1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Potential Pre-Draft Moves 6/13

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JD88, Jun 13, 2012.

1. JD88

JD88 Member

Does this mean there is a chance for us to move up to #10? I say even if we have to take on a contract, with this years draft, 10, 14, 16 is a nice set to build a team out of if drafted right.

OR, we trade 10 and 16 to move up to 5 or 6.

What say you

While the lottery has been set, some teams may not be.

The Cleveland Cavaliers, owners of picks four, 24, 33 and 34 in the draft, have reportedly been shopping around, trying to either move up in the draft or acquire an additional lottery pick.

As reported by Alex Kennedy of HoopsWorld, the Blazers and Cavs have indeed talked about swapping the Blazers' No. 6 and 11 picks for the Cavs No. 4 and 24.

The Blazers are reportedly very, very interested in Florida shooting guard Bradley Beal, who is not likely to fall all the way to No. 6. Trading picks with the Cavaliers would almost definitely land them Beal, or at the very least Michael Kidd-Gilchrist or Damian Lillard.

Hornets 10th pick available?

A third possibility for the Cavs, although there's been no rumor of them pursuing it thus far, is to try to trade for New Orleans' 10th-overall pick, which they are considering shopping if a team will take on the contract of either Trevor Ariza or Emeka Okafor.

Ariza is owed $7.2 million for next season with a player option for $7.7 million the year after, which he'll likely pick up.

Okafor is owed $28 million the next two seasons and is coming off a knee injury that sidelined him for much of last season.

Of the two, Ariza is the much more attractive trade target. He's only 26, plays small forward (where the Cavs definitely need help) and has put up decent stats when given a starting opportunity.

Cleveland will have over $20 million in cap space this summer, so taking on the contract of Ariza or even Okafor wouldn't be that big of a deal, since it would only be for two seasons.

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

If your asking whether making this thread gives the Rockets a chance to move up to #10 then the answer is no.

There have been quite a few threads made about the Rockets moving up in the draft. We all know the targets.

Best to worst-

Bobcats #2
    Wizards #3
    Sacramento #5
    Portland #6 or #11
    Raptors #8
    New Orleans #10

Literally all of those are potentially going to be shopped. One, maybe two of those picks will get moved. Do the Rockets have the assets to aquire one? That is yet to be seen. I would say they have the assets to aquire the bottom half if the trading team likes their package.

3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

How far we move up might depend on which of those teams (if any?) want Lowry (and are not deluded in thinking they can take Dragic).

4. cdastros

cdastros Member

Rockets trade 14th pick to Boston for 21st and 22nd pick. Boston will use pick 14 to draft Austin Rivers.

5. dobro1229

Then Portland #6, #11, New Orleans #10, and the most likely candidate Toronto at #8 which seems to make the most sense in a Lowry deal.

The Rockets have more to offer than just Lowry of course which is bulk supply of quality pieces. This is why I think Washington is a dark horse to keep in mind.

Some of these tanking/rebuilding teams that have been doing so for years struck out once again on the #1 pick, but need to worry about keeping their young studs in the next few years. Enter the Rockets who can give you 3 to 4 quality pieces around your young stud and instantly a team like the Wizards is in the playoffs in the East, and they are better suited keeping their #1 draft pick stud in town long term.

Plus you have the owner/GM dilemma. You can only suck for so long before the GM's job, and the ownership of the team comes into play. At some point you need to put together a season where you might come close to breaking even financially. Enter the Rockets. Its only a matter of time before the Rockets will be able to get a top 5 pick from one of these teams if the guy they want is there at that spot.

6. dobro1229

Chad Ford commented the other day that he is hearing that Ainge is hoping Rivers is off the board by 19 or 20 to avoid a potential akward scenario where the relationship would come into play on their decision to take him or not. Doesn't sound like they are in any way looking wanting to aquire Austin Rivers, not because he's a bad player, but because of the situation it could cause being coached by your father, and how that could play out negatively for him and his family life.

7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Didn't know where to post this, and didn't want to start a new thread, but this makes me very nervous:

The Kings may consider trading their No. 5 pick if UConn C Andre Drummond isn't available, as they're eager to add another big man.
    This is firmly in the 'rumor' stage, but if the Cavaliers snag Drummond at No. 4, the Kings may be prompted to package the No. 5 pick with a perimeter player (e.g. Tyreke Evans or Marcus Thornton). Other teams reportedly willing to trade first round picks for a veteran include the Warriors (No. 7), the 76ers (No. 15) the Rockets (their second first-round pick, No. 16). Source: Fox Sports Ohio Jun 12 - 5:36 PM

I really wish we would double down on this deep draft and rebuild, not trade away our picks for vet. role players in order to tread water for another year.

8. cdastros

cdastros Member

I keep hearing that Boston wants to trade up. Even if Boston doesn't want Austin Rivers, I could see the rockets using either 14 or 16 to trade down and get Bostons two picks.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

all draft promises.... this getting old

10. JD88

JD88 Member

Why would you want Boston's two draft picks?

So then we have 3 mid-late first round picks?

Only reason I see doing that is trading all three of those for a top 6 pick.

11. dobro1229

Sure they do, but that probably has nothing to do with Rivers. If they can trade up into the lottery then there isn't the pressure there to need to take him.

So yes, I do think the 16th for 21st & 22nd would make some sense if the Rockets needed depth of mid level talent. With the depth they already have on their roster they cannot take on that many more players unless there is a trade that happens prior to deplete roster depth.

12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I suppose you could draft a Teague and sell the second pick to Brooklyn in exchange for giving us our own pick back; but this draft has talent into the second round, so I don't know if it's a great idea. POSSIBLE.

Or trade the 22 for cash and a future first rounder.

13. Garner

Garner Member

What has been promised?

14. jvu

jvu Member

I could see either 14 or 16 to Boston 21 and 22.

Rivers get his son and we get marquise Teague. W/ fab melo, Royce, or etc.

15. cod

cod Member

Ainge doesn't even want to draft Rivers with the 21st or 22nd picks.

16. AFS

AFS Member

I wonder why Cavs would want to do that? A backcourt of Irving and Beal is pretty enticing...

17. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

No way we're trading down for both Boston picks. We need to be going for quality over quantity right now.

1 person likes this.
  18. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I would not believe that Doc would either. Head coaches get enough grief without nepotism coming into play.

19. amaru

amaru Member

fixed

20. HiGHurNAMEis

HiGHurNAMEis Member

sensible. +1