it gets nearly 600 likes on Breitbart. Trump supporters are nasty people.

[​IMG]

#84 Sweet Lou 4 2, Aug 26, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    jcf and Hakeemtheking like this.
  5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I don't know how someone could label McCain a racist.

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I've actually seen comments just today that said his defending then Senator Obama in that town hall was a racist attack on Arabs.

Don't turn that into a "SJW moment". It's not. It's merely some people taking the comment out of context and not listening the the entire exchange.

mdrowe00 and B-Bob like this.
  7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I don't doubt you. I'm sure we can all find people that hold all ranges of beliefs with sticks up their asses who have access to a smartphone and a Twitter account .

mdrowe00 likes this.
  8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think it's wrong or disrespectful to talk or even criticize John McCain on some of his stances and rhetoric. One of the most admirable things about John McCain was his willingness to publicly reexamine himself and his positions. He himself said he would like to be remembered as someone who served his country but did make many mistakes. That is a quality that not many of our politicians have anymore.

9. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I find it interesting that some are accusing John McCain of racism and am reminded of another controversy about him. In the 1990's he once said that he wouldn't apologize or regret calling the Vietnamese that tortured him "Gooks". I remember many Asians getting upset about it and also getting into a debate with some local Asian activists about it. I agree it is a horrible slur but we also have to consider that he was held for 5.5 years as POW under torture and terrible conditions. Even with that history though he still was willing to normalize relations with Vietnam and seek reconciliation. That he might've still had a very deep anger towards his specific torturers is only natural but it was more important to look at how his willingness to seek reconciliation with the country that tortured him. To me that was far more evidence that he wasn't racist than just what his personal feelings towards those individuals were.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, that was a pretty much BS attack.

11. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I just rewatched McCain's concession speech in 2008 and this should be seen and reseen by everyone who loves this country and believes in it. This speech expresses some of the highest ideals of this country and has a nobility that since that night only 10 years ago has become scarcer and scarcer. I'm going to bluntly say this speech should be heeded to especially by members of the current Republican party as a reminder of the dignity and willingness to see one's political opponents not as enemies but as fellow Americans. A reminder that we can hold very strong political differences while still recognizing a common love of country. Compare that to today when the standard bearer the Grand Old Party has built himself up by pandering to the worst instincts of his supporters and literally made a living of belittling opponents even those of his same party. It is sad to watch and to realize now how much an act of bravery it was for McCain to quiet and calm his own supporters when they were about to indulge in their most extremist rhetoric.
    None of this was out of character though for a man who considered some of his best friends his most ardent political opponents and was even willing to make peace with those who where his mortal enemies and had tortured him for years. Saddly we will never see McCain's like again and his brand of politics is fading..

Yung-T, Deckard, mdrowe00 and 2 others like this.
  12. jcf

jcf Member

RL posted AOC's tweet regarding his death and it was a gracious message about a dead public servant. The replies to the tweet, however, mirror the ones you quote above but come from those on the far left. Condemning AOC for saying anything nice about a war criminal who is now burning in hell.

Only thing I can take from this is that (I hope) there are a number of hateful, vocal people on the fringes of both sides who do not represent the views of either group fairly.

13. TheresTheDagger

14. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I love that McCain was able to admit he made mistakes and try and change when he knew he was wrong.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  15. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

President of France praising Senator McCain...

16. NewRoxFan

... as does the PM of Canada, along with other world leaders.

17. NewRoxFan

Every one... well, ....

pahiyas likes this.
  18. pahiyas

pahiyas Member

Trump is dead?

19. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It was Palin that was doing it until he told her to cut it out. Since he chose her then he's pretty much on the hook for it.

These rallies were the precursor to these idiots out here for Trump.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  20. NewRoxFan