1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1. Classic

Classic Member

Posey would be a huge upgrade over Bjax. I'd take him in a s&t for bjax. It would be funny if we added two ex-celtics (posey/cassell) and two ex-spurs (horry/barry) and dropped all the trash on our roster. It would be championship or bust next season.

drop: head,bjax,novak,hayes,woods,
    add: greene,dorsey,horry,posey,cassell,barry

So, lets get this straight, rumors and options have us at the following possiblity for 08/09.
    12 man:
    alston/cassell/brooks
    tmac/barry
    battier/posey
    scola/landry/horry
    Yao/dorsey

[Actually a pretty flexible roster to go big or small IF healthy]

15 man
    Deke/Harris/Green

Those seem like realistic options although I wouldn't be too happy about it. However, obviously, health and age are going to be a huuuuuge concern. Championship or bust should be the theme in '08/'09. Kind of reminds me of a jvg roster! :eek:

2. rterry

rterry Contributing Member

Not only are these not realistic options they are complete pipedreams, other than signing Barry none of this has a remote chance of happening, because:

Posey is a FA and wants more than the MLE.
    Casell is old, over the hill pg that Morey is way too smart to sign.
    Horry is old, over the hill PF (has gotten way too slow to play SF) in a position we already have covered with 4 players better than him (Scola, Landry, Hayes, Dorsey) Morey is way too smart to sign him

3. Classic

Classic Member

I'm sure that it won't happen, but I was just combining all the 'rumor' threads that are being discussed at the moment. I sure as hell don't want another JVG roster.

4. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Wow bro calm down.

5. Possum

Possum Member

Last year I suggested we go after Posey and 90% of the people here gave me crap over it. Saying he sucked. Where are u now beeechus! :mad:

6. poprocks

poprocks Member

Posey Not Happy with Offer

Wow..any chance we can get this guy?

Though agent Mark Bartlestein declined to name the other franchises that filed offers for James Posey, the group is known to include a substantial list of playoff teams like the Cleveland Cavaliers, the Houston Rockets, the New Orleans Hornets and possibly the Detroit Pistons and the Los Angeles Lakers.
    It's unclear how close the Celtics' offer came to the mid-level, long-term deal that Posey wants, with the desired first year starting at approximately $5.8 million and extending over four or five seasons. The C's opening move obviously wasn't good enough to bring matters to a quick resolution.

"They would like it, and we would like as well, to get it done right away," Bartlestein said. "We'd like nothing better but that's obviously not the case. But we'll see where it goes from here." -- Boston Herald

If Posey doesn't take discount, he's gone

Bill Burt

A few weeks ago, we were nominating James Posey for president.

The Boston Celtics sixth man, Kevin Garnett's top pregame hugging buddy, proved to be his team's version of Patriots poster boy Troy Brown — willing and able to do whatever it takes to win.

A few weeks from now, barring concessions from Posey's camp, he may be gone.

The Celtics forward, who officially became a free agent yesterday, has basically been told, via his agent Mark Bartelstein, that the Celtics will not enter a bidding war. And I mean not even close to a bidding war.

In fact, if Bartelstein, who is apparently steamed beyond belief, was paying attention, the Celtics sent that message loud and clear on draft day by bringing in two athletic mid-size players.

The expectation on draft day was that, per ownership's orders, they didn't want to take on any new salaries, in order to save up money for Posey.

That first round pick salary is guaranteed for two years at about $2 million total.

Instead, with the 30th pick the Celtics selected a talented enigma in J.R. Giddens (who has a Posey-like frame ... interesting?) and then paid cash to acquire Bill Walker, who was chosen 47th overall by the Washington Wizards.

For good measure, with the last pick in the second round the Celtics chose "Mr. Irrelevant," Turkish center Semih Erden, a 7-foot-1, 240-pounder who averaged 6.8 points and 4.3 rebounds per game in the Euroleague this past winter. Erden, though, will remain in Europe at least one more season.

The Celtics ownership group has told Danny Ainge & Co. that Posey's dream of twentysomething million isn't happening here.

The Celtics are over the luxury cap as it is, which means whatever they were to pay Posey would be doubled, based on the "tax" they would pay to the NBA pool.

If you recall, Ainge admitted it was a tough sell to sign Posey in the first place for $3.5 million last season, but thankfully, Celtics owners trusted Ainge on that one.

The one-year Posey and Eddie House contracts ate up most of the $5.8 million mid-level last season.

Rather than give Posey, who turned 31 in January, the three or four-year deal he would want, at that $5.8 million per year, the Celtics would like to keep that mid-level exception open for some potential star who would come here for one season to contend for another championship.

With Garnett politicking, some interesting veterans might want that slot (see Corey Maggette) and shot at a championship for one season.

What could work in the Celtics' favor is that there aren't many teams out there, with cap room available, that need Posey. Most of those teams, like Memphis or Philadelphia, needs stars.

And the teams that could use Posey, like the Lakers, are in the same position as the Celtics are, over the salary cap, which means they would in essence have to pay double for Posey's services.

His hometown Cleveland Cavaliers, where he'd be a perfect complement to LeBron James, is a possibility.

What could work in the Celtics' favor is the fact the Posey had a religious-like experience here in Boston this past season. According to his dad, James Posey Sr., it was the best year he ever had in sports.

That would mean Posey taking another deal in the $3.5 million vicinity, probably for one or at most two seasons. Celtics owners would have to be convinced, too. And I'm not sure if they would do that.

Which brings us back to draft day.

Giddens, whose agent also is Bartelstein (isn't that interesting?), might be good enough to play important minutes next season. While two inches shorter than Posey, he too is a high energy player with the strength and long arms to make an immediate impact on defense.

Such is the life as a champion. You win some and, unfortunately in Posey's case, you might lose them, too.

"When you win a championship, some players get the opportunity to get a bigger contract," said Ainge last week. "You can't blame them.

"http://www.eagletribune.com/pusports/local_story_184001600.html?keyword=topstory

7. poprocks

poprocks Member

8. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

You know thats how us 99ers roll :D

9. TwinTowers1986

Posey would be a great addition. He's the type of role players every title team needs. We have a guy like that in Shane Battier.

10. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

The beauty of it is that his versatility would be uselful when we go small or when we go big.

I think Posey would be a great signing. I thought he would have been great last season as well. I've always felt Posey was a solid player and I would never mind throwing a 25M contract for 4 years with a (PO) in the fourth.

11. TwinTowers1986

I agree he's a proven championship player who doesn't care about stats. Investing 25 million in a player like that wouldn't be bad at all. He does a bit of everything, he'll defend the other teams best player, he'll hit 3's, he can finish at the basket and he'll step up in the clutch. He is exactly what we need.