1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Potential 1B/3B

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by jmd726, Jan 2, 2016.

1. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Gattis have any experience as a catcher?

2. edwardc

edwardc Member

Yes he caught 135 gms for the braves.

3. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

So what im noticitng is play him against Detroit at all costs?

4. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Anything that helps me not think about the fact that Castro is never going to regain his 2013 form is a good thing. If Gattis mans catcher, then Tucker could be available as DH (or someone else, if they have a breakout - AJ Reed maybe).

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Town Hall with A.J. Hinch

The topic I was looking forward to hearing A.J. speak about the most was first base. Calling this the only open competition at Spring Training he continued “One thing that’s changed on our team… there are no freebies. Someone’s got to win this job.” The only specific thing he said about Jon Singleton was “It’s time for him to step up”. He mentioned opportunities for Matt Duffy, A.J. Reed, Tyler White, Marwin Gonzalez, Luis Valbuena to all try on the first base glove. Valbuena may be more favored at third base though with Hinch saying that his defense at the left corner was very underrated.

<hr>
    No mention of Tucker or Gattis, solidifying their long shot chances.

6. jim1961

jim1961 Member

What kind of odds are being assigned to Singleton meeting this mandate?

10%? 20%?

7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Depends on what you consider meeting the mandate. I think Singleton is the de-facto incumbent, so somebody is gonna have to decidedly outplay him. If he even has an adequate spring, I imagine he's the opening day starter. I think AJ Reed can for all intents and purposes win the job, but he won't be the opening day starter for service time reasons. Valbuena is a 3rd baseman, Marwin functions best as a utility man, and the Astros have shown no interest in trying Tucker at 1B. I think that leaves Tyler White as the only actual competition to be the opening day starter, with Duffy as a bit of a darkhorse.

I think the Astros are willing to risk a few games in April on the chance that Singleton becomes a productive MLB hitter for us, or at least turns himself back into a tradeable asset.

8. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I think AJ Reed needs more seasoning at AAA. I don't want to see him rushed and suffer through a Domingo Santana-style strikeout fest of a debut.

I agree realistically this is between Singleton and Tyler White.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He's not going to break camp with the team... but its highly likely that when he makes his debut, he's going to struggle regardless of "seasoning".

The question is, do you want the growing pains/adjustments to start earlier... or mid-season?

10. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Lets say Singleton, once again, is hitting below the Mendoza line come April. Whether there is someone there to out play him or not, that level of play would warrant a change. Either an early AAA/AA promotion, putting Marwin there temporarily or a trade one would think.

11. right1

right1 Member

I would say Tyler White has a 90% chance of out-hitting/playing Jon Singleton.

12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I would be willing to bet quite a bit that if Singleton has a very bad spring, then Tyler White will be the starter opening day. But if White and Duffy are equally terrible ( I feel that's unlikely, but possible), then I think Singleton will start the season as the 1B, at least for the first 2 weeks. AJ Reed is coming up, sooner or later. Singleton can only delay it, the worse he is, the quicker it will happen.

13. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Yeah I would agree. White seems to be developing each year as a better hitter. He's also hungry because he hasn't gotten paid yet, unlike Singleton. White also has a better MiLB track record in terms of average and OPS than Singleton.

14. right1

right1 Member

White lost 30 lbs last offseason and went from a .300/.400 hitter to a whopping .325/440 obp saving his best for AAA Fresno. He then tore the cover off the ball in the Dominican and won league MVP. The Astros have caught lightning in a bottle and would be foolish not to start him at 1B or DH.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Marwin did an admirable job at 1B last season... In the midst of Singleton/Carter flailing helplessly.

He's not a bad backup option in case Singleton/White can't hack it.

16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I'm against any scenario that leaves Valbuena unprotected to face LHP. He's been abysmal against them. Likewise, Marwin hasn't been awesome against RHP.

IMO if you do decide to go with Marwin as a stopgap 1B, that creates 2 low production positions, versus the 2 of them combing for a very effective 3B platoon.

17. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Interesting. If White and Reed both pan out that could be incredible production at 1B/DH for the future, two positions that were fairly underwhelming last year.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Fair enough... Both still better thus far than the even more abysmal Singleton.

Neither Valbuena/Marwin are long-term solutions... Just saying for what is currently available next year, they're the best options (till Bregman/Moran/Reed/White come up and become the new nucleus).

19. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I cant help but think that if Singleton hadn't been signed to his contract, he wouldn't be in the conversation, maybe not even on the team. If the later, another would occupy his 40 man spot. And additionally, it would indicate that his shot in 2016 is not performance driven.

So I have to ask, who would be the the front runner for 1B otherwise? Would we have made other moves? I suppose what I am insinuating or contemplating is whether Singleton last shot has held up other options. Perhaps better options.

20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

AJ Reed is our first baseman. He's the guy we are realistically banking on, but service time issues will demand he stay in AAA for at least a few weeks, so somebody has to man first until then. If Singleton wasn't on the roster, we still wouldn't have gone hard after a 1B because of him.

Nobody is being held back by Singleton. He is merely being given one last shot to see if he can help up before we cut bait. I'm sure the contract is playing into it, but he was a top 30 prospect just 2 years ago. You don't give up on those types easily.