1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Possible Target: Chris Duhon

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by emjohn, May 11, 2007.

1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Are you kidding me? Duhon is worse than Rafer in every category. He had a shooting slump earlier in the year where he went something like 1 out of 35! I'm no Rafer lover, but anyone that wants Duhon needs to check the tapes on a few Bulls games this year. He's like Rafer without the supergreat handles IMO.

2. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

HOw about Keyon Dooling?

3. Barkley

Barkley Member

Better but i do not think so

4. Precision340

Precision340 Member

You haven't seen Duhon's teardrops?

5. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I'd rather have a scoring PG if I'm going to get a back up, but Duhon wouldn't hurt. He's really good defensively, and he's a decent playmaker. During the regular season, the Bulls were better starting Duhon and Hinrich and bringing Gordon off the bench.

6. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

hell no. he's the rafer alston of the bulls!

7. matpio

matpio Member

I like him.
    Good defender, good playmaker, young, he would be a great backup PG and Rafer would be probably more effective (he can't be less effective anyway) if he was playing less minutes.

8. Sextuple Double

Why do people keep knocking on Rafer for his 3pt shooting!!?? Watch the games, he's more than a legitimate threat from outside. It's what he does inside the arc that concerns me.

That being said. Of course I would want Duhon on the team. Any backup PG who could at least manage the game would be a significant upgrade. Seriously, Luther Head is not a PG in any aspect of basketball. No disrespect to him he's a great shooter and all, but if we get a chance to get a quality PG to split minutes with Rafer, then Rockets management should be all over it.

9. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

no Dookies with Bad wheels (GHill)

No way

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Looking at the last few posts, I guess the first question is whether we want a new starting PG or if we just need a backup for Rafer. Duhon would definitely be the backup because he's worse than Rafer. I was hoping we could trade for or sign a new starter and put Rafer in the backup slot he belongs in. Finding a player to split minutes with Rafer isn't good enough IMO.

11. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I'd rather have a backup that would offer a change of pace. Rafer is plenty good when he's surrounded by talent. He runs the team well. It's just when the talent comes off the floor and he is the talent that he's so miserable. That's why Mike James was so attractive with Rafer. He's terrible at running a team, but he can take over a game by himself occasionally and offers the punch that is often necessary. Ballhog scoring PGs usually make bad starters, but they sometimes can make good backups.

12. paul g

paul g Contributing Member

Unfortunately the rockets will not ever win a championship with Rafer Alston as a starter on the team. Need caliber player to make it work. Duhon or alston off the bench maybe but not starting. We need a Deron Williams or TJ ford type player. How about Juan Dixon?

13. Barkley

Barkley Member

I think TJ Ford is the best option. He is quick he is a great playmaker and he can shoot but also drive to the basket so well. I'll be very happy if Ford will become a Rocket

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Duhon is your classic caretaker do-no-harm PG. He is pretty much Rafer Alston, as many have pointed out. I'd take him... but with or without Duhon (or someone like him) the Rockets need another playmaker... Duhon is definitely NOT a playmaker.

15. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

Why would Toronto trade TJ? He is the best PG they had in years! But the fact is that the Raptors have a lot PG 's ... so let 's trade for those guys!

I don 't know if Toronto would do this ... but who knows?

Houston trades Head, Sura 's contract and JL III for Dixon and Calderon!

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=2806~1707~2763~2866~825&teams=10~10~28~28~28

That gives Houston 4 PG 's: Alston, V-Span, Dixon and Calderon ... so we could trade Alston and our pick to move up in the draft and get a decent rookie (SG or PF)! :D

16. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

Duhon and Rafer are very different players.

Duhon is actually an excellent defender.

Furthermore, I still think Rafer is our starting PG just like I STILL need we need him to stay fresh and play no more than 30mpg. Duhon would allow us to do just that.

However, I would be worried about our 3pt shooting from the spot with Rafer, Duhon, and V-Span competing for the spot.

Maybe we can get Damon Jones for Alston? Give us 3 different options at the PG spot:

V-Span: brings energy, can penetrate, drive and dish, poor 3pt%
    Duhon: can defend and dictate the tempo, with average 3pt%
    Jones: Protects the ball well (ass/to ratio), dead-eye shooter

That kind of PG rotation would prepare us for facing different teams. Also, let V-Span know this is business and no one if just going to hand him minutes. Everyone in that group has strengths and weaknesses and only effort will seperate the 3.

Once that's done, we can focus all our attention (remaining MLE, vet min, draft pick) on upgrading our PF position and general depth.

Man, there has to be a way for us to unload Juwan if we throw in our first rounder.... right? I'm thinking we can find a good upgrade for a package that's Juwan + 1st rounder + Luther, then we go ahead and sign a SG with our remaining MLE (if any) or vet min to cover Luther's spot.

I hope Morey works some magic this summer.small but effective moves. No major trades, but just the right tweaks.

17. Proz4k

Proz4k Member

I like the idea of playing duhon as a backup, Rafer will be more effective for sure, but the problem with that is that Duhom is a starting PG in a second-round team, he won't sign with a team that he's going to be a back-up PG.. so he won't come that way.

and Dooling is overated..

18. metalshred

metalshred Member

Time for u to stand up V span. If u think u can do it, this is when u have to prove urself.

19. ferrarif1286

ferrarif1286 Member

billups is the answer as the free agent rocket should pursue with their life. Alston will be backup pg which i believe he would do much better, vspan should be developed fast he and head can play the 2 guard, tmac can play the 2guard and small foward also. Battier is swingman with hayes, not counting juwan howards huge a$$ contract is due next yr. With this move the team will be heading to a new direction with a veteran battletested leadership

20. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

How big is Marquis Daniels' contract? We should go after him, dont know how, but it seems like Indiana didn't play him much last season, so maybe we could get him for cheap.