1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Possible Redick injury?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by JusBleezy, Jun 22, 2006.

1. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

Worse than him being injured, it is possibly a back injury of all things. With this said, how do "Redick to Houston" supporters feel? Does it completely change your decision? or does it not change anything? Feel free to add your comments of course. :)

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/100-06222006-674061.html

Redick Cancels Workout With Sixers
    22nd June, 2006 - 10:07 am
    Philly Burbs - Duke guard J.J. Redick cancelled his workout with the Sixers but the team found out yesterday the sharp shooting guard had cancelled, according to the Philly Burbs. Michigan State guard Maurice Ager will now take his place.

No official reason was given for Redick's decision. Redick canceled last Saturday's workout with the Celtics because of “unspecified back pain,” according to the Boston Herald.

“There is a chance he will (still make it here prior to Wednesday's draft),” said Sixers president Billy King. “We're working on it.”

2. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

As a pro-Redick guy, I find it very concerning. The last thing that the Rockets need is another injury-prone guy. However, I would still like to get him. I wouldn't take him at #8 but I have always been a supporter of trading down to get him.

I'm kind of hoping that this is all an elaborate scheme between Redick and the Rockets to keep other teams disinterested. I know it's way far-fetched but stranger things have happened. That whole Toyota with Texas plates thing is a little peculiar.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Smoke screen to make sure he gets to the Rockets.

DD

4. JaWindex

JaWindex Contributing Member

If he's damaged goods, stay away. Otherwise I think we should take him.

5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I can't see the back problems being a bluff to get him to Houston. For one, the #8 pick seemed to be Redick's ceiling. There was talk of Boston potentially taking him at 7, but that would seem to be iffy. Redick did say which team he went to was the most important thing, and not where he was drafted... but Houston is already at his draft peak it would seem. You're better off just cancelling workouts rather than saying there is an injury.

What concerns me is that there is no reason given in that Philly article as to why he pulled out. I guess he doesn't have to give a reason ... but you wonder if he's hiding the back issue. Or maybe he got a promise from us at #12 :) (kidding)

I don't think we take him at 8. If we trade down I think he is a candidate. We'll see.

6. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

I'm a big Redick supporter. However, I never wanted to take him at #8. That #12, #15 and JR deal sounds perfect. I really like the idea of having JR and Redick at the 2. I really hope that deal goes down.

7. hooroo

hooroo Member

http://celtics.bostonherald.com/celtics/view.bg?articleid=144156
    June 17, 2006

8. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

You guys that think his injury is some kind of elaborate scheme to get him to the Rockets are delusional, when did that ever happen in the history of the NBA. Man, this is SPORTS not Desparate Housewives. :rolleyes:

9. JusBleezy

10. Outlier

Outlier Member

Dude, screw Carney. I don't want that rat face. Go Brewer.

11. Drift Monkey

Drift Monkey Member

+1 :D

12. topfive

topfive CF OG

I'm guessing JJ hurt his back trying to chug a keg.

13. JusBleezy

Nice reasoning for wanting Brewer over Carney! -2

I personally want him because of his excellent shooting form and pesky defense. He can catch and shoot, guard the other team's best players (or at least do as good a job as Wesley because of his athleticism). Brewer has ball handling over Carney, but his shooting form worries me because regardless of who will be our SG for next season, he will receive plenty of open shots. If he can't knock them down, his ball handling will be somewhat negated because his defender will now slack off of him. That will enable teams to double Yao and Tracy more because he can't hit open shots........like Wesley (most of last season) and Rafer (ditto). That's my reason for wanting Carney over Brewer.

#13 JusBleezy, Jun 23, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2006
  14. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

[susan powter]

Stop the insanity!!!

[/susan powter]

Brewer isn't a bad shooter. He has a funky LOOKING shot, but it goes in at a very respectable rate. He's not the best 3 point shooter available, obviously, but he is still capable. If you don't think the kid can/will work on his shot to make him a threat from 3 in the NBA, you probably need to read more about him as a person. He is ALL about improving the parts of his game that need attention. He is the guy that will never be happy with himself and say "I don't need to get better at anything".

Example: He shot .266 from 3 his freshman year. Then in the off season he worked to improve it, and the next season he posted a sparkling .396 percentage. He did drop to .338 last year, but it's somewhat deceiving. He actually shot very well for most of the season, but he fell into a 7 game shooting slump (5-35 from 3) that really killed his percentage. In the other 25 games of the season (roughly 80% of the schedule), he shot at a .397 clip. Even during the shooting slump from 3 point range he still managed to average 17.0 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 3.1 apg, 3.4 spg, 1.0 bpg. Mind you, that includes a blowout victory where he played limited minutes and thusly put up a statline of only 2/2/3/0/2.

So ask yourself this...what could J.J. Redick do if he went into a slump from 3? I'd like to know because you can see what Ronnie Brewer does. He still finds a way to get near his average points (actually over if you don't count the blowout game), while still doing a little (and in some cases a LOT) of everything else.

Add to that his .462 career FG%, which is higher than any SG prospect in our range, except Roy. Yes, even higher than Redick.

So please, stop saying the guy can't shoot. It's simply not accurate. He's not J.J. Redick from behind the arc, obviously, but that doesn't mean the guy is chopped liver.

And I said I wasn't going to get into this anymore lol...I guess just take this for what it's worth to you. I'm not here to argue with anyone or change opinions of people that don't want them changed. Read what I wrote and if you're feelin' it, great. If you're not, that's fine too.

#14 ClutchCityReturns, Jun 23, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2006
  15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I'd love Brewer on the team, but I can't help but want to trade the #8 for the NO/OK picks 12 and 15. If we have eyes on Brewer, we might as well trade down; he'd be gone, but you could get Thabo Sefolosha, whose game is very identical to Brewer's. And an Alexander Johnson, or a shooter, whomever.

16. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

He may have a questionable motor, but he doesn't look like a rat.

[​IMG]

Besides he has become Tmac's protogee so you might better get used to him.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I can't believe that Redick's slight tweak of his back is any big deal, the guy played 4 years at Duke. My guess is it is either:

a. Smoke screen to get him to a team that he wants to go to

b. A slight pull that will heal quickly.

I think the fact that in his DUI he was driving a TOYOTA with TEXAS license plates says a lot about Houston.

DD

18. Outlier

Outlier Member

He does. Look at the many pictures with his mouth open.

19. Outlier

Outlier Member

Redick's back or Roy's knees?

Redick's back or Roy's knees?

Something to ponder about...

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I haven't heard of any health problems Brewer's had.