1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Potential Point Guard Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BleedRocketsRed, Jul 5, 2015.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Rubio will end up like Lin on the Rockets, if he has to come off the bench. He will need the ball all the time as a starter, rendering Harden semi- ineffective. You have not taken into consideration his poor finishing as well, which reduces his high FT percentage as well.

He has strengths no doubt, but he is not a good fit for Houston IMO.

2. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

I read somewhere Morey prior to the draft tried to sign and trade for Rubio using a bunch of draft picks including some prospects I think.. He probably is still on the radar.

3. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

We can resign Terry for whatever since we have his rights.

4. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Yes, Rubio is a poor shooter and scorer, but with our team that is less important from the PG position.

I disagree he'll make Harden "semi-ineffective"... instead, I'd submit he'll make Harden more effective by greatly reducing the ball-handling and play-making duties that Harden carries now. Think about Rubio creating and giving Harden wide-open looks. I believe Harden's efficiency goes up playing with a Rubio.

I could be wrong, but I think DM believes Rubio makes us better.

5. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

With DMo , Jones & Harrell I consider the Rockets a little thin at the 4. An injury to either DMo or Jones and you are in deep trouble .... unless Harrell can contribute. By most accounts he'll spend a lot of time with RGV.

The current 4-5 picture:

Dwight / Capela / Dorsey
    DMo / Jones / Harrell

The C spot is pretty solid , assuming Dwight & Capela are healthy. I have my doubts of Dorsey making the opening day roster as it wouldn't be all that difficult to cut him and sign a vet min FA who can give 6 fouls and .... make a FT once in a while.

The PF Spot is fine as is but with both DMo & Jones hitting RFA next offseason and the hole at PG , most believe Jones will be moved. You cant trade Jones without adding another capable player to the mix , one that can give you 25 minutes a night and start on occasion. Several FA's available that fit the description , just depends on what they will cost.

6. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Of the 3 we have now-ish (Dmo/jones/smith), you can trade or let one walk and still be ok. Sign scola for the vet min and we're fine. Lose two and then we're thin. I wouldn't want scola as my 2nd string backup.

7. malakas

malakas Member

harell should be able to contribute this year.

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Harden does need someone to reduce the ball handling and playmaking duties, but he does need to create shots for himself and to a certain extent for others. He cannot just be a catch and shoot player.

Spacing is vital and finishing at the rim is very important on our team. More often than not, our players ended up laying bricks when we needed shooting.

9. RESINator

RESINator Member

With Morey anything is possible. I dare say add Jerry Lin to the list

10. OpenLayup-Why3?

If Harden goes down for significant amount of games, we might even not be a playoffs team. We badly need someone who can run the offense in that case. I say give away Jones + whichever non rotational guy + even future first round picks to land a guy who has averaged at least 5 assists per game. I am really not a fan of Lawson, but even him, especially when he's being openly traded. Collison, Joseph, Mills, whoever, just get it done now, Morey.

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Collison is clearly a good idea. But I really like the OJ Mayo suggestion. His 6'5 height and defense / versatility make him an interesting choice. Keep thinking about GSW's wave of versatile players and how to match up.

12. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Mayo is not a true point guard. However, he would give us tremendous firepower from the PG position. Also, his defense has improved over the years, and I think it could get even better simply because he would be paired with Harden.

13. thumbs

For those who are considering Ricky Rubio, why not go for a cheaper, better shooting version, Tyler Ennis, currently with the Milwaukee Bucks. Also, he turns 21 in August.

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/tyler-ennis

14. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

Unproven. Also if I remember correctly, Malakas, the avid Bucks watcher, said Ellis isn't as good as we think and is still unproven.

15. thumbs

I don't watch the Bucks or the Suns (the team that drafted Ennis) unless they are playing the Rockets, so I can't testify on his play. I'm just posting other possibilities -- based on basketball scouting reports -- not mentioned so far.

16. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

17. malakas

malakas Member

he's not good. besides he had shoulder injury and won't be in summer league or work in his game during the summer. I don't have high hopes for him , if he can turn out as a back up cheap pg I will be satisfied.
    You don't trade for Ennis if you are the Rockets and want to be good.

18. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

No mention of Cory Joseph. Did he sign, or why no interest?

19. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

Also, has Rubio's extension kicked in or could the Rockets trade for him using his rookie contract salary?

20. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member