1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Portland and Goran Dragic

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RedDynasty, Apr 9, 2012.

1. cod

cod Member

Blazers only have 26-31M on the books for next season. They can afford to give sizeable contracts to both players.

2. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

I'd trade Lowry for Aldridge, other wise those hipster mofo's Portland aren't getting any of our rockets

3. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

You are talking about a team with no superstar players though. It's a whole different story when you have players like Durant, Rose, Dirk eating up your cap and when you have $42MM invested in four players with only one of them having made an all star team. I personally think it would be very unwise of them to throw all that money at a player that has made a good run in a contract year. If you give $20-$24MM of that $26-$31MM to two players while only adding Dragic do you make yourself that much better of a team? If the Blazers are smart they should be targeting Lowry and not Dragic.

4. OremLK

OremLK Member

Yep. Lowry is the most cost-efficient addition they can make to their team; they could probably get him for the New Jersey draft pick depending where it falls. That would leave them plenty of cap space after re-signing Batum.

5. dreamshakin

dreamshakin Member

imo the best option we have is to get rid of martin who makes 12 mil for nothing, and then resign dragic for around 10 mil. 3 guard rotation of lowry, dragic , and lee can be very effective.... however idk what we are going to do about Llul -_-

6. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

I would not trade Lowry unless we'd be getting their Nets pick in return.

7. noppeper

noppeper Member

I'm assuming you mean effort in the classic, he's playing with "hustle" sense. If that is the case, then I agree that it's a stupid argument. However, what I see is better decision making and a consistent level of focus that are helping him execute plays that before looked like from a player that was talented, but with an ostensibly low basketball IQ.

Unfortunately, we don't seem to have a lot of evidence in prior years' performance as a starter to make an informed assessment about his career prognosis and his real market value. We just know that he's looking really good right now, and it just so happens to be his contract year...

In any case, with the acquisition of Camby and the emergence of Dragic, the Rockets are looking like world beaters and are providing a system/culture for players like Dragic to succeed. Hopefully that will be enough to entice him to stay with the program, and if he does, I hope he keeps up this level of play.

8. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

relax ... why do you think McHale is using the two-PG line-up?

To give Goran an idea of how two starting PGs can share backcourt duties.

You think it would be easy to give up the friendships and chemistry he has built here? As long as DM doesn't low-ball him, Goran will stay with the team he has experienced success with.

9. cod

cod Member

Aldridge is a superstar in his prime. That's why the Blazers aren't rebuilding.

10. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Goran's style fits McHale's simple inside-out offense that earlier in the season, the team was having difficulty with. He's always attacking, playing with pace, looking to penetrate then dishing when defenses collapse. Add to that, his creativity with the ball. It's very hard to guess where he's going with the ball. He's a "whirling dervish" type of player as McHale said once.

But as we saw earlier in the season and in the game vs. Sacramento, he has weaknesses. When he encounters defensive bigs in the lane (like Hassan Whiteside), he cannot penetrate and the ball movement dies on the perimeter. That's where Kyle's strength lies. Kyle uses his toughness and strength of personality to enforce his will on the game. See how he stabilized the team vs. Sac the other night.

In other words, my spiel to Goran would be "You're perfect together."

11. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

As a Longhorn alum I absolutely love Aldridge but he does not deserve to be called a superstar yet. If he was a superstar the Blazers would have a winning record. He doesn't have the best supporting cast in the world but it is good enough that they should be battling for a playoff spot and shouldn't be getting blown out the way they have quite a few times in the last month. He is a very solid player but I don't think you can win a championship if he is the best player on your team.

12. Cluch City

Cluch City Member

When do u guys expect Les to say "we will & or do wat ever it takes to keep Goran?"
    Like his done in the past. & will gogie remember we tried to trade hi ass & or will he go for the $ or b part of something BIG with us?

13. sgl_carlos

sgl_carlos Member

If we can trade k-mart during the nba draft we can resign dragic. I think k-mart's contract is worth 10 mil? Not sure.

14. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Worrell said, early in the broadcast, that he spoke with Portland officials and they confirmed that Dragic was their #1 target this offseason.

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Kmart's status has nothing to do with Dragic's signing. We have his bird rights. We can sign him for any amount we want to. The only reason we would dump Kmart and his contract is if we had an opportunity to sign a star in the offseason. Since there is only one star available and he happens to be a PG that wants to play in Dallas, I don't see that happening.

We would rather keep the expiring contract and productivity to help us land a star in a trade. For example, if we were to trade Lowry and fillers for Howard, we would need Kmart's contract to make the numbers work.

16. cod

cod Member

Keep on hating Hollinger.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Catching a plane but I told the Pdx scribes I'd be back for Dragic's press conference in July.</p>&mdash; John Hollinger (@johnhollinger) <a href="https://twitter.com/johnhollinger/status/189593099713003520" data-datetime="2012-04-10T05:58:12+00:00">April 10, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

17. nt24

nt24 Member

I sure hope so, I would hate to see another team "overpay" for him and have him blow up into a superstar

18. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I hate the idea of competing with a team with an unlimited pocketbook for a player's services. Either way we lose. We are either going to lose Dragic or pay him a crap load of money.

19. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

We don't lose if we pay him all star money and he plays like an all star.

20. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

yeah but the Blazers will be able to offer him more than what we will.