1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Portland Willing to Deal No. 13

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by thumbs, May 23, 2008.

Tags:
  1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

That too! If this was because of the Otis Thorpe for Clyde Drexler trade, I'll call it even.

2. lastmanstanding

I'd think we'd have to give up Shane for their pick since they want a guy like him so bad.

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Agreed!

4. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

i think the rule of thumb when it comes to picks is..

if you can't draft a player better than what's on your roster, trade the pick.

5. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

i.e. Ryan Gomes---the offensively minded SF backup

6. hooroo

hooroo Member

Yes, but the Rockets headhunted one of their scouts.

7. YugoRocketsFan

Nicolas Batum, would love that dude to be on the Rockets.

8. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

that was my point.. some of the people on this site.. I won't name names, think Battier isn't as good as those "scorers" and would gladly trade for him. For even a pick in the teens they would trade him. Those are the people I am really glad aren't running the rockets ;)

9. saleem

Can you tell me who is that?

10. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Can we just ship Chuck Hayes/Steve Novak and 3 mil cash for their pick or something? They bought Phoenix 24th pick for 3 mil only, and we're giving them a decent backup

11. hooroo

hooroo Member

Some guy called Pat Zipfel

12. mzymmm

mzymmm Rookie

Agree, Westbrook is the best point guard after Rose. Totally worth to trade up if he's there at #13.

I think we might have a chance to draft CDR at #25.

Not sure about Batum, he's good to have, but I am not high on him. It will be good to have someone who is long on the perimeter to go against teams like Jazz.

13. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

How come nobody's mentioned Kevin Love?

14. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

There is already a thread dedicated to Kevin Love and how he would fit as a Rocket. There is really no need to discuss him in this thread.

Kevin Love: How would he fit as a Rocket?

15. saleem

They have the 13th pick not the 24th pick. There is a big difference between the 2 things.

16. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

I wouldn't mind trading up to get Russell Westbrook. But according to draftexpress.com's profile of him, several of his characteristics listed there concern me:

• Struggles in half-court
    well aren't we primarily a half-court team?
    • Average ball-handler
    Not as much a concern: but PGs are meant to be good ball handlers
    • Average shooter
    This also worries me, aren't we looking for a PG that can score and to make key shots off double teams on Yao and McGrady?
    • Ability to create own shot
    We can't expect to much in this department, but its still a weakness of his.
    • Mid-range game
    A scorer sorely needs a midrange game to well, score
    • A starter at PG or SG?
    No combo guards thanks
    • Needs time to develop
    we cant really afford much time for his development

As far as his jump-shot is concerned, Westbrook is mostly a catch and shoot player, hitting only 18 3-pointers on the season (on a 34.6% clip), usually on open looks, in rhythm and with his feet set. His release is not the quickest or most fluid around, and he lacks accuracy when rushed or forced to shoot off the dribble.
    Offensively, Westbrook’s biggest source of production (nearly 30% of his offense) curiously comes in transition. He plays a fairly small role in UCLA’s half-court offense (only 8% of his offense comes from either pick and roll or isolation plays) , mostly as a complimentary piece—moving off the ball trying to find holes in the defense to get to the rim with his tremendous strength and leaping ability, or shooting wide open jumpers.
    -draftexpress blog

The image given to me by his profile is he'd fit in greatly with an up-tempo game such as the Suns(they'd be really lucky to be able to draft him with the no. 15 pick). Great in transition, drives up to the basket and finishes offensively really well.

So therefore I don't think he fits the Rockets.

17. rockets_fanatic

Who ever we draft needs to be a decent sized SG/SF. We need a young guy who can shoot the open shoot and create of the dribble. A guy who can contribute this season, but primarily there for when T-Mac and Battier retire. Yao will still be there, and hopefully Brooks will be much better.

I havn't studied the players so am not sure who fits the bill, but that is the type of player we need to get this off-season.

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The grass is greener on the other side. The Rockets have been, at best, the th best team in the league every year for over a decade. And for a number of years, considerably worse than that.

Nobody's suggesting trading Battier for Kleiza, or JR Smith.

I did suggest trading him for essentially Travis Outlaw (who is also a good defender, though not as good, and a better offensive player) AND a high draft pick...doesn't seem unreasonable...so much so that the Blazers would be the ones saying no.

19. tchou

tchou Contributing Member

Ouch...sounds like Stromile Swift...

20. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

i watched russell play every single game at ucla and a lot of his shots are shots he creates for himself in the half court. he actually does a lot of driving and pull ups rather than a catch and shoot. i mean if this profile is accounting for his freshman year as well then i would agree. but i cant remember last time i saw a player make such a huge leap from his freshman to sophomore season before. when collison was out early this past season russell filled in admirably running the point at ucla and still lead the team in assists towards the end of the season.

a lot of his half court struggles have to do with ucla's offense. howland runs a very patient, at times frustratingly slow offense which really ends up with the players having to take shots under pressure and the shot clock. since they use so much energy playing defense they in effect "rest" on offense trying to pass the ball around the perimeter. the whole team itself was a poor half-court team offensively because of this. they were at their best when they were able to produce steals or play good defense to get transition easy buckets. Russell was a huge part of the great perimeter defense they had. I would only believe his shot to get even better with practice he has great elevation on it and has good mechanics just needs to put in practice, which he did over his freshman to sophomore summer. he will have to practice a lot more to become a better shooter from range.

a big strong, athletic guard who is also quick and very good finishing around rim, preferring to throw down dunks than laying it in. tenacious defender (pac-10 DPOY) I think he would flourish in a system like adelemans actually. where he can help create and pass the ball around.

if the pick is made available to the rockets somehow and if russell is still there at 13 I would lose my mind if the rockets dont pick him up (of course if there is a better player available--someone who fell unexpectedly--thats different but as most mock drafts have it being played out right now)

but its all a big if of course every team fans feel like they are going to be the ones dealing for the picks or players (like trade w/ bulls now)