1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Potential Point Guard Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BleedRocketsRed, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Nimo

Nimo Member

There is also...

[​IMG]

2. Matthieu

Matthieu Member

Ridnour just got waived, would be a nice pickup for the minimum

3. GotGame15

GotGame15 Member

Agreed

4. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

This is how I see it. Feels like a typical low-risk Morey maneuver that preserves flexibility.

I wonder what OKC's timeframes for dumping salary is? Is there a reason they have to do this before the end of the season when luxury tax is calculated?

5. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Lawson would be an all starin the east maybe

6. seeingred

seeingred Member

that's what PBev is there for. We can't afford a PG who can hit the 3, make plays for others, and play great defense.

7. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Pat is actually a good 3pt shooter. Career .361 averaging almost 6 attempts a game last season. Prototypical 3&D point guard

8. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Ridnour would be an AMAZING pickup

9. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

The only thing I find amazing about Luke Ridour is that he has had a longer career than Steve Francis.

10. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

at this point, the best players we could sign with the MLE are josh smith and KJ mcdaniels.

because of that, i think a PG comes from trade. here's how i see the PG trade market:

lawson - doc said rockets aren't interested... idk why. he would move the needle for us.
    jennings - brings a lot of what we need.. doesn't seem like a morey type player.
    rubio - doesn't bring anything we need. can't shoot, can't score, cant defend.
    thomas - would love IT3 but ainge is trying to stay competitive. prob wont trade him.
    hill - bird is trying to win this year, no reason to trade him for anything we can offer.
    jack - with dwill's departure they can't afford to part with jack for what we can offer.
    collison - might be worried to move him before the deadline, depending on how rondo works out.
    augustine - they want to move him, but prob not if it helps us be better than them.

chalmers
    wroten

slim pickings. both have flaws but would add skills we need. both could probably be had for NG contracts of papa/prigs and a future second rounder.

11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Players that seem like they should be available right now to me are

(1 of Thomas, Bradley, Smart), (Chalmers or Napier), Jennings, (Bayless or Ennis), Lawson, Augustin.

Only players that look attractive on that list are the Celtics guards, Lawson and Jennings. Hopefully we can get in on the Williams sweep stakes, he'd be nice for MLE.

12. micah1j

micah1j Member

I don't think Detroit will move Jennings until he has returned to the court and improved his trade value. Seems more likely after the December trade window opens or before the deadline.

13. basketballholic

These are the PGs I would target in trade and not necessarily in this order:

1. Dennis Schroder - rookie contract, star potential, good defensively, good running pick-and-roll, improving shooter

2. Marcus Smart - rookie contract, star potential, good defensively, good running pick-and-roll, improving shooter

3. Tyler Ennis - rookie contract, good defensive potential, good running pick-and-roll, good shooter

4. Spencer Dinwiddie - rookie contract, great size, super high basketball iq, good running pick-and-roll, good shooter, decent defensive potential

Notice these are all young PGs on rookie contracts. And they are guys with considerable upside that I am confident can play alongside Harden and our starters very effectively. I am particularly enamored of Smart, Schroder, and Dinwiddie but I also feel Ennis has tremendous potential to be a great fit.

If we could trade for one of these guys and they were good, it opens up a lot of salary cap flexibility (screech) for us next summer. By the way if you haven't seen Dinwiddie play and you don't know anything about him, you should.
    He's a winner.

EDIT: Add C.J. McCollum to my list. I knew I had forgotten one. Thanks to the poster who prompted my memory.

#253 basketballholic, Jul 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  14. dmoneybangbang

Definitely won't be willingly to trade the necessary players for player 1 and 2.

15. finsraider

finsraider Member

Perhaps Jordan Clarkson? The Lakers only signed him to a 2 year deal, which means they will not have full bird rights on him when he becomes a free agent. Plus, they just drafted Russell.

They also want to unload Nick Young. Maybe something like Papa and our 2016 1st for Jordan and Young.

16. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

Jennings would be great. Statistically, he's nearly identical to Goran Dragic. And he'd probably thrive next to best friend James Harden.

17. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Great post. And couldn't agree more about the MLE.

Collision and Jennings are probably our two most realistic options. Sac is willing to deal, and Detroit just made a huge financial commitment to a guy who plays the same position; they'd deal too.

No idea why the Lawson option is off the table, but I have a feeling it's a character issue.

18. Dedicatedrocket

Yeah but i dont trust doc rocket haha hes prolly 85% sure anyway

19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

CJ McCollum

20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

seems like ive always read that rubio has pretty good defense.