1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Potential Point Guard Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BleedRocketsRed, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I'm down with that....it'd take sac completely out of the market for smith too at the same time.

2. PolarBear

PolarBear Contributing Member

On the Josh Smith thread, another poster suggested a KPap for Collison trade. This would enable Sacramento to release KPap's non-guaranteed contract, and then have enough cap space to sign Josh Smith.

Either way, we would end up trading a surplus PF for a much needed PG.

3. Rox>Mavs

Haha yeah that was me. Either way we get a much needed pg by giving up jones or smith. I'd rather trade jones but if smith really wants a lot of money and to go to sac to start I'd be ok with that too.

4. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Collison. Lawson could also be good but I would only be down if we were to use him off the bench as a super sub to ignite the second team scoring. Beverley fits too well next to James.

5. PolarBear

PolarBear Contributing Member

Would you rather do that deal, or KPap for Chalmers straight up, (assuming the Heat would bite to reduce their luxury tax payments), and roll the dice that you could keep both TJones & Smith for another year?

6. malakas

malakas Member

collison >>> chalmers

But without the depth charts we can't find the roster imbalances to find the likely trade targets.
    I knew two who were pg heavy and require trades MIL and BOS. Now it seems Sac as well.
    Normally a trade of Kpap for Collison would be ridiculously in favour of the Rockets and no team would agree. But because they are the Kings I don't know.

7. BoneYardDog

BoneYardDog Contributing Member

Grant is nothing special, so glad we did not draft him.

8. malakas

malakas Member

Don't forget that Josh Smith may have other suitors as well. Phoenix and Indiana. If Sac is not a frontrunner to sign him they won't be interested in clearing even more cap space to have them turned down. Normally at least.
    If Indiana can't land David Lee Josh will be a good option for them.

9. eman

eman Contributing Member

Third time's the charm: AB3!!!

10. Rox>Mavs

I think the only way a deal like that (KPap for Collison) works is if Smith would really want a larger contract than we can give + he really wants to play in Sactown and only them.....which I can't see why, but who knows. Then it's just an issue of clear capspace. though I think if SAC really wanted to clear space and move collison to do it they could get something more from another team with space or a non guaranteed for something more than just a salary dump. But as you said its SAC so you never know.

11. malakas

malakas Member

well i expect that he will want a larger contract than a meager 2.5 per anyway. :p but lets' see what happens with david lee. He should be traded soon and whoever lands him will be out of the josh smith "sweeptakes"

Normally (not accounting for Sacramento being idiots) this would be a good scenario :
    Trade Jones for Collison
    Trade Kpap for Bayless

12. Rox>Mavs

In that scenario what do you envision will happen with Smith? SAC wouldn't be in the market for smith any longer. He might want more than the 2.5 we can offer but there's not much more money left out there either. I wouldn't want to lose both smith and jones. That'd leave us really thin at the 4.

13. malakas

malakas Member

it will depend on what phoenix does. they are desperate on one hand and they have no bench but only capspace and they will trade markieff morris very soon. but on the other hand they have decided to stay away from malcontents or players who can potentially harm chemistry. So maybe they don't go after him.
    That will leave orlando who won't be interested in him, and portland. I don't know what portland plans to do.
    But there's a good chance that if david lee goes to indiana josh smith will stay in houston. In my opinion of course.

14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I think OJ Mayo is an underrated option. He has been up and down but always a decent 3pt shooter and capable of creating. He could be an excellent backup PG/SG for us if we can sell him on commitment to winning. I'm sure the Bucks would love to be able to get Papa for Mayo

15. craguin

craguin Member

Miami Heat: Goran Dragic, Mario Chalmers, Shabazz Napier, Tyler Johnson, Travis Trice; Johnson and Trice are on the Summer League roster with Napier. Johnson looks good in SL so far.

16. Rox>Mavs

Yeah I'm not very high on chalmers.....that's just my opinion though.

17. malakas

malakas Member

i am a bucks fan so I can answer this. Oj needs to have a role. If he has a clear role and this being his contract year he will perform. He is a shooter and a playmaker for a sg. he can't play full pg though. you DON'T want this but he could play next to harden as a sg.

however the preferance would be to trade bayless and i doubt papa will be enough for mayo but I don't know. i really like papa because I follow him his whole carreer and know that he can be more than what he showed in houston. However I don't think others share this opinion.:eek: and clearing capspace at this point won't be an incentive because most good fa are off the market.

18. malakas

malakas Member

i don't think they will sell chalmers to keep johnson. I think they wil try to package both chalmers and andersen for the hayward contract. Maybe this goes down.
    I think if it's possible to take on Collison for Jones this should be the priority than Chalmers.
    Jones WILL cost next year at least 10 per. We can't match both him and dmo for a total of at least 25 millions at the pf position while still going after durant etc.
    So why not take a good cheap backup pg as collison who is excellent for the role we need him to play.

19. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I think Rubio is probably Morey's target. Minny added another PG via a draft trade--Tyus Jones. Between Lavine and Jones, they may believe that they could grow their young core together. If they picked up a vet, like Terry in the trade, then they have another vet (like KG) to help shape the youngin's.

As everyone knows, Rubio is not a great shooter and is injury prone. However, he could be the spark/play-maker we need when Harden rests. His ability to get the ball to our bigs and open shooters would make us much more efficient. He's a crafty defender (mostly passing lanes), but his length at PG would make things crazy, especially when we have Corey at SG and Ariza at SF with him.

DM has coveted RR for sometime and he may finally be in a position to get him.

20. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Patty Mills is an absolute assassin. ...but the spurs are not helping us.