1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Possible Bonzi Trades

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by PolarBear, Dec 1, 2006.

1. fv court

fv court Member

This was going to be my suggestion. I heard an interview with the Bulls GM John Paxton yesterday. He said they were looking for more scoring out of their PF. PJ Brown and Bonzie are both expiring contracts. Seems like a fair trade IF Chicago wants to take on the remaining years of Howard's contract. I'd do the trade in a minute.

2. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

I can't believe people are actually talking about trading for Webber, hahahahha.....I'll rather take Bowen back, besides that it's not possible due to the money he makes for another year or two...

here are my wishes

Howard, Bonzi, future first round for Andres Nocioni

Howard, Bonzi, future first round for Jamal Tinsley or Stephen Jackson

3. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

BONZI AND HOWARD

FOR

ETAN THOMAS.

4. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Come on man. You mean to tell me if Duhon or Pietrus were on the market, they wouldn't draw more value than cap relief. Nobody else in the league is going to offer those teams more for Pietrus or Duhon than an expiring contract? It's not realistic. Those guys are 2 assets. If either of those teams takes an expiring contract for them it will be because they are getting a draft pick/picks out of the deal. We would have offer Chicago our first rounder plus Bonzi and even then I doubt Chicago does because our pick woud be a bottom of the first round pick, essentially a salary added to their books with a small chance of making a significant contribution. Duhon is in their 3 guard rotation. Duhon for a deal including Luther or another one of our young rotational players would be a possibility. Same thing with Pietrus. Golden State is going to get better offers than an expiring contract. They are not on the cusp of a championship that Bonzi would put them over the top to waste a Pietrus talent for a 4 month run in the playoffs, only to lose him for nothing. Pietrus and Duhon have more value on the market right now than an obese player with an expiring deal.

You guys wanting Swetney up there in Chicago. What are you thinking? We already have a problem with being too slow and we are trying to get quicker. And you know fatsos ain't going to play for JVG. Swetney would give us nothing except a chair strength tester. Come on now.

One of you capologists, if we trade for Mo Pete, don't we have the right to sign him this offseason without digging into our MLE? I wouldn't do a trade for him unless we could. I just thought we would have the ability to sign him and not count against our MLE. Am I wrong?

PJ Brown is a pipedream. He is a better player by far than Juwan and he is expiring. You aren't gonna get Chicago to take $20 some odd million back for an expiring $8 million contract. If they want to move PJ, they can get a lot better deal for him than that.

When you look at these trade scenarios, you have to be realistic about what other teams are trying to do and what stage they are in in their plan. Are they rebuilding, are they a contender trying to become elite, are they giving up on mediocrity and cleaning out the closet to start a rebuilding program, or are they a championship contender looking for that last little umph that will hopefully put them over the top? If you understand where other teams are, and if you have a handle on what they are doing and if you understand the salary cap to some degree, then you can come up with some possible plausible trade scenarios. Otherwise, you are just posting useless trash trades which will never take place.

One rumor floating around right now is Miami sending Antoine or Posey to the Clip show for Maggette. Although that would make sense for Miami, does it make sense for the Clippers. Don't think so. Walker is horribly inefficient and is on a long term deal. Clips get a much worse player and a much worse contract. If that deal happens, Baylor is a r****d. And Posey?? I guess that would be a maybe. Although, if you look at the Clippers situation and their history of being fiscally conservative, I would think they would rather move Maggette for possibly an expiring contract and a young player and/or draft pick. A good match for the Clippers would be a team that is struggling and looking to upgrade their talent level and make the playoffs and add a piece to their foundation. If said team had expirings to match Maggette, that could possibly aid the Clippers in whatever area of weakness they have and if the middle of the pack team was willing to toss out their mid first round pick for Maggette, then the Clips would be more likely to do a deal like that. So, in my mind, if Miami is going to get a deal done with the Clippers, they may have to find a third team that will take on a Posey and in exchange give up a mid first round pick. Denver is a team that could possibly get involved here. They may be interested in a Posey as a shooting guard and be willing to give up Joe Smith and a first rounder to get it done. Their first round pick may be enticing enough to the Clippers to get a deal done. It's a lot more realistic than Miami giving them pick #28 or whatever plus Posey for Maggette.

5. MystikArkitect

Wells, Howard + 1st rounder for Rashard Lewis.

6. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Come on... if you're gonna make a suggestion, realize that Howard has very very little value this year

and Bonzi has just some value. He's out of wherever he goes after this year. It's a FOUR MONTH RENTAL for some team.. on top of the fact that he's overweight, out of shape, and has always had an attitude problem. they're not gonna give up a big asset for that.

I'd rather keep him and hope he can help us out 2nd half of season..

7. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

It really cracks me up when these supposed trades are brought up after 1 month. On top of that people try to make trades that dont really help the team now or in the playoffs. Lets look at this team and their weakness. I think the biggest weakness in the solid 3rd option. Since it looks like T-Mac will not be the guy we thought he will rebound to, the team needs a quality 3rd guy. With Bonzi salary and say Howard, the Rox can get a max type of guy or close to it. The question is, do the rox want that salary. I have a few options.

Zach Randolph: He's a hard head off the court but probably the best back to the basket player. He's a very good rebounder,free throw shooter and scorer on the blocks. He a nd Yao could hi low because of his range. If the Rox really want to be contenders, the could throw in a 1st rd pick along with Howard and wells. Whether or not Portland wants to give him up might be different. Howard has 2 yrs left and wells has a option yr. It could basically be a salary dump.

Abdur-Rahim: I still think this is the best option for the Rox. He's versitile,can score on the blks and out to 17ft, good ft shooter good lockeroom guy. He makes mle money and eventhough Bonzi just came from there, so did stromile. He would be a great fit and a very reliable third guy without taking a volume of shots.

Marbury: I see the penetration taht Rafer gets but doesn't finish and can imagine what steph could do with that. Not known as a winner but took a 1st yr Amare into the playoffs with phoenix.Makes a lot of money for next 3 yrs. NY might be in a salary dump and might can squeeze David Lee out of the deal and give up Rafer also. Could help catapult and really put fear into the defense in the post season. Hasn't turned 30 yet either.

I just think the Rox need that one guy that can get consistent point without tracy or yao. The guy probably needs to be a 4 with some size because i think Hayes and howard are backups. On the right team Rafer would be to, but he is cool at controling the tempo.

8. jopatmc

Throw in Bob Sura's contract (expiring) plus a young player (Novak) and a future first rounder and take back Earl Watson.......and it is a possibility. Seattle gets 2 first rounders, cap relief, and a young shooter. We get Rashard and Earl.

9. Pocket Rockets

How about Bonzi to the rockets for $2 million
    l
    l
    l
    V

10. anitasri

anitasri Member

Jamal Magloire?????

11. Flamescreen

Flamescreen Member

I'm in favor of using the players you got, but if they have to trade him, I'm all for a good back center or backup forward center. That's the area the team is lacking the most IMO. Ofcourse it would prolly be impossible for the Rox to get that for Bonzi, but you never know.

12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Look, Bonzi ain't gonna play for the Rockets, so for those who think "give him a chance"...

I think he's sitting while the Rox are exploring trade options for him. Come January, good-bye.

Plenty of teams wanted him. Find them and come up with something that makes sense for the Rox.

13. Danbury

Danbury Member

I would do this in a heartbeat! Unfortunately, no NBA GM would ;)

14. KGHossman

KGHossman Member

Zach Randolph is definitely not an option. He is the only piece of the old blazers that they want to keep. They are definitely not gonna take back a former member of the jailblazers. He was one of the players they did not want to bring back.

Marbury is out of the question as well. There is no way we can make the salaries match, because both teams are over the cap, and there is no way we are gonna offer yao or tmac to match.

Abdur-rahim is a good possibility, but Sac doesn't look like they really need him. Kevin Martin has played extremely well for them so far, so I don't know how getting bonzi would help them that much

15. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Yes...a trade for Mo Pete transfers his full Bird Rights. And the Bird Rights mean the Rockets don't have to dig into next summers MLE like they would for Wells...BUT...

TOR is a very young team with a whole lot of cap space next summer. They are not IMHO going send HOU a starting caliber SG and chew up their 2007 FA money on re-signing Wells and whomever is needed to balance the trade unless the deal is awfully sweet. And "awfully sweet" IMO is Luther Head. If I were Colangelo, that would be the position I would take.

16. trifecta333

trifecta333 Member

I guess there is no way to get Stevie Franchise back easily? He and Yao are aparently pretty tight, even though he would be teammate with T-Mac whom he was traded for. Anyone think there would be any clash between the two? :confused:

17. henrock

henrock Member

Since people are throwing trade ideas out there, how about Bonzi and T-Mac for KG?

18. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Personally, of course I hate the idea of us paying somebody not to play but I think everybody here is underestimating the importance a 3rd gun type player and difference maker like Bonzi. He's the kind of player that could make or a break a playoff series.....especially if [GOD FORBID] an injury occurs. A player with that ability is a nice luxury to have on your bench whether he's playing RIGHT NOW or not.

Now unless some kind of strange development occurs involving Bonzi for real not playing at all, I see no need to give up on him just yet.

I am completely aware that he is one of our limited trade assets but unless the deal involves a considerable upgrade (doubtful), then I am all for standing pat. Earl Watson, Danny Fortson, Mike Sweetney, Etan Thomas....none of these guys make us any better.

19. jopatmc

I was thinking our draft pick and expirings. Obviously Bonzi is just the salary to make the deal work, not a piece that BC is interested in keeping. Toronto essentially pulls a lower first round pick for Mo Pete. Although, I agree Luther would probably get the deal done also. BC is talking about adding a longer term piece with Mo Pete's salary. Not too many teams are willing to give up a long term piece for an expirings without feeling like they have a substantial shot at re-signing the guy. And if he is a MLE contract player, he is going to go to the team that gives him the best combination of minutes and winning. Houston does make sense in that scenario.

20. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

So we keep on trading until we have a lineup full of all stars for Mr. Van Gundy??? How about we actually use the players that CD has brought in for once and give them a chance first?? How about just getting Wells on the court, and seeing what we can out of Novak and Billy as well instead of chucking Alston, Howard, and Scotty the Body out there for useless minutes?? We have the talent right here folks, I'm always up for trades, but when u have a talent for a mere 2 mil, and pretty decent rookies (cheap also), we ought to maximize the talent........I'm through tearing our whole team over and over again for a coach who doesnt maximize talent