1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Power Forward Rotation?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by for-three, Feb 24, 2016.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

i think historically they have had to be the same players at times. Cause otherwise you are up against the cap consistently and don't have room to add multiple players that excel in one or two areas, at their fair market values.

Which is why drafting has been so so so important. Every championship team has one or more all-star plus type draft picks of their own on their roster. It's been this way forever, even if there are other similar players on the roster that were acquired via free agency or trade. You've had to get that player on rookie deals, and then keep them via bird rights and the like.

This offseason might change that. So that you can start allocating money the way you suggest.

Alternatively, if Ryan Anderson goes out and commands $20 million... well that starts making it difficult again. Cause even in a new salary cap era, I don't see how you give Ryan Anderson that kind of money. Subpar rebounder, subpar defender, will be 29, etc. For a PF he is a really really good stretch shooter and 3 point shooter. That's clearly a skill that would help this team immensely. But can you afford to give him $20 million.

Even in a best case scenario, where you land a Kevin Durant, and also add Ryan Anderson, you've lost Dwight... are you good enough defensively still?

That's why Horford is probably the best bet.

As far as the modern NBA goes, I'd rather somehow land Blake Griffin and then go after a role player type, then Kevin Durant and role player type. Because the team already has Ariza - clearly no Durant, but seems like the "right" glue guy SF and defender. But I'll certainly take either approach!

I don't think it's reasonable to say he's the PF. he might get good run there, but he's always got the majority of his minutes, by far, at the SF position. the split may move more towards PF in the upcoming years, but he'll still principally be a SF.

2. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

I'm sure if JB were still the coach next season he'd be playing Brewer over Durant LOL :grin:.

3. Fantasma Negro

Since it looks like we may not make the playoffs:

Brice Johnson, UNC
    Domantas Sabonis, Gonzaga
    Henry Ellenson, Marquette
    Egidijus Mockevicius, Evansville (rebounding machine)
    Joseph Uchebo, Charlotte (Clint Capela after he hits the buffet)
    Shevon Thompson, George Mason

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Man, don't even remind me.

If we have Brewer and JB next season it would be depressing!!

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yeah, but our PF savior was supposed to be Eddie Griffin. RIP. He could have been pretty good.

Maybe we're still searching for the what Eddie Griffin could have been. His shooting percentage was never good and his shot was the flattest I've ever seen, but that could have improved eventually. Kinda crazy to think he was shooting nearly 4 three-pointers a game as a 19 year old in '01-'02 (5.2 per 36).

Plus he was a great shot blocker and IIRC a pretty good athlete too.

6. Nimo

Nimo Member

An example of what I'm talking about is a rotation of Anderson and Thad Young. They both don't need to be all-stars; just do 1 or more things at a high level. You can even replace Anderson with Teletovic and then get Horford.

You're right. It's easier to get that player through the draft but they've been trying that - Harrell, DMo, Jones, White, Morris, etc. - and it isn't really working.

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

That seems like a horrible option, though. Ryan Anderson and Thad Young? That's only a good combo when compared to the crap the team has now.

8. Bo6

Bo6 Member

I bet Harrell would be starting if Mchale was still here.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Nah, JBB is no different from McHale, if you remember, McHale loves him some veterans and hates playing rookies. JBB is McHale's student so it's not a shocker that he does the same dumb BS.

10. dream2franchise

T-Mac was supposed to turn him into an All-star :mad::rolleyes: