1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Prayers for Senator McCain (diagnosed with brain cancer)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Jul 19, 2017.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Well, even more than the Senate, he was a big source of sanity for our allies overseas, where they all think we've lost our marbles.

And yes, I think that's correct on governor's role. I would expect that happening sooner than later, McCain's understandable optimism notwithstanding. (Actually, in the finer print, do states get to have their own rules for replacing a senator? I should know that.)

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I read that people with his type of cancer don't have a survival rate beyond 15 months.

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I hope he's able to recover fully. I don't agree with him on a lot of things (he's the primary cause for the scourge of Palin)...but it's good to have a more moderate voice on the right. Plus, he seems like a genuinely nice guy. If you listen to the Dan Patrick Show at all, they were all pretty bummed about this today as he's been a relatively frequent guest.

5. Exiled

Exiled Member

despite the chemo's torture chamber talks, he's ok

B-Bob and Yung-T like this.
  6. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Speaking of, visited some conservative sites and the comment section sewers. Some people in his party are loudly CLAPPING about this, insulting McCain CHEERING for him to die. With the kind of vitriol thats too expected now. Its almost like any semi-sane/moderate anything has orders to be shot down on sight and put away.

(Funny enough, close to it was an article making fun of liberal "tolerance" showing an instance of liberals being mean. Pointing out others hypocrisy then following it with a worse form of their own). Its quite sad the state that things have turned into. McCain going away would signify unfortunate change over to worsened conditions

7. JuanValdez

I saw the article about the politician saying McCain should resign and angling to take his place. Very poor form. If he doesn't want to retire, I'm happy to keep him on. But, he really should retire soon.

8. B-Bob

More than moderate, it feels more like anyone who could dare think independently from "the team" or who could ever collaborate with a democrat.

Shroopy2 likes this.
  9. JuanValdez

Man, that's what you get for visiting comment sections.

Shroopy2 likes this.
  10. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

As sad as his illness is, it's also a perfect illustration of the choices we face as a nation wrt medical care. Is it worth spending tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars eking out an extra 9-12 painful months for an 80 y.o.? What would his options be if he were on medicaid instead of the congressional Cadillac health insurance? Etc.

11. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

12. Exiled

Exiled Member

He's going to give a speech,it won't be easy , decisions making and staying focused will be his biggest challenges for the time being

13. NewRoxFan

An important statement to keep in mind when thinking of the maverick McCain, he has voted 90% along with Trump. Including today.

14. NewRoxFan

Really sad news... more prayers for Senator McCain and his family...

cml750 and B-Bob like this.
  15. JuanValdez

I don't know if it is important to him, but I've kinda wanted to be able to close the Trump chapter before McCain dies so he could go out knowing the nation was going to be okay. It doesn't look its going to happen in time for him.

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

RIP John McCain

Agree or not with him politically, the guy is a true hero and a patriot. We are worse off without him as a leader in our country.

17. NewRoxFan

Sad news... a great man. Prayers for the McCain family.

B-Bob and jcf like this.
  18. B-Bob

I am really truly saddened by this news. Guess I should have shared the political part of my response in this forum, but whatever.

Just very sad. I don't know that we produce people like him anymore.

Exiled likes this.
  19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

it's nice that you've changed your tone about him after he wasn't running for president anymore, it would be pretty tacky if you were still saying half of the awful things you used to say about him. It would make Trump blush.

20. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

RIP John McCain.

A true national hero. Your fight is finally over.

Shame on the scumbag-in-chief for making fun of McCain in his last few months on this earth. How pretty it seems then and now.

Yung-T, AroundTheWorld and Eric Riley like this.