1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Positive Optimism|Rockets may not be as bad as people think

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Le$$, Jul 4, 2016.

1. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

Once we struck out on Horford, I wish Les would've gave up on being competitive. Gordon and Anderson make the team better but it doesn't move the needle enough regardless if Durant didn't go to GS. And it's not like we have any assets to get an elite player either.

Watching Ben Simmons do well in SL so far makes me want to tank because there are some great prospects in the upcoming draft. I would rather watch a young and developing team with elite potential prospects than be stuck in mediocrity while having probably a less than 1% chance of winning the title.

Hard to be excited about the direction of the team except for Harden, but will still follow the team through thick and thin.

2. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

We'll make the playoffs and lose in the first round. If folks are content with that, my hat's off to them. It's not hard, we've been barely making or missing the playoffs for over a decade. Let's keep treading water; that's what "winners" do!

3. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Is there such thing as negative optimism?

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Yes, pessimism

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

negative optimism is somewhere situated between

positive optimism optimism and total negativity and pessimism.

Just trying to be objective and realistic here. :grin:

6. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Do you think Les will panic and fire Pringles 11 games in (after giving him a contract extension) if we're not winning? Cause that would be funny.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

dejavu

did I do that already

oops

8. Zergling

Zergling Member

The Rockets are clearly a better team than last year for a number of reasons:

- No Dwight Howard - terrible below average center who made a boatload of money and whined about not getting touched despite being a piss poor, turnover prone, inefficient post-player. Total addition by subtraction. Capela is a better defensive player and having him and hopefully DMo at center improves the team's rim protection. Yes, better than Dwight.

- More players lost that are addition by subtraction - Lawson (obviously), Terry (horrid defense), TJones (total trainwreck)

- JBB is gone. Mike D'Antoni is at least a competent coach that gives the team an identity with his fast flowing offense. This is quite compatible with Moreyball and we're acquiring players that fit the system well.

- Rockets 3pt shooting will be remarkably better with Anderson and Gordon. We will be a top 5 team offensively, and making more threes means we won't give up as many fast break points on defense.

9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

No team can beat the Warriors so every franchise is wasting time for the foreseeable future. It's a formality that the Warriors will win the next 3 rings at least.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Barring injuries

I do not wish an injury upon anyone but it happens

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

In this case, I hope Durant goes full Tmac from a nut punch by DrayDray during practice.

This is beyond obscene.

12. Ultimateian

Ultimateian Member

Ive always thought McHale was a great coach. Maybe not the almighty leader, but a great coach.

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

Actually with KD signing with GSW and Gasol signing with Spurs the chances of winning a ring for the next 2 years are pretty much zero, so in this case I'm happy to have an uptempo team who will get a decent seed (3-6) and make some noise in the playoffs. Most people who think we're gonna be first round exit are delusional, it's a toss up after GSW and Spurs especially with CP3 starting to show his age in CLips.

The team right now is objectively better than what we rolled out with last season, esp. if we get to keep DMo. While it could've been better (wtf why not Barnes over Anderson at this amount), that's some progress at the very least.

14. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

JB actually produced a better record than McHale last season, not that I'd want either back

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Rockets will win 53 games

The only issue is beating the teams we should beat
    In the west We should only be concerned about: Warriors, Spurs, CLippers, Mavs and Trailblazers

Warriors and Spurs might sweep us
    but we should split with all the others.

We should have winning records against the rest of the west.
    I think that East has only 1 team that we should not have a winning record against

Rocket River

16. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, i don't think we're second round material, but that we can reach the playoff i'd say yes.

17. PeppermintCandy

IMO the current team's ceiling is the fourth seed and the second round. Achieving that would make next season a resounding success.

Maybe Morey can work some more magic and upgrade the roster this offseason, and maybe we can aim for the third seed. But there's really no realistic way the Rockets are going to reach the levels of GSW and SA anytime soon.

18. Chamillionaire

Honestly I don't care how many games we win next year as long as:

We play together and hard on both ends of the floor (especially on defense).
    We are competitive and make the playoffs (and I think we will).
    Don't play like we did last year.

19. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

The roster isn't as bad as most people think for sure, but the question is how good of a coach D'Antoni will be.

20. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Harden and Gordon would have to flourish in the back court together .

Gordon, Bev
    Harden, KJ
    Ariza, Corey
    Anderson,Beasley
    Capella, DMo