1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Possible Move to Durango

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Mkieke, Aug 23, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

I have a 2-year rotational opportunity in Durango, CO (all others are either still in Houston or in Bakersfield, CA), and I was curious as to what people thought of the city/area. Blows? Beautiful and fun and never gets old? Isolated so you can get stir-crazy?

I'm 26 but a huge nightlife isn't necessarily a priority.

Thanks in advance!

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Durango is very rural(lots of rednecks) and makes all it's money from the tourist industry. However, it one of the prettiest areas in the entire country. You are right in the middle of the rockies, surrounded by millions of acres of public wilderness. If you like the outdoors, you can't beat it. If you like hanging out with people that don't wear wranglers and talking about worldly events, you will beat your head against the wall.

You get millions of acres of this.

[​IMG]

3. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

I went skiing at Purgatory about a decade ago. It was a pretty nice area from what I remember.

4. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

You can buy weed legally. That's something.

5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I would like to live over there. I need to buy a stand and just sell weed.

1 person likes this.
  6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Durango is a nice college town. One of the bigger CO cities to the West of the Rockies. You won't feel isolated. I like it.

What makes it awesome is its proximity to some of the most incredible places in Colorado. Ouray, CO is what many consider the most beautiful town in CO. Telluride is spectacular to. If you like to fish, there a lot of rivers full of trout. Pegosa Springs is about an hour away. Plenty of skiing option although you far from the heart of CO skiing. Also, do you like rodeos?

You have to go see Mesa Verde, too.

7. mugrakers

mugrakers Member

If you get a chance to have an "extended" vacation in Colorado, you would be nuts to pass it up.

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I had a finance related job offer a few years back associated with the Ute tribe... But ultimately passed and we decided to move to Austin (from Houston). Keep in mind this wasn't a rotational thing. If I got fired, didn't like it, whatever I was kind of stuck out there. Plus I was 30 with a family. But man was I tempted. Durango is really cool...

But it is definitely a small town.

We'll actually be there next week as we are headed to a wedding in the middle of Colorado. Maybe we'll have to swing by Ouray. Were definitely checking out Mesa Verde... Even though I've been 3x already. Never gets old for me.

If it as good a career opportunity for you as not going, and if you're 26, single, and it's rotational, I think you should go.

9. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Not as redneck as previous poster implied. Great place and some decent amenities, including lots of hippie chicks if you are so inclined. You'll also be able to hike somewhere different every weekend. Only issue is that housing is priced like a resort, so the rent might be higher than what you expect. Of your choices, Durango is by far the best.

10. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

Mountain people =/ rednecks

11. rhino17

rhino17 Member

If you are really interested, its definitely doable for only 2 years. I lived in a mountain town for a year and it was completely fine. Lots of these mountain towns don't feel as small as an equivalent sized town in ohio or something. They rely on tourism so they have lots of things to do, places to eat and shop.

I would absolutely recommend it

12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Nice lines, rather large. As long as it has AC, I would be OK with if I were single. Would be a tough sell to the ladies. Better than living in a compact, at any rate.

[​IMG]

13. trigun333

trigun333 Member

At first I thought why do you want to live there, but I was thinking of a different Durango.

[​IMG]

Dangerous place to be at the moment.