1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Powell emails to Clinton regarding email released

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think she really thought her emails were classified - she isn't a reckless person - it's not her M.O. She tends to do things by the book - in her mind. Based on conversations with her former staff - she was not technology sophisticated at all and had a disdain for the restrictions. In that lens, yes, she probably sent emails thinking it was no big deal and that the rules were simply overzealous control.

In reality, I think it would be nearly impossible to conduct one's job if you had to weigh what you and you could not communicate for every email when you get 100's of emails a day.

I would not be able to do my job effectively if I had someone looking over my shoulder constantly and telling me what I can talk about and what I can't talk about to 150 different clients when I have hundreds if not thousands of communications a day. SOS is a tremendously difficult job - and a hectic one. It's definitely more working hours than being president.

I do not judge either Powell or Clinton for the way they handled their emails. It was poor judgement but I don't think either meant to do any harm and were only trying to do their jobs effectively and in a realm they felt safe and comfortable.

The classification system needs to be simplified and less overzealous in my opinion. News articles on drones and other public information should not be considered classified. It's silly to hamstrung key officials with such burdens

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It should be kind of insulting to women that in an attempt to deflect blame for what Clinton did they keep going to the "feeble minded woman" card. She did it herself when she was asked about having the servers wiped by saying "Wiped? Like with a towel?" suggesting that she only knew about domestic cleaning, she didn't know anything about the fancy computer world. They are doing it again now by saying that a man told her to do it and she was too feeble minded to think for herself so she just followed the same procedure (which isn't even true) that the man told her to do.

SMH, it's just sad the lengths people will go to in order to deflect blame away from a candidate they desperately want to support.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

1. You're going to the "feeble minded woman" card by suggesting that she simply didn't know any better when literally anyone else in that position would have known better.

2. I highly doubt you've worked with the "classification system" in order to have an intelligent opinion on it. Despite your talking points, this isn't a case of "overzealous classification", some of those emails were incredibly sensitive.

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

The only people calling her a feeble minded woman are folks like yourself.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Not true at all, I'm suggesting that she was a competent individual that knew what she was doing, you are suggesting that she simply didn't know any better and that she was told by some man how to do things and she just was following along.

I know that I've got you in a box here because you don't want to admit what you are doing, but you can't treat her like an intelligent person without having to admit that she did wrong and it was her fault.

1 person likes this.
  6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

^^^ hmmm, interesting idea.

I read Powell's comments as coming from a curmudgeon old fart General who had no interest or understanding of computer gadgets, too. His comments about the remote control was pretty clueless.

I can hear Jack Nicholson on the witness stand, "You want the Truth. Well, I didn't save the Truth on no fancy ass computer."

"Feeble minded woman" asking technology advice of a "curmudgeon old fart" does have some fun visuals to imagine. I'll give you that.

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I am not suggesting that at all, that's your mental gymnastics to distort what I am saying with a crappy straw man. I am saying anyone who is part of her generation isn't going to be that savvy when it comes to IT decisions. It's not her strong suit as she didn't come from a corporate sector either.

What you do though is make stuff up - like right now. I think she is phenomenally intelligent and hard working. I do think what she did was wrong and her fault, but that doesn't mean it disqualifies her for the job.

Still, you have made many claims about her that you refuse to back up with one shred of evidence. I am still waiting for you to show an instance of her corruption.

8. Granville

Granville Member

In addition to what I wrote, the FBI said she was extremely careless. They never said she didn't do anything wrong, they said that they couldn't find intent. She used Bleachbit to wipe out e-mails that likely could have proved intent. It's already been proven that she didn't turn over everything as she previously stated.

9. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

You haven't the slightest clue about security protocol to even suggest "it needs to be simplified".

For example, how is a news article even considered classified? Since when do journalist create classified information when reporting??

Public information is the opposite of classified information. What are you even talking about?

Compromised classified information that should reach the public eye does not automatically make it declassified. Its still classified.

Please, quit adding your input on this topic. You're WAY over your head.

10. Granville

Granville Member

Does things by the book but ignores rules because they were simply overzealous control? Huh? That makes no sense at all.

That's bull****. People do it every day.

I do it every day. There are internal business facing discussions embedded in e-mails that can't be sent to customers. For example, the e-mail conversation could start with a discussion on business related economics that are impacted by the contractual performance of a customer. Contracts often contain non-disclosure clauses that prohibit disclosure of the terms of the contract to third parties. You have to read through the entire e-mail chain and make a determination of what is and is not appropriate for the audience that you are sending information to.

It all depends on the mix of clients you are handling and the sensitivity of the information on what you can share or not.

So because it's a hard job, she doesn't need to follow the rules..... ok.....

In her e-mail request for advice from Powell, Clinton stated

"President Obama has struck a blow for Berry addicts like us."

This statement indicates that Clinton knew that the rules changed under Obama. Again this isn't a by the book politician as you laughably stated.

11. Nook

Nook Member

What this all boils down to....

"See, I didn't do anything any worse than Powell did, hell he showed me how to do it and suggested I do the same. It was standard operating procedure." - Clinton

"You have a point, but you still shouldn't have done it. It isn't this large issue that Republicans have made it out to be, but it shows questionable judgment. What about personal responsibility?" - Reasonable Person

"You are a liar!! You are a cheat, a weak woman that supports a rapist husband! You like blacks too much! You are a disgusting pig that feeds at the trough of foreigners and rich liberals! You have had people killed and might be a lesbian" - Idiot Posters/Republican Racists that still don't like "the gays" or "negroes" but know that it isn't socially acceptable to voice their opinion anymore.

"Huh? Well why is it that all of these "scandals" involving the Clinton's end up being much ado about nothing? I don't think that the Clinton's are above being base level politicians; but there is never anything close to a smoking gun, even when one is promised." - Reasonable Person

2 people like this.
  12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The problem is that even when they end up being serious, people pretend like they aren't. If Hillary was anyone else, she'd have ended up in jail over mishandling classified information like that.

People seem to think that just because a person has the political power to get away with breaking the law that somehow means they didn't break the law. Much like Trump said about his fanatics, Hillary could shoot someone in the middle of the street in NYC on camera and it still wouldn't stop her people from voting for her.....hell they'd say that people were "making much ado about nothing" if they even brought it up.

13. cml750

cml750 Member

I'm sorry but if Powell broke the law, he should be in jail just as Hillary should. The fact that either of them did this is utter BS and they both ought to have to answer for it. The fact that Powell did it does not give Clinton a free pass. Breaking the law is breaking the law.

14. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This post pretty much nails it squarely on the head.

15. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

What? She never set up her government email. How was she planning to send classified information?

16. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

so you're not sure IF Powell broke the law?

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

What is for sure is that he broke policy, without knowing what he sent in those emails, there's no way of knowing if it was actually illegal or just a blacklist worthy firing offense. If he did what Hillary did, then yeah, it's illegal.

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Spilling classified information isn't going to get you in jail. There have been 100's of cases of gov't personal revealing classified information or improperly handling it at nearly all levels.

They are rarely prosecuted. They look for intent as well. And that is why the FBI didn't go after Clinton. because they could find no intent.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's flatly incorrect, there are plenty of people in jail right now for mishandling classified information and some of them for much more minor violations than Hillary was clearly guilty of. It was a case of political power causing someone to be above the law.

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Simply not true, in those cases they were deemed not to just have mishandled it but also to have done it intentionally with the purpose of doing damage to this country in some shape or form. The military handles things differently, I am talking about civilians.