1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Post-Game Analysis: Rockets 116, Mavericks 108

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 18, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I think it's a riot that he's expected to do that every night. How times have changed.

2. LewLLOYD

LewLLOYD Member

rewatching the game, the refs really gave the mav's every possible touch foul to get them back in the game with 2 minutes left. by every possible, i mean, 3 of 'em in 5 possessions or so. one on lowry, one on brooks and one on scola. all were very ticky tacky. granted you want to say that we should be able to avoid giving them the opportunity to call those, but if you rewatch 'em, those aren't calls that are usually called. those are home team calls to get the game close to promote the home team. i only hope we get calls like that to end games.

also, in the last minute, i think the refs really wanted to get it right, knowing that they had given the mavs a close game as a gift. it didn't help that the mavs were complaining, after being given that gift. i think that pissed them off.

3. LewLLOYD

LewLLOYD Member

ariza played well. he moved the ball well too.
    i wouldn't have minded him taking a few more shots even.

4. arif1127

arif1127 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That simply isn't true. The Rockets got themselves in trouble by fouling early in the quarter then in the last 2 mins they made multiple mental mistakes, stupid reach in fouls and losing Tim Thomas on defense. The Rockets brought it upon themselves. The "ticky tack" fouls were still fouls, there is no reason to reach in for a steal after the Mavs get a defensive rebound and you are up 6 with 2 mins to go. No reason what so ever. It was stupidity on the Rockets part.

5. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I watched some but not all of our games this year (work, urgh..), and I am truly shocked how fast this current rockets team. I mean, they get a rebound, and boom the ball is out of there in a split second with the whole team running down court like there is fire in their butts.

It is a very enjoyable type of basketball because it is very dynamic, but I can tell you Tmac and Yao won't be able to play at this pace. No way, no how.

I am very proud of these guys, and even though I have been very critical of RA, I would think that the success of this team is due to the system (how else cal you explain the absence of certain players at some games without any noticeable performance problems).

I keep on repeating this, but an alpha male like Wade would make this team nearly unbeatable.

C'mon Morey, sell your wares to Wade!

6. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

I think he is more concerned about defending that offense right now.. RA was concerned about how Mac will perform on D.. looks like he is concentrating on that..

and yea.. he looks lost on offense.. totally lost.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

That is a fair enough comment, maybe Rick has told him to really focus on D....he has looked pretty good on D...still a little slow in footspeed, but he is not out of position.

I would like to see him jump and challenge some of those layups when he is under the basket, I can think of 2 he just watched.....but maybe his confidence in the knee is not there right now.

I just want him to BUST BUTT for the 7 minutes...since that is all he is going to get might as well go all out.

DD

8. RocketGirl6

RocketGirl6 Member

Not sure if this is the right thread, but has anyone heard an update on Landry?

9. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Tracy looked really well tonight. I mean, he has improved a LOT. He was getting more comfortable on offense, I saw few great plays.

Defensivly he was ok as well.

I liked what I saw. His body looks good. I mean, he looks healthly.

10. lauradelenn

lauradelenn Member

The Mavericks want a do over! Seriously, they want to replay a portion of the game....see here:

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2009/12/19/mavericks-want-a-do-over-with-rockets-file-protest/

Mavericks Want a Do-Over With Rockets, File Protest

* 2Comments
    * Say Something »

12/19/2009 9:05 AM ET By Tom Ziller
    PrintAText Size
    E-mail More

o Tom Ziller
    o Tom Ziller is an NBA Blogger for FanHouse

The Mavericks lost a thriller to Houston last night, and owner Mark Cuban is not happy about it. But unlike most teams, who eventually accept defeat and perhaps rip a referee or two in the media, the Mavericks won't let this one die: ESPN's Marc Stein report the Mavericks will file a protest with the NBA to have a portion of the game replayed.

The call at the crux of this protest is ... an improper video review? Cuban tells Stein that when Rockets guard Aaron Brooks was called for a Flagrant 1 in overtime, the referees reviewed when league rules state that only Flagrant 2s are subject to review. The real issue is that when they reviewed the tape, the referees decided Dallas center Erick Dampier deserved a technical foul for a seemingly intentional elbow tossed Brooks's way. Dampier already had one tech, so he got booted with a minute left in overtime and the Mavericks down five. (The call also allowed the Rockets to choose a non-Dampier Maverick to shoot his free throws -- which might actually have been good for Dallas -- and Brooks did hit the free throw resulting from Damp's tech.)

Here's the play:

Cuban has two other, ahem, "misapplications of the rules," which is Stu Jackson for "bad calls." I sense an ulterior motive, though. Dirk Nowitzki, talisman of Dallas, left in the first quarter with an injury we will refer to as "Carl Landry's teeth in his elbow." Dirk didn't return. Presumably, however, in a replay of the final minute of overtime in, say, March, Nowitzki would be available for re-entry. A 4- or 5-point deficit with a minute, the ball and Dirk Nowitzki? That's a result that could change. Cuban knows what he's doing, though I doubt the league will grant a replay considering the referees -- no matter how they got there -- ended up making the appropriate call on Dampier.

The NBA had its first do-over in decades in the 2008 season, when Shaquille O'Neal (then with Miami) was wrongly disqualified on his fifth foul, which referees believed to be his sixth. The Heat and Hawks got together later in the season to replay 51.9 seconds, despite the fact Shaq had been traded to Phoenix and both teams had several new players. Hilariously, no points were scored in the replayed 51.9 seconds, and the Hawks won, as they did in the original game.

Read More: Mavericks Rockets NBA Referees Aaron+Brooks, Dirk+Nowitzki, Erick+Dampier, Mark+Cuban

11. lauradelenn

lauradelenn Member

Last I heard, he's having to consult an oral surgeon. :(

12. devilsdandruff

i was on the flight during this game.
    where can i download the game?

13. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

According to Kevin Pelton of Basketball Prospectus

"By my system, Houston has played the hardest schedule in the NBA (1.9 ppg harder than average). The Lakers have played the easiest (-1.7)."

14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I would be surprised if the league went that far,but with Stern anything is possible. :rolleyes:

15. mjharleem22

mjharleem22 Member

man, if anybody has vid of how t-mac looked out there can yall post it?

16. zilches

zilches Member

Where's the OKC game thread for this evening?

17. matthappy

matthappy Member

yeah, i think i hold the same kind of point with u,yao and mac will never fit with current system.when next season yao back,everyone will see how struggle our big man.the half court system is totally different from the run and gun.Have u guys see what shaq do along with nash.So the most suitable superstar would be either wade or bosh.these 2 guys play fast game,and will be a great improvement for us all.

18. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

MAVS SUCK!!!!