1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Potential Offseason Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaneB, Apr 16, 2009.

1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

definitely wayy too early with this and most of those guys aren't available or won't really help us..... kmart is injury prone and they want to build around him, he's not on the market....bibby would be a one or two year rental and it would mean trading away brooks or lowry, i'm not quite ready to give up on a 2nd yr player who's shown flashes like Brooks to get a 2 years out of bibby, especially past his prime.

Forget about the pg position, we need length. We need someone to back up Yao. go after a chris andersen, or another long pf/c. Resign wafer. Ship out barry, get a pick. We dont necessarily need another superstar, that'll come with tmac or his replacement, we can do well acquiring role guys who are solid offensively, like a Jason Kapono.

The one star i'd seriously think about is Shawn Marion. I know he's seen as this run and gun style of player who woudnt fit here, but he may be perfect actually. Think about it, he doesnt need any plays ran for him, he's great at getting 15 pts or so on just putbacks and within an offense, he wont stop ball movement or take many attempts from Yao. He's a decent 3pt shooter which never hurts, can run, a high flyer, which we lack, and although he's not a big man, he gets his share of blocks and is a solid rebounder, also gets steals. We'd get a lot of production from him without having to shy away from Yao.

but really this thread should wait until we know more about tmac.

2. JLEW1818

JLEW1818 Member

Greg Ostertag

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

No harm in posting this thread right now,even though the playoffs are about to start. I will say this again,it's going to be very hard to obtain anyone of note until McGrady's contract expires. I'm quite certain Ron will re-sign with the Rockets if he has a good playoff series.

4. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Yes they are.

And this is way too early.

Gilbert Arenas makes way too much.

5. saleem

Shawn Marion can get points off put backs and on the fast break but he was at his best when Nash got the ball down to him.Calderon is nice but he is no Nash and right now the best that we have is Lowry. Getting a better PG or a healthy McGrady(highly unlikely IMO) is a bigger need. We also need a tall athletic big who can play at the 5/4.

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

wally could be a good and cheap option, he fits the Kapono mold...wouldn't mind going after Dyess if he comes cheap..Ghill, Barnes... Trade Barry and cooks expiring contracts for something..

Between Ron, Reed, butler and head coming off the books, that's 14.5 mil, deke and white is another mil, i think ...

brooks/lowry
    hill/wafer (tmac)
    marion/shane
    scola/landry/chuck
    Yao/Dyess/dorsey

we'd just need to get rid of dorsey, pick up another true center..

7. JLEW1818

JLEW1818 Member

I honestly think the next "great" rocket will be drafted by Houston..... when this will happen? IDK

We can trade and dump players all we want. We just need to get a high draft pick somehow, and maybe he turns out to be a James or Wade..

We might suck for a few years

Or we can be an average team for the next 20 years.

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Calderon and Kapono.

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

We dont need marion at his best, we just need him at 13-14 ppg game without forcing Yao out, points is the only thing Nash facilitated, Marion can pile up the other stats on any team, including houston. The Pg talk is overrated, Brooks is only in his second year and lowry is a capable starting point. the problem i have with getting a kidd or nash is that they'd be a big part of the rotation, but only for a year or two, then they'd leave/retire/be too old and that would leave a HUGE gap to fill. Even if we kept lowry and Brooks around they wouldnt get much PT during that time and would still need time to grow, putting us in a tough situation...

10. apollo33

apollo33 Member

raptors running and gunning??? if you actually watch kapono games, you start to realize how useless he is. i know cuz i watch every raptor game. the guy cant shoot under good d, and misses wide open shots. he can only shoot with half decent defence

11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

That's a terrible way of looking at it. We have a very nice core with Yao, scola, landry, wafer, and lowry/brooks. We have money to play with, we can get guys to come here, why dump it all for a shot at a pick that may not pan out until Yao is out of his prime? We dont HAVE to be an average team for years, the next two years will present a lot of opportunities and scenarios for this team to become great in the immediate future...

12. saleem

Grant Hill would be nice,he could help with ball handling and scoring far better than Barry for sure if he agreed to sign for a relatively cheap contract.
    I like the idea of getting Dyess too as well as a true back up center(Birdman would be nice,Elson would be more realistic and a fairly good fit).
    Marion could fit in with a healthy McGrady and Grant because of their passing skills but he is basically a rich man's Battier with a superior post up game which could be all right, but I don't see him coming here.

#52 saleem, Apr 17, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  13. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Depending upon what the actual strategy for moving/keeping McGrady is, I would consider a one-on-one swap for Jermaine O'Neal, for instance. This is just an idea I am throwing out there but they both have essentially the same contracts so there's little to be gained/lost in that regard.

O'Neal is injury prone and not the player he used to be but he's still an effective low post player that can make an impact on both ends of the floor. If he's cool with coming off the bench he could be a solid insurance/bench option that could bolster our frontcourt depth in the event Deke retires after this season. JO is still a solid post defender and weakside shot blocker that could get minutes at the 4/5.

Do I trust his health, work ethic and balky knees enough to actually pull the trigger on a deal like this? I'm not sure quite yet. Admittedly, probably not. All i'm saying is given that we're facing about a 50/50 probability of getting absolutely no production from McGrady at all next year, the possibility of pulling a "garbage in, garbage out" type deal like this doesn't sound so unappealing after all.

14. WildArkieBoy

WildArkieBoy Member

Steve Francis

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Hill is only getting 1 mil this year, which is crazy cheap, i wouldnt expect him to ask for more than that, i hope we go after him because he still has alot of game in him. I think dyess only makes 1 million also..

16. saleem

I agree with you that Lowry or Brooks will regress if Kidd or Nash were to join the Rockets.Don't see either of them coming to Houston anyway. Brooks is in his 2nd year but he is an undersized 2 guard with limited passing skills. Lowry is better than him but I don't see him as a starter either. This wouldn't be a big issue in my opinion if we had a healthy and motivated McGrady but that's unlikely. Our weakness at the point is one of reasons that FA's will prefer to join other teams.

17. Asian Sensation

18. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Things I want in a player:
    1.) effecient
    2.) two way players, above average on the offensive and defensive end
    3.) something we dont have (fie finisher, backup big, pg, etc.)
    4.) no bad contracts

19. sephiroth.hk

sephiroth.hk Member

the salary cap will decrease next season.
    i dont think rockets can sign any star.
    it artest do not have good performace in playoff,
    rockets maybe also not re-sign artest too.
    they will try to re-sign wafer in reasonable salary.

the tmac's contract will keep for 2010 free agents.

in face, we have many young player need playing
    time to develop next season.
    landry, brooks, lowry and white!!! XD

20. gabion

gabion Member

i agree caron butler