1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Potential 1B/3B

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by jmd726, Jan 2, 2016.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

And FWIW, I think Tyler White is gonna outperform him in the spring, and he will be our opening day starter. But on the chance Singleton plays well, I think he will get the benefit of the doubt, at least to start opening day. But he isn't guaranteed anything.

2. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Reed played 53 games at AA last season. Only 32 of them at 1B. I hope your right that a couple weeks in AAA, and he will be ready. But I am not so confident we can be sure of that.

3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Tyler White has a 50+ game head start on Reed in terms of experience at the AA/AAA levels.

I suppose between him and Reed, come mid/late April, one of them could be ready if needed.

4. edwardc

edwardc Member

I would like to see Singleton get a real chance at 1B not just get 50-100 abs to truly get a good look at what he can do.

5. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Seeing White played some 3B, might see both White and Reed in 2016?

6. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Everything is fluid, in that how White and Reed are doing will play some role. But if Singleton's first 100 AB's are horrid, I think his time will be up.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And I would like to see him not be completely overmatched/helpless and eventually aloof in the opportunities he gets.

I'm sure he's working his ass off... but he's gotten a fair chance to take the job and run with it (some may say he's gotten undeserved chances, simply because he signed a guaranteed deal).

But to watch how clueless he is in the majority of his AB's over the last 2 years... you can't just keep putting him out there and hoping he somehow gets it (especially not when you're actively trying to win a division). Its also a problem that he lacks a certain elite/current MLB skill that he could be utilized for (he's not particularly good defensively to be a late inning replacement, doesn't have speed to be a pinch-runner, and is a poor contact hitter to be a viable PH option). Thus, its tough to give him more opportunities to "get it" (which does happen to some players, albeit they usually show signs of progress prior to flipping the switch).

#68 Nick, Feb 5, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Absolutely the contract played a huge role in his initial promotion and multiple opportunities.

He wasn't ready initially (and yet the team was hesitant to demote him), and he didn't show much improvement last year and was eventually benched/demoted (again) for good.

9. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

We don't have that luxury anymore. If he doesn't hit early, he's basically done in Houston.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Astros/Luhnow have already set the precedent for the prospects they're confident in (Correa, McCullers), that they don't need an extended stint at AAA.

11. the shark

the shark Member

I totally agree with this.

Singleton has had opportunities. He either takes advantage of it or he sits.

As much as I would love for him to start producing I just don't have any confidence that he will.

12. awc713

awc713 Member

I think Singleton realizes that 2016 ST is pretty much it for him, as far as his career as an Astro is concerned. He knows HOU is no longer in a situation (i.e., rebuilding) were HOU can afford to risk ABs for the sake of growth. We need production NOW. Like all Stros fans, I hope he comes out firing on all cylinders.

Just speaking devils advocate, Singleton has only had consistent MLB ABs in 1/2 of 1 season (2014). Ob