1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Prayers for Senator McCain (diagnosed with brain cancer)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Jul 19, 2017.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The worst thing we can do for John McCain is make his last stand all about “that one guy”. Regardless of the final leg of his tour of duty, his service to this country is his real lifetime achievement. True patriot.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  2. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

GBM is a terrible disease. RIP McCain.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

As suited for someone so respected, many people have offered their respects to the man and condolences to the McCain family. But here is an especially eloquent one:

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

RIP John McCain. He served the nation and was a true hero. It was seldom that I agreed with his politics. But there was little doubt of his commitment and desire to serve the United States in the way that he thought best. He was a large figure in the history of our Senate.

5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Absolutely. It is the deadliest, least talked about cancer. Just terrible.

RIP to a true American hero.

Yung-T and FranchiseBlade like this.
  6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Nice.

May he Rest In Peace. I didn’t agree with much of his politics and he does share some blame for the divisiveness of today (by elevating Palin) but he was an honorable man and a true American hero. Anyone that says otherwise is a coward and a terrible person.

Watch the doc that HBO did on him. It’s pretty incredible.

7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Even if I disagreed with him often, John McCain was a national hero and an honorable man. RIP

8. NewRoxFan

9. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I am legitimately sad. He was a good man and spoke to what was true to his principles, regardless of what he was expected to do. The world lost a hero today.

Yung-T and Nook like this.
  10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Holy crap, that is literally making me and Mrs. B-Bob cry.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  11. NewRoxFan

12. Nook

Nook Member

I find the condolences and comments of Donald Trump mourning the death of Senator McCain especially touching and indicative of the leadership we need.

foh likes this.
  13. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

...well, with respect...

John McCain was a decent man. In many ways, he still is.

...I've never done well at funerals...never know what I'm supposed to say, or how, exactly, I'm supposed to feel...

...maybe a joke would help lighten the mood...

...anybody hear the one about the guy who was dying of cancer just to keep somebody from getting elected...?

Arizona GOP Senate candidate Kelli Ward accuses John McCain of dying to push ‘negative narrative’ about her

...I mean...funny...right?

Has to be a joke, right?

...or is it still too soon?

Hakeemtheking and Invisible Fan like this.
  14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I will be “that guy” here...McCain was an amazingly honorable soldier but he represented everything that is wrong with American foreign policy.

This is an old article but it pretty much sums everything up.

https://www.cato.org/publications/commentary/john-mccain-foreign-policy-even-worse-bush

I know we celebrate people in death but his views were some of the most dangerous views out there. Him becoming president would likely have been an extremely destructive 4 years. I don’t know how this stuff can simply be forgotten.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I don't think it will be forgotten. He was definitely a hawk, but for some, "extremely destructive" encompasses a lot of harmful domestic policy, and McCain was not a driver of that. I hear you, and it's fine to be "that guy," the D&D forum anyway.

16. Nook

Nook Member

What the hell is wrong with people.

Yung-T, AroundTheWorld and mdrowe00 like this.
  17. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

One of the great figures of our recent history. A Republican I could disagree with on policy, but rarely on source of conviction. I believe the man genuinely wanted what was best for the United States; he just had different ideas of how to get there.

A lot of people will call his pick of Palin as VP a black mark and they’re not far off. However, I think few of us can imagine what it is like to be on the cusp of assuming the most important job in the world and, sensing that you’re sailing into headwinds (Obama), feeling like you need to roll the dice to achieve the thing you’ve always wanted. People who pretend that politicians are selfless are naive and I think John McCain really wanted to be president. The clips of him rebuking GOP voters who insisted that then-Senator Obama was “an Arab” show that Senator McCain hadn’t totally recognized how the ground had shifted beneath him; the rot of the GOP base was seeping through the cracks and, in his decency, Senator McCain tried to reasonably talk it down. I do believe he was blindsided by the type of people whose votes he was trying to win.

Prayers to his family.

18. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

...yeah...so...uh....

...not funny, huh?

...comedy's all in the timing, anyway...
    ...but I suppose being a jackass plays well anytime for some people....

19. TheresTheDagger

20. Senator

Senator Member

Just a terrible, terrible site that has hurt the world's opinion of modern day feminism as aggressive, petty and power hungry instead of anything related to feminism.
    RIP Senator McCain.