1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Portland want to trade Rasheed Wallace.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by reptilexcq, Jan 16, 2004.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Sheed is soft. He jacks too many 3's.

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Let's factor in things like players around him.

Last year he played with Glenn Robinson, Theo Ratliff, and Jason Terry. A good shooting 3, a good defensive center, and a good scoring pg who can get you 6 assists a night. A team like that should compete a little more in the East.

3. ckahlich001

ckahlich001 Member

from what i heard, wallace is really interested in playing for houston only if we keep mobley and francis..and also reports have been that mobley and wallace have been real tight like buddies during the befores and afters of rockets V blazer games

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Agreed. But I submit their NOT winning was not Rahim's fault. Interesting that Robinson was traded. Terry is very off and on and Ratliff has been injury prone. Not to mention their coaching changes. On "paper" the team looked good but everyone realized, including Babcock the GM, that they made some BIG mistakes putting that team together. And then of course Babcock was fired.

5. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

that's actually a selling point for me. unless it's changed for the worse in the last month, sheed shoots a good % on 3's (and was real good the year before) and doesn't demand the ball much. on defense, he's he long and mobile guy we would love to have for guarding the big time pf's of the game. he's like the crazy version of robert horry and i would love to have the 1995 robert horry on our team spacing the floor but still capable of guarding the post.

of course it all depends on how much we have to give up for sheed and how willing i am to have a crazy person on the team. since trading for him just weakens us elsewhere, lets just hope we put that trade exception to good use and somehow get sheed (or some pf that plays offense and defense) this summer.

edit: and what the hell is SAR doing these days? i swear i can't remember the last time i saw him play. the hawks are never ever on national tv, i sure as hell don't watch them on league pass, and we haven't played them this season. plus they never get mentioned in articles on espn unless it's just to remind us they suck. i assume he's putting up his 19/8 like usual but he could weigh 400 pounds for all i know right now.

edit edit: just checked: 19.5 and 9.3. actually upping the rebounds a little this year. but pretty much business as usual.

#25 francis 4 prez, Jan 16, 2004
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2004
  6. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Sheed's in the last year of that contract and can sign with any team after this season. If the Rockets don't make a deal for him now, we should definitely pursue him in the offseason.

If we can use the 6.5M exception right and trade one of the big guys (Cato/MoT), we should be able to offer Sheed a nice deal.

I think we have a pretty good chance of landing Sheed in the offseason, gets to play with Steve, Yao, and one of his good friends (Cat).

No matter if people like his attitude or not, Sheed would instantly make us a good playoff team and soon a contender.

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

That was only speculation on Peter Vecsey's part. He wrote that between sips of JD. One would guess that Sheed would want to come here because of Steve and Yao "and that is why neither has been included in a trade offer" (I'm paraphrasing from Vecsey's article).

Yao won't be included in a trade offer because it would be inter-galactically r****ded on our part to do so. Steve won't go to Portland; we would send him East, if anywhere, but Portland wouldn't risk him becoming a disgruntled head case (they've got plenty of those, including the topic of this thread).

Cat would be the real draw for Rasheed.

8. hooroo

hooroo Member

if a three way deal is made the nets need to be included. must get something back from them maybe kenyon martin?

9. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Using your logic, we definitely shouldn't go after Elton Brand then. Nope. No way. No how. :rolleyes:

10. Rule0001

Rule0001 Contributing Member

Looks like Dallas will get him.

Then again Rasheed would probably prefer dallas and plus dallas has players that Portland would actually want.

sigh.....

11. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would much, much, much prefer SAR. JUST LIKE PORTLAND.

12. wizardball

wizardball Member

i would rather want Rahim rather than Rasheed ....who thinks David Stern's making as much as 3/4 of the players in the league......i wonder what he was smok'in when he made those comments..he's a nut case.

all you guys who think Cato will get you Wallace must be kiddin...Jamison is 100 times better than Cato will ever be....other than maybe the One preseason game where Cato had like 30 Rebounds...to get him his 30 million....idiots.

anyway NO RASHEED....bring in SAR!!! poor guy has never played on a team that has made the playoffs(or had a winning record)....what a waste of talent.

i'd give Cuttino and MoT/Cato + draft pick for SAR alone.

13. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

You could've had him last year for Glen Rice + Eddie Griffin (was Cat a part of the supposed deal, too?).

14. Charvo

Charvo Member

I don't see a reason why Portland would want a power forward in exchange for Rasheed Wallace. Zach Randolph is one of the best at this position. Jamison is a tweener, but he played mostly power forward in his career including his days at North Carolina. If the Blazers want to deal Wallace now rather than after the season in a sign and trade, I see a trade of Cato + Pike for him being reasonable. Both these guy's contracts end after 2006 which is a big reason why I think they would rather take this deal than take some monstrous deal that has long-term committments when Paul Allen has definitely stated he wants to cut payroll.

15. jshabang

jshabang Member

The point is this guys.........

Other people can offer slightly better players...but with monterous contracts....

Everyone thinkin dallas has a trump card with Jamison is smokin.....Portland doesn't want this over paid role player with a max contract....trust me...

And since when was Jamison such a great player that Portland would drool over......He's not that much greater than what we can offer guys....plus our trump cards are reasonable contracts that are up in a year or 2 max....

I personally think that fact plus the fact we can offer an exception worth 7 mill tickets makes us definately a player fellas

Anyone thinkin we're not in the game is bananas....we are a finalist if any of THIS BS IS ACTUALLY TRUE:rolleyes: ;)

16. Black Sheep

Black Sheep Member

Shareef won't improve our team. Trade just for the sake of trading...

TRADE NOT ACCEPTED DUE TO IT BEING MEANINGLESS

17. wizardball

wizardball Member

how will shareef not help this team?...the team is clearly lacking a PF(the team's inability to shoot staight is another topic)...MOT is undersized and Cato is too slow and clogs up the lanes because he can't score a basket from more than two feet...

Shareef is a perfect fit....he's unselfish... and does'nt mind being the second fiddle..PLUS he's a good rebounder..he's in the top 10 this season...the Rocks can certainly use a consistant reb. who can do more than just REB.

.other than not having a true PG this team would be great...You need skilled size to compete in the WEST...just look at all the powerhouses SAC-SAN-LAK-DAL....learn from the best..

18. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

MOT is the same height as reef, and has a larger frame....

19. VinceCarter

VinceCarter Member

I agree SAR would be a good fit. For the right price though.

Shweed would'nt look bad in a Rocket uniform either though too bad wo got rid of Moochie. Those two would have some good sessions together.

20. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

sighhh :( :( :mad: