1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Possible US Airstrikes on ISIS in Iraq

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Aug 7, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

We'd be greeted as liberators!

2. bongman

bongman Member

Just like what we did with the taliban. Oh wait....

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There's a considerable difference between fighting in Afghanistan and fighting in Iraq and Syria. I'll give you 3 guesses as to the primary difference but if it takes more than one you should feel bad about yourself.

4. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Think this is funny or coincidental? We have bombed and destroyed their lands, people and economy. We have essentially created a new Afghanistan in Iraq by overthrowing Sadaam. But the moment when our Government makes decisions that show we are ready to leave, "the Terrorists" do drastic things to keep us there a bit longer.

We spend so much of our economy on the Military. Every day we are there, it costs us the Taxpayers close to $75 million. We are so obsessed with the Middle East: OIL and terrorists. Yet find our selves defenseless at our own Borders. And the moment we are ready to leave that God forsaken desert...crazy Muslims, and organizations the CIA helped create suddenly become national security threat #1.

These extremists have silently assimilated into our culture, infiltrated the minds of young impressionable youth and are waiting to strike fear in the hearts of millions of unaware Americans. Islamic extremism isnt a slow growing cancer; it is a rampant virulent epidemic. Its why moderate Muslim nations/people havent taken care of their inherent problem: the attraction to fundamental Islam. They have all acknowledged it as status quo...and have failed to do anything about it. Sadly this complacency has jeopardized our way of life...too bad our government will continue to twiddle their thumbs and point at each other until the next big strike on American soil occurs.

[/end rant]

5. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

There is no solution to this. People can and always will hate us. Ignore it and spend the money here instead.

I am not "siding" with terrorists.

I know who they are and why they are doing it.

Sending military force is not a solution, it will only make things worse.

I am siding with "Stop making dumbass decisions based on emotion"

What is really played out is trying to solve a problem with money and bombs that can't be solved.

It's like you morons learned nothing over the last 15 years and 15 trillion dollars spent. :rolleyes:

6. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

The Saudis will probably not approve.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yes there really is a solution to this, wipe them out. They aren't in Afghanistan where they can hide in caves, if we wanted to we could hunt them down and completely destroy them in a matter of a few months. If we were smart we'd put a permanent base in Iraq to take care of any further uprisings like this.

No, you're just parroting the propaganda they spew right before they decapitate someone.

I don't doubt you do, however that's not really relevant.

Not true at all, it's pretty much the only solution.

You are parroting their propaganda and suggesting we do what they say.....If that's not siding with them, it's best friends with siding with them.

That's where you're wrong, it can be solved if it were done right. Running away and leaving the terrorists to their own devices is exactly how ISIS got as strong as it did.

Clearly you failed to learn the lesson that you can't just ignore terrorists, they have to be destroyed and you can't just walk away from the situation and leave a power vacuum for them to fill.

8. TheresTheDagger

So your suggestion then is to ignore a bastion of extremism in the middle east that hates us, wants to come after us when possible, while we live in the nuclear age. Interesting.

People will always commit crime too. Should we just ignore that too?

First, you're gonna have to show me where I said spending money or using bombs was the answer. It seems putting words in my mouth is part of your schtick. I simply made fun of your self loathing. And its plenty easy to do since...like I said...its played out. Oh, and its also the rallying cry of those too obtuse to look deeper than their own sense of moral outrage.

It's also incredibly boring.

Second, using the word morons to describe someone you don't know (me) or even my positions seems like the act of someone who desperately is clinging to his own ideas while flinging poo at those who dare to challenge you on them.

tl:dr Get over yourself.

9. larsv8

^lol two posts of idiots attacking me like they know me, without any semblance of a rational thought relating to ISIS.

Enjoy your 10 year long crusade to wipe out ISIS meanwhile planting the seeds of the next ISIS by wiping out infrastructure and innocent victims.

You dolts will never learn. :rolleyes:

10. TheresTheDagger

Oh he mad. :mad:

I'm not attacking you. Or at least not calling you a "moron" like someone else in this thread did. :rolleyes:

I'm attacking your thoughts (or lack thereof) in your posts. I haven't made any other comment in this thread.

Also...at the risk of repeating myself...I have yet to spell out any sort of "attack ISIS" plan...or for that matter any plan at all?

Are you daft?

11. larsv8

Please do lay out your plan then then chief. I am sure we would all love to hear it.

12. TheresTheDagger

I'm not qualified to speak to that (and never claimed I did). I have not the military intelligence, diplomatic background nor political experience to come up with a cogent plan on a basketball website.

However doing nothing (as you suggested) seems...I dunno...very wrongheaded.

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So it's better to do something even not thought out so well and unilaterally vs taking time to do it right?

Hmmmmm...

14. treeman

treeman Member

This is some amazing stuff - larsv8 is reminding me why he was once on my ignore list. You get on it by either being too obstinate to converse with or saying ridiculously outlandish things. The things that his keyboard is producing now... an IS spokesman will surely reach out to him soon, because he's better at presenting their argument than they are.

Perhaps larsv8 could replace Abu Mosa, who was killed trying to take Taqba airbase? They are in need of a good propagandist. He could go over there and fight the "evil empire" that he clearly hates. :rolleyes:

Freaking pathetic. Dude's worse than glynch.

15. larsv8

Well if you don't have any ideas perhaps it is a little daft to comment on others?

16. larsv8

Yes, how outlandish of me to suggest we brought this on ourselves and recommend we take a new approach of trying to bomb our way out of it.

I mean, I am REALLY reaching here.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, you're not reaching, you're parroting IS propaganda. I'm sure they appreciate it.

18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I am interested in what you suggest would improve the situation: 1) What would reduce the threat of terror to the Western world these people pose, 2) What, if anything, you think should be done to help the people terrorized by ISIS (and its equivalents) in the region?

Am I misreading your argument when I read "It's the USA's/the West's fault that ISIS exists in the first place" and "We should do nothing"?

Do you think that the current problems will go away/improve by doing nothing?

I usually enjoy reading your posts, am surprised by your take on this issue and am genuinely interested in what you would suggest.

19. treeman

treeman Member

You're a freaking moron.

You wanna know what brought this on? Islam. Particularly, the Wahabbist / Salafist strains. This fight LONG predates any Western influence in the region. If you think that we can just pull back and they leave us alone then you're an idiot.

Some problems can only be dealt with by dropping explosives on people. See... well, hell, see every war in history.

Jesus. :rolleyes:

20. larsv8

ATW, my question to you is what "threat of terror"?

I have never in my life been afraid of a terrorist. There are a bazillion more things in this world that are more of a threat to me than terrorists. My approach to the threat of terrorism is the same as my approach to car crashes, lightening strikes, AIDs, robberies, and so on and so forth. Which is to not worry about it, because it is statistically irrelevant.

To ask me to support an extremely costly military incursion to wipe out ISIS, which is not even guaranteed to work, while simultaneously ignoring our crumbling infrastructure, which in my opinion, is a far more serious threat to my way of life is illogical and I will not support it, no matter how brutal these decapitations are. I am sympathetic to those who died, as well as their families, but bombs won't fix this, in fact, its likely to make it worse.

So, to answer your questions:
    1.) What would reduce the threat to the Western world is to advise our citizens not go into war zones overrun with zealots who hate us.
    2.) There is pretty much nothing you can do that will not have consequences later.

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2014/08/youre-nine-times-likely-killed-police-officer-terrorist.html

FTR, I appreciate your rational approach to this discussion, rather than the war hawks who can't control their patriotism.