1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Portland and Goran Dragic

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RedDynasty, Apr 9, 2012.

1. noppeper

noppeper Member

What a heartbreaking fact.

And if Dragic is doing all this just for a contract, I will be royally pissed at humanity in general.

Although not entirely surprised.

I really want to say that Dragic is legit!

2. Juxtaposed Jolt

I would bust my ass and play super well if it was my contract year. Everybody would.

3. passdarock

passdarock Member

Goran should stay with the rockets. He has tremendous upside potential. For some reason I dont think D. Morey willbe able to keep him. The rockets should make an offer to dragic and c. Lee. If the rockets let both of these players go, D. Morey and the rest of the Rockets org can suck it.

4. OremLK

OremLK Member

I always think this is a stupid argument. You can't play very much harder than Dragic already did night in and night out. He can't magically make himself play better, he can only put in more effort on the court. Maybe he's doing that, maybe not, but regardless, the skills are there and the effort was already there.

5. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

I was on the Lowry side of the debate until just a couple games ago... it's becoming much harder to say now, but Lowry is still a baller, and for only 6M, it's hard to say no to him. Dragic is probably going to require about twice that much. Do you really think he's twice as good as Lowry?

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yes....because Lowry is vastly underpaid.

DD

7. barnsleyfan123

Doesn't mean anything when there's a salary cap. Plus Houston could give him a max contract if they really wanted to since he's our own free agent

8. chief

chief Member

I agree with you on this as it would be really stupid for the rockets to let dragic go. Imo he is better than Kyle Lowery and we should resign him at all cost even if that means trading kyle.

9. MiRRoR_TeRRoR

MiRRoR_TeRRoR New Member

keepppppppppppppp Goran please!

10. passdarock

passdarock Member

True. Keep in mind that even if his numbers go down next year, he has a high trade value.So, give em the contract.

11. Acedude

Acedude Contributing Member

As much as I love Dragic and how he's been playing, note that the Blazers announcers did in fact remind the viewers that Lowry had 33/8/9 in the first outing between the 2 teams.

For all the teams that are looking for a starting PG, we'll be in great shape at the 1 regardless of the outcome.

12. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

$12 million means bye bye Dragic. I don't see us paying more than 10.

Under this new CBA he should be getting $7 million starting for 5 seasons. I see teams offering him $8.5 million starting for 5 years. The Rockets might get him for $8.2 million starting for 5 years with a team option.

13. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

Unless a team better than the Rockets who are in desperate need of a PG has enough money to sign him, he's staying here. I think he has enough sense that we have a great team already with more than enough minutes between him and Lowry.

*Teams that fit that criteria? Nobody.

14. Blaster_333

Blaster_333 Member

Yeah I think it's better to think of it that way. It's not like we're losing Steve Nash and we have to rely on Telfair & Ronnie Price moving forward. Do what you can to keep Goran, just don't overpay.

If he leaves, we still have a borderline all-star guard in Kyle Lowry for a couple seasons, and you can use that money elsewhere, like maybe getting a younger defensive 5, and someone like Taj Gibson coming off the bench.

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

Both Lowry and Dragic are worth 12M a year. Look at pgs making similar money and you'll see what I mean. The going rate for an average pg is around 9M a year, just ask Conley Jr.

16. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Yes, that's kind of my point. That's what makes Lowry such a good player to have. Even if 12M or so is fair market value for Dragic, it's still twice as much as Lowry costs, and he's not twice as good.

17. Outlier

Outlier Member

If Dragic stays a Rocket, I'm gonna buy his jersey.

18. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

It is what it is. He's a free agent so may the best bidder win. Expect the blazers overpaying Dragic, that's just how they are.

And as for the Rockets overpaying Dragic? I'll give you a few minutes to analyze..yep, they won't. That's exactly why, they traded Aaron Brooks for Gogi. Well they knew Dragic had more potential of course but the main reason was, Brooks was to become a free agent and about to get paid.

So what do the Rockets try to do even before this season started, trade Dragic. If not for David Stern, Gogi would've already been in New Orleans.

As a Rockets and Gogi fan, if we ever decide to spend on a player in the future.. Let's start with Goran Dragic.

If not, it sure would sting especially if he ends up to a team like the Blazers who are somewhat one of our rivals. But like i said, it is what it is.

19. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

With the CBA renewal the cap is a b**** to be over. Owners are more united against the players. Like politicians, teams have the mentality that you don't step on my turf and I don't step on yours. If the Blazers enter a bidding war for Dragic against the Rockets that means the Rockets would do the same when they have a good free agent we want. The Blazers did give us a quality center for next to nothing (consider what we got for Battier who is not 7 feet tall), so that may be a, 'hey we need a point guard so here is a gift/freebie to help you guys in (making) the playoffs'.

I know it sounds complicated, but it's not. He will give Houston at least a $1 million discount per season (that his agent wouldn't talk him out of) because of Oregon's income tax rates.

20. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

The Blazers are going to have to pay Batum too. If they end up having to give him $10MM or so a year it is a big risk for them to go out and spend another $10-$12MM to acquire Dragic. That would tie up about $42MM of their cap space in just four players over at least the next three years and they have already used up their amnesty. I really can't imagine they would offer Dragic more than $8MM a year.