1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Possible trade for LeBron James?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HoRockets, Jan 23, 2003.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

What did we give up for Francis, anyway? I remember Micheal Dickerson and a 1st round pick, but none of the other details. I know it wasn't very much or fair to Vancouver.

Lebron will have a lot more hype than Francis, but Mobley + Griffin + 1st pick is probably what Cleveland can reasonably expect, depending on other teams' offers, of course.

I personally wouldn't be all that thrilled to get Lebron short-term wise. He's obviously not nearly as humble as Yao, and I can see him going Kobe and jack up tons of bad shots for us the first few years. But there's no question his amazing ability.

2. TCDREAM

TCDREAM Member

3. LiTtLeY1521

LiTtLeY1521 Member

ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE.

We are all gurus...all the NBA players respect us and listen to us daily. They care about us so much.

4. codell

codell Contributing Member

Sane,

You are saying exactly what I said. You are suggesting a trade so that we would have a core of Yao, Steve and James. I don't care about all the semantics. The point I was making is, Cleveland is not stupid, and if they land the # pick, who some are predicting will be a franchise player, then more than likely, they are going to want something of value in return. Let's go ahead and break it down (I will be objective as possible):

Maurice Taylor - Cavs have Carlos Boozer who at this time, is at least Mo's equal and might even be better. Plus the fact that he is younger and much less expensive than Taylor. Cavs dont need him and probably dont want him.

Eddie Griffin - Obviously there is upside with Eddie, even though he is progressing slowly. Again, Boozer, at this time, is at least EG's equal. With EG's upside being higher than Boozer's, the Cavs might see him as a nice piece to their puzzle.

Glen Rice - On his last legs with one year remaing on a monster contract. They have Darius Miles at the 3, who is by far the superior all around player.

Bostjan Nachbar - Has no real trade value at this time. With him being a 3, the Cavs would harldy see him as valuable bait.

Moochie Norris - Cavs have Bimbo Coles. Personally, I feel Moochie is the better player, even though their numbers are similar. Moochie also has the age advantage. However, with Wagner at the point and playing 35+ mins in the future, and with Moochie's high contract, the probably don't view Moochie as eye candy.

Kelvin Cato - Definitely trade bait. Cavs could use him with Ilgausakas constant health issues.

Joaquin Hawkins - Not worth anything to the Cavs. They could probably find someone just like him in the 2nd round or in the NBADL.

Cat Mobley - With the exception of this shooting percentage, Davis looks like the better player this year. Doubtfoul they would trade for a starting SG when they already have one.

James Posey - Again, not much of an upgrade over Miles for the Cavs.

So in conclusion, we defintely have two players that Cavs would want, Francis and Yao, but who you probably aren't willing to give up. So that leaves us with Griffin and Cato as players that they would see as valuable to their team.

So in the end, are Griffin and Cato worth LeBron James?

5. Sane

Sane Member

Of course not. But why did you just write up that huge post when I told you that I actually agree with you.

Here is what I think: We are unable to acquire the #1 pick if Cleveland gets it. BUT, I would gladly put every single member of the Rockets team outside of Francis and Ming on the board if the acquisition was even a distinct possibility. We don't have Lebron's worth in players, but if the Cavs are stupid, I'd offer everything.

I think the scenario to be discussed is if we hire Lucas as an assistant, and Lebron demands a trade here. That way, Lucas gets to deal with Lebron personally (to train him) and Lebron also gets a good "ego coach" in Rudy T.

6. rsl5181

rsl5181 Contributing Member

when people were making yao ming predictions, no one had ever seen him play. they had seen 2 seconds clips of him in the chinese league and versus christofferson. ive seen about 200 minutes of lebrons play. yes, its not all that much, but its enough for me to know hes not going to be any good next year. im not saying hes eventually going to be great, but with what people are saying, he should be putting up numbers comparable to jordans rookie year: 28 pts, 6 assists, 7 rebounds. my predictions for lebron: 5 pts, 1 assist, 2 rebounds and a mouf full of diamonds and gold.

and ricky davis is a stud on the rise. his value is much greater than mobley or griffin

7. Sane

Sane Member

If Lebron averages 15, 4, and 4, it would be so incredibly impressive. Why? Because he'd be 19. He'd be a regular 20, 5, 5 guy by the time he's 22. What after that?

It's all a matter of how hard he'll work, which is the case with all the greats. MJ, Kobe, T-Mac. They were all selfish and lazy, until they figured out what they had to do.

8. rsl5181

rsl5181 Contributing Member

i agree with 15, 4, and 4 being incredibly impressive. my point is is that it has no chance of happening.

9. codell

codell Contributing Member

Sane,

You just made my point for me. We do indeed agree that we don't have even close to the combination of players that the Cavs would want. So why even suggest or post a trade?

That is my point. I am not opposed to posting trades. Its the silly trade proposals like the one being talked about in this thread that get to me. :)

10. Sane

Sane Member

The thing is, it will happen, and the next excuse will be..."He was on a crappy team..."

They won the lottery. Obviously, they're a crappy team.

I have to say, I have my reservations too. He's not lightning quick, and until he adjusts, he'll have trouble blowing by players regularly. But it's all about potential. That ugly word. But this guys has more potential than anyone in any draft ever.

T-Mac's body, Magic's vision, Vince's hops, and Kobe's determination. But that's all potential. It will all depend on his coach and his team.