1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Post-Game Analysis: Lakers 103, Rockets 102

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 4, 2009.

1. ibm

ibm Member

we basically only played 7 players tonight. you don't see adelman do that too often. imo landry could've been used a bit more late in the game. scola and hayes were clearly gassed in the end before they fouled out.

and didn't we have one timeout left at the very end? why did no one call it?

oh well.

2. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

OKC game is at home!

3. soydeedo

soydeedo Member

Yeah, you're right - I just replayed it and sure enough he's just hanging out in the corner. Can't ask for much else from Adelman then, I guess. =/

Ah well, it was a good effort. Time for some more practice...

4. roslolian

roslolian Member

Considering we were without Yao, Tmac and Bud (who would have won us the game IMHO) I thought this was a nice effort. You can't really blame the team for losing 1 pt in OT against the defending champs who are only missing Gasol. However IMHO RA needs to play his bench more, and 8 man lineup won't cut it if you go into OT. Where was Pops and JT? And Cook in the game? Really? Cook?!?!?!

5. Scottay

Scottay Contributing Member

That doesn't even make sense. Probably one of the most inept attempts at assessing reality I have ever come across. :rolleyes:

6. albuster

albuster Member

Ariza tried to be McGrady tonight, just jacking up shots from everywhere and a lot of them ill timed. The problem is that McGrady is far better than him and yet we all know how far McGrady had takent the Rockets.

This season will have many games like this for the Rockets so let us get used to it. The game was spirited though and the team fought and worked hard.

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

Well RA isn't exactly quick on his feet. Good game though. And his system is rolling :)

8. rocketman5803

rocketman5803 Member

AB needs to learn how to get rid of double team,and I do think Adelman was a little bit goofy setting Landry aside until Scola got fouled out.

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

[ESPN] Hollinger commentary during the game

ESPN's John Hollinger was in attendance for the game, and he chatting about it online over its course. Thought people who may have missed the game might want to read his running thoughts:

Code:
    John Hollinger: Impressive Red-to-Gold ratio in the Toyota Center right now.
    Laker fans can dwarf some opposing home crowds like an invading army, but that
    doesn't seem it will be the case tonight.  Wednesday November 4, 2009 8:39 John
    Hollinger 8:40

John Hollinger: As a veteran Kobe vs. Battier watcher, gotta piont out that
    he's getting much deeper post position than we've seen in their past matchups.
    Kobe is 4-of-6, but all six have been turnarounds from about 10-12 feet.
    Usually Shane pushes him to 15-18 and makes that a much more difficult look.
    Wednesday November 4, 2009 8:52 John Hollinger 8:52

John Hollinger: Interesting cross-match here as well. Scola is guarding Artest
    -- I guess the Rockets know better than anybody that Ron has lost a step
    attacking off the dribble. Ariza is guarding Odom. We may see opponents do this
    a lot against LA   this year -- guard Ron with their 4 and Odom with their 3.
    Wednesday November 4, 2009 8:53 John Hollinger 8:54

John Hollinger: I love that they still gave Hakeem huge ovations here whenever
    he shows up for a game. Just introduced him at the timeout.  Wednesday November
    4, 2009 8:54 John Hollinger 8:58

John Hollinger: Doesn't appear to be -- Phil was talking optimistically about
    him practicing tomorrow and possibly playing in Memphis on Friday. They could
    really use him tonight -- Scola's killing them right now.  Wednesday November
    4, 2009 9:01 John Hollinger 9:02

John Hollinger: Nice lift by LA's bench to end quarter after they didn't do
    jack last night. Lakers rally from eight down to tie it 22-22 at end of one.
    Impressions -- Houston's offensive tempo much faster than a year ago, feel like
    Ariza and Artest both were pressing a bit in first quarter, LA's help D much
    more conscious of Brooks and helping Fisher with quickness mismatch.  Wednesday
    November 4, 2009 9:07 John Hollinger 9:07

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Not a bad result considering how cold the Rockets are from the 3 pt line, even on open shots. Could have been a lot worse when they are not making these, but they kept fighting.

11. durvasa

And the rest ...

Code:
    [Comment From Woni F.Woni F.: ] Do you think Kobe can win MVP this year?
    Wednesday November 4, 2009 9:07 Woni F.  9:07

John Hollinger: I think the Lakers would have to have the league's best record
    by several games for Kobe to win MVP, for this simple reason -- MVP has somehow
    morphed into "best story", and the Lakers being good is a non-story -- we all
    expect it. "Surprise" teams always get major extra credit in MVP votes --
    that's how Nash won twice.  Wednesday November 4, 2009 9:08 John Hollinger 9:09

John Hollinger: I think David Andersen might personally walk over to Phil
    Jackson and beg him to take Bynum out of the game. Total physical mismatch.
    Wednesday November 4, 2009 9:16 John Hollinger 9:17

[Comment From mikemike: ] any interaction between the lakers and ariza before
    the game started?  Wednesday November 4, 2009 9:17 mike 9:17

John Hollinger: Usually that stuff happens after the game, Mike, especially
    with LA on a back to back. Wouldn't be surprised to see Trevor head over to the
    visitor's locker room to renew acquaintances, or at least catch up with some
    guys in the hallway.  Wednesday November 4, 2009 9:17 John Hollinger 9:18

[Comment From JazzJonesJazzJones: ] Ariza= a overpaid role player Wednesday
    November 4, 2009 9:19 JazzJones 9:19

John Hollinger: Can't say Ariza's overpaid when he got the midlevel -- doesn't
    need to be an All-Star to justify those bucks.  Wednesday November 4, 2009 9:27
    John Hollinger 9:28

John Hollinger: That said, Ariza is really forcing it right now. Just did the
    ol' Carmelo stare-at-the-floor-then-shoot-a-contested-3 move, completely out of
    character ... 2-for-9 on my sheet.  Wednesday November 4, 2009 9:32 John
    Hollinger 9:33

John Hollinger: New Rocket offense: Ariza passes it off the rim to Landry. Kept
    forcing misses, Landry kept grabbing rebounds -- 14 points in 2nd quarter
    alone. Rockets lead 48-44 at break.  Wednesday November 4, 2009 9:42 John
    Hollinger 9:43

[Comment From mikemike: ] in response to John H. and Kobe winning MVP. Your
    probably right about lakers needing to be several games in front of next
    closest team at end. However, he still won't get it. There is a lot of hate for
    Kobe, and unbelievable love for LeBron. Lebron more athletic. Kobe more lethal.
    Lebron wins MVP regardless.  Wednesday November 4, 2009 10:12 mike 10:14

John Hollinger: I disagree on the love/hate thing -- didn't Kobe win it two
    years ago? The problem is going to be that a) Carmelo is a great story, and b)
    LeBron and Wade and perhaps CP likely will have better stats. When he won two
    years ago LA's resurgence was the "story", now it will be that much harder.
    Wednesday November 4, 2009 10:14 John Hollinger 10:14

John Hollinger: On a positive note, he's keeping LA in this game by himself.
    Other LA guys looked whipped from the OT back to back. Kobe really having an
    efficient first 30 minutes.  Wednesday November 4, 2009 10:14 John Hollinger
    10:14

John Hollinger: Who's watching Houston-LA right now? Rockets are just murdering
    LA on the glass since the start of the second quarter. Come back soon, Pau.
    Wednesday November 4, 2009 10:19 John Hollinger 10:20

John Hollinger: Phil tried to get a blow for Kobe and it might be a brief one
    -- LA melting down here in fourth quarter of back to back without him. Back to
    layups -- and I mean easy ones -- put Houston up by seven. Let's see if Kobe
    checks back in.  Wednesday November 4, 2009 10:32 John Hollinger 10:32

John Hollinger: Rockets up by three with six minutes to go. In previous LA
    games, this has been whern their offense has melted down due to the lack of a
    go-to scorer. LA is pretty much Kobe and Bynum thus far -- bench has done
    little, Artest and Odom fairly quiet, and Fisher has a bagel.  Wednesday
    November 4, 2009 10:42 John Hollinger 10:42

[Comment From AndyAndy: ] Seems like LA is doing a much better job covering
    Brooks than in the playoffs. What're they doing differently?  Wednesday
    November 4, 2009 10:49 Andy 10:50

John Hollinger: Andy, they are. You could tell right from the tipoff that they
    had done a lot more scheming for how to defend Brooks and they've given Fisher
    a lot of help against the drive right from the start. It's opened some things
    up inside for Scola and Landry, but overall they have to be happy with the D
    tonight. Now if they could just give Kobe some help on offense they'll be all
    set.  Wednesday November 4, 2009 10:50 John Hollinger 10:50

John Hollinger: That's why I like the Artest signing for LA -- he can hit those
    spot-up 3s. But the big story was those traps they sprung on Brooks hte last
    trips with Bynum and Fisher. Totally broke down Houston's plays twice in a row.
    Wednesday November 4, 2009 10:57 John Hollinger 10:58

John Hollinger: Take that Ron. completely unrelated side note: Derek Fisher is
    having the best 0-point, 0-rebound, 0-assist game I've ever seen. Utterly
    impact free on offense, but several huge defensive plays.  Wednesday November
    4, 2009 11:00 John Hollinger 11:00

[Comment From PaulPaul: ] Hey Hollinger..Does Kobe know what "Team Basketball"
    is? He does know he can pass and trust his teammates? He just jacks up shots,
    hes avg 26 shots a game and maybe a dozen dimes in 4 games Wednesday November
    4, 2009 11:00 Paul 11:00

John Hollinger: Kobe is playing it exactly right -- Rockets are single covering
    him with Battier so hie's shooting. When the double came on the last trip he
    kicked to Artest for the 3. He's reading the D and making the right decision
    nearly every time.  Wednesday November 4, 2009 11:00 John Hollinger 11:01

Kevin Arnovitz: 

The Bynum screen gave the Rockets the opportunity to trap Bryant 30 feet from
    basket.  Wednesday November 4, 2009 11:03 Kevin Arnovitz 11:04

John Hollinger: Terrible decision by Fisher on that inbound play. Kobe was WIDE
    OPEN. Instead we'll get five more minutes here in Houston. I can't complain
    about that.  Wednesday November 4, 2009 11:04 John Hollinger 11:04

[Comment From NickNick: ] kobe was wide open!!!!!  Wednesday November 4, 2009
    11:04 Nick 11:04

John Hollinger: Exactly Nick. How do you miss that? I know they had 0.7 but
    he's still gotta be the first option, right?  Wednesday November 4, 2009 11:04
    John Hollinger 11:05

John Hollinger: Crikey, Fisher of all people should know that you only need 0.4
    to get a jumper away.  Wednesday November 4, 2009 11:05 John Hollinger 11:05

[Comment From WeasleWeasle: ] Fisher is the worst player that you absolutely
    cannot afford to get rid of.  Wednesday November 4, 2009 11:05 Weasle 11:05

John Hollinger: That's funny Weasle. And it might be accurate too.  Wednesday
    November 4, 2009 11:06 John Hollinger 11:06

[Comment From NoamNoam: ] That was a ridiculous call. Clean double team by
    Scole.  Wednesday November 4, 2009 11:13 Noam 11:13

John Hollinger: I had a poor angle for that call on Scola so I can't judge. But
    that's five on Scola, so potentially a big call.  Wednesday November 4, 2009
    11:13 John Hollinger 11:13

Royce Webb, ESPN.com: Lakers up 2 with 44.2 to play. Rockets have the ball.
    Timeout. We're in OT.  Wednesday November 4, 2009 11:21 Royce Webb, ESPN.com
    11:21

John Hollinger: That 6th foul on Scola was legit folks. The replay ruling was
    interesting -- really, they should have revised it to be a foul on Landry but
    they can't do that, and the ball went out off Bynum, so Rockets get the ball
    and a tying lay-up from Brooks. Brooks blew right by Mr. Triple Zero, Derek
    Fisher, and I'm wondering if Fish's legs are turning to rubber in his 2nd
    straight road OT game.  Wednesday November 4, 2009 11:21 John Hollinger 11:22

[Comment From Jeff (Phoenix)Jeff (Phoenix): ] Bynum just hit 2 from the line,
    LA up 102-100 Wednesday November 4, 2009 11:22 Jeff (Phoenix) 11:22

[Comment From mikemike: ] royce what was the out of bounds play you are talking
    about/ Wednesday November 4, 2009 11:22 mike 11:23

Twitter	RicBucher: Watching Hou-LAL on Slingbox. OT. Life is good.  Wednesday
    November 4, 2009 11:23 RicBucher 11:23

Royce Webb, ESPN.com: Just a random play. But a close call so they went to the
    replay to see which team to give it to. See Hollinger's explanation for more.
    Wednesday November 4, 2009 11:23 Royce Webb, ESPN.com 11:23

Royce Webb, ESPN.com: Landry jump hook ties game ... Lakers with ball.
    Wednesday November 4, 2009 11:23 Royce Webb, ESPN.com 11:24

Royce Webb, ESPN.com: Kobe feeds Bynum ... Rockets hammer him ... two FTs
    coming.  Wednesday November 4, 2009 11:24 Royce Webb, ESPN.com 11:24

Royce Webb, ESPN.com: Game is tied pending FTs.  Wednesday November 4, 2009
    11:24 Royce Webb, ESPN.com 11:25

[Comment From C33C33: ] I realize it's early but, Lakers in OT on back-to-back
    nights in games they should win handily?  Wednesday November 4, 2009 11:25 C33
    11:25

[Comment From PaulPaul: ] Royce you mean Kobe actually passed the ball to a
    teammate?  Wednesday November 4, 2009 11:25 Paul 11:25

John Hollinger: Good heavens ... is that Brian Cook's music?  Wednesday
    November 4, 2009 11:25 John Hollinger 11:25

Royce Webb, ESPN.com: Bynum sinks 2. Now 24.7 seconds to play, Rockets with
    ball, down 2.  Wednesday November 4, 2009 11:25 Royce Webb, ESPN.com 11:25

[Comment From Bigg DoggBigg Dogg: ] no pau though Wednesday November 4, 2009
    11:25 Bigg Dogg 11:26

Chip Crain, 3 Shades of Blue, TrueHoop Network: Bynum only made one free throw

Wednesday November 4, 2009 11:26 Chip Crain, 3 Shades of Blue, TrueHoop Network
    11:26

Royce Webb, ESPN.com: Oops, I meant that Bynum missed one, made one.  Wednesday
    November 4, 2009 11:26 Royce Webb, ESPN.com 11:26

John Hollinger: Only 1 of 2 for Bynum. Think Cook might have just been in for
    hte DRB situation though.,, could see Lowry out of the TO. Or Andersen perhaps.
    Wednesday November 4, 2009 11:26 John Hollinger 11:26

Royce Webb, ESPN.com: Rockets down 1 with 24.7 to play ... coming out of
    timeout.  Wednesday November 4, 2009 11:26 Royce Webb, ESPN.com 11:28

[Comment From MikeMike: ] not a shooting foul? are you kidding me?  Wednesday
    November 4, 2009 11:28 Mike 11:28

John Hollinger: Rockets still have a timeout left to use at practice tomorrow
    morning.  Wednesday November 4, 2009 11:28 John Hollinger 11:28

[Comment From Sam, LASam, LA: ] Even the LA commentators thought that was in
    the act Wednesday November 4, 2009 11:28 Sam, LA 11:29

Royce Webb, ESPN.com: Lakers strip Ariza. That's no way to treat an old friend.
    LA escapes with one-point win.  Wednesday November 4, 2009 11:29 Royce Webb,
    ESPN.com 11:29

Twitter	johnhollinger: Derek Fisher played 34 minutes tonight and had 0 points,
    0 rebounds, and 0 assists. Didn't think that was possible in an NBA game.
    Wednesday November 4, 2009 11:30 johnhollinger 11:32

12. today

today Contributing Member

Thanks! Glad to see that we weren't just being homers regarding the Odom foul...

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Should be in game thread, but interesting.

DD

14. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I find it interesting that as much as we celebrated chuck in this game.. he was not mentioned in that chat.

15. durvasa

Hmmm, I think you're probably right. Sorry about that.

16. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Tough loss =/

17. abc2007

abc2007 Member

A typical lakers fan...

18. durvasa

Hollinger is a Lakers fan?

No.

19. {icebox425}

{icebox425} Member

The Rockets kept on getting 5 and 7 point leads, then kept letting the Lakers come back to tie it. They had to hold them to win the game. The Rockets are really going to struggle beating teams in the clutch. They're going to have to get out ahead and bury them early by taking transition 3's etc and hoping they fall. I like to call this technique catch me, **** me.

20. Artesticles

Artesticles Member

We have to get a GIF on that Brooks' foul. Pretty obvious he was in the act of shooting IMO. They didn't give it to him because he didn't have a good shooting angle I think.