1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Popovich - "we live in a racist country that hasn’t figured it out yet”

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ipaman, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, that's adorable. Try again rookie.

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You admitted it yourself. There have been studies with people who are white and black. Both have the same work experience, education level etc. Blacks don't get the jobs at near the level of whites, nor do they get promotions etc. I've presented them to you, and you flat out said that you didn't believe the respected and accepted studies.

You have zero credibility to discuss this issue.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL respected and accepted by whom? Other people pushing that false narrative? I'm shocked.

Look, you can feel free to think that masta has yet to set black people free and they are but helpless victims if you like, I'll keep treating black people as if they are competent adult humans who are responsible for their own actions and situation.

You guys are fun to laugh at, but you are really doing a disservice to future generations by teaching people to believe that they are victims and that they are not responsible for their own actions.

cml750 likes this.
  4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'll thank you to not put words in my mouth. I'm talking about evidence. You have some narrative that's BS and then when called on it, you claim I'm advocating for minorities to act only as victims.

Like I said, you aren't able to have a real conversation on this topic.

5. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Yeah, we just had 8 years of a black president. And blacks are overrepresented in media with an estimated 20 percent of characters on broadcast TV being black (vs. 13 percent of the population). But this country is pretty racist...:rolleyes:

bigtexxx likes this.
  6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What's funny or sad - depending on how you look at it - is that you think what you just wrote somehow means that racism is not a problem.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You aren't talking about real evidence though, you are talking about propaganda by people pushing a narrative.

Also you are absolutely advocating for "minorities" to act only as victims when you pretend they don't have agency and that they aren't responsible for their own outcomes.....and saying that black people have agency and are responsible for their own outcomes isn't a "narrative", it's the obvious truth.

You can find all kinds of studies that are respected by gender studies types that try to paint a picture that women are oppressed due to a "wage gap" and it's the same type of thing.

cml750 likes this.
  8. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Oh, racism is a problem, but not the way you believe. If you're a white male who isn't a self loathing, beta cuck, you are enemy number 1 to the left. You've got a United States Congresswoman saying she's proud of her grandson because he yearns to be other than white. You've got Antifa instructing pregnant white women to abort their babies for the good of society, and you've got government entities with benefits programs that exclude whites on the basis of their race. I could go into detail but someone I care about works for one of those agencies and I do not want to risk their job.

9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Your argument is terrible.

You first say that the wealth gap explains a lot of the uneven treatment between whites and blacks in America. Then you say that the wealth gap is fair because it depends on decisions made by people, including the decisions made by people's parents. White people and their parents have made better decisions and therefore get to reap the privileges of being wealthy.

Then I point out that for a significant part of history, black people were never able to accumulate wealth as easily as any white person was able to due to government sanctioned oppression. You say this is not relevant. What the hell are you talking about? I even drew the line in 1964, even though everyone knows that black people didn't all of a sudden stop getting oppressed in 1964. How is it true, that in the early 1960s, black people were turned down from employment due to their skin color and forced to enroll in substandard schools, yet it doesn't impact the current generation? It was 50 years ago. My dad was a kid in the 1960s, so were a lot of people's parents. If he was black, he would have had a sh** education and wouldn't have been able to get a good job, therefore limiting any wealth he could have ever accumulated. Wouldn't that directly impact how much privilege and leeway that I might have been able to benefit from growing up as a child? Growing up poor and with nothing, he would also be more likely to commit crimes since a lot of people commit crimes due to desperation. Something that non-poor people don't have to deal with.

gatsby likes this.
  10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Is that a terrible argument, or is it that you just don't follow a pretty simple line of logic?

When you look at treatment of the rich and poor, it explains nearly all of what is often blamed on racism. That is a fact.

When you make poor decisions like having children out of wedlock, doing drugs, joining gangs, and engaging in criminal activity...especially violent criminal activity, you are MUCH more likely to become or remain poor. This is another fact.

When you look at black children, more than 72% of them are raised by a single parent meaning a single source of income and a MUCH higher chance of being poor. That's not something anyone did to them, it's something they did to themselves.

Anyway we can go on about this forever and I get that you love excuses and I look at all humans the same way and have the same expectations of them meaning that I reject your ridiculous excuses. Imagine if Japanese Americans were still using their mistreatment during WW2 as an excuse for bad behavior, perhaps they'd be performing poorly as a group as well. Fortunately that's not the case.

cml750 likes this.
  11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Racism is a problem today. There are studies that show changing your name on a resume makes a big difference. Many actors change their names to White names to get roles. There is a bias here. By institutions, by the criminal justice system, and society on a whole. There is a large body of evidence that bias starts are a young age and in prolific not just amongst white children against black children, but even black children are biased against black kids.

I once presented to a group of white corporate executives and in the room I walked in with the IT guy to set-up the projector. The IT guy was assumed to be the presenter and I was presumed to be the IT guy. This stuff happens all the time. I walk into a building with a bag, and I get asked whom I am delivering for. You do not know the frequency people experience this. And I have it easy compared to someone who is black - they immediately start off as being seen as less trustworthy and less capable. I know this because I see it.

People deal with it every day. No it doesn't stop you from succeeding, but it does make it harder when you have to go out of your way to make a show every time to demonstrate you're not the stereotype. It would be nice if folks like you would acknowledge that instead of trying to tell us it doesn't exist when we experience it throughout our lives.

Do you know how condescending it is to have you tell me what is real or not? You don't walk in my shoes. I don't care about Antifa or what your strange notions of the left might be. You are using fringe cases that I don't even know if they are true to completely discredit what minorities face.

#171 Sweet Lou 4 2, Feb 14, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Every day I pray to black Jesus that Antifa will deliver me...

...a 75" OLED TV.

...and from white suppression like ice skating, line dancing and bingo nights. Yeah that too.

Fox News and respected and untainted internet publication The Federalist totally nailed that one.

13. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

More than racism , the problem our country ( and most countries face ) is lack of open, honest , and respectful communication .

This is both at the government , public level . And simply between people .

When was the last time you sat down with a stranger and had a meaningful conversation , learned something new , and felt that your perspective was ALSO listened to and respected .

I think in general , people get comfortable with and seek out a particular set of information . Confirmation bias maybe . It's a problem with education , but the best education is experience . Real interaction that is unhindered by pressure or ulterior motives .

14. Exiled

Exiled Member

hmm....i found an analog 14"tv nearby the dumpster , it happened for a reason... I didn't know it was due to your prayer..blesss u..amen

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Just out of curiosity, on what basis do you think that open conversation is a bigger problem than people being discriminated against? I mean it seems easy for you to say that racism isn't a big problem - but sounds very white privilege'd of you

16. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

All you're talking about here is the cycle of poverty. There is no one really debating the consequences of being poor and growing up in broken households. It leads to the children making the same mistakes their parents did because no one taught them well. It's really tough to get out of. This is a filler argument, what you are trying to avoid debating is what factors initiated this cycle of poverty within black households. Many people with an ounce of common sense would say that being mistreated based on the color of your skin, being unable to get employment, being unable to own land, being unable to attend good schools, and millions of other similar things, triggers the cycle of poverty. At a bare minimum, all of this systemic oppression happened up until 50 years ago. I like how you are too afraid to debate this point.

Most Japanese Americans initially came to America with a desire to work hard. This is not a representative sample of ALL Japanese people. Now of course the white oppressors really wanted to intern them during WW2 because they just hated all minorities, but once they were free again, their values of hard work didn't degrade.

17. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I think that without open conversation we can't understand how people are being discriminated against .

What is discrimination / racism ? It's treating others a different way right ?

I think one could site a lot of numbers and statistics , but without the context they don't capture the true picture .

I've heard people speak on rascism and inequality and the part that struck me was not necessarily the material difference , but how those differences made the effected group feel ... How it influenced the "oppressed" group's mindset.

You used the term white privilege : I'm not dogging you for using it ... But outside of open communication how could I know that I have it . How should I know that my own perspective is influenced by how people treat my race .... Unless I can talk to people from other backgrounds and learn how they feel their perspective is altered by how people treat them because of the color of their skin.

I think overall , what I mean by communication problem... Can also be said as an information problem . I don't disagree with pop . I think however a more apt description is an information/ communication problem rather than rascism . Sure , this issue can manifest itself as rascism ... But until we fix the root ( which I believe is communication leading to understanding) you are always going to generalize people instead of realizing they are individuals.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's really not, it just takes one generation deciding to do the right things instead of doing the dumb things that the poor people around them think are cool. Of course in some American sub cultures there is intense pressure to do stupid things that will ensure they remain in poverty.....honestly that's the most oppressive thing working against black people in America.

No.....trying to find an external racial group to blame is a diversion and is counter productive....you know, just like it is every time people seek an external racial group to blame for all of their problems.

It's just an excuse that isn't relevant to today, that's why it's not worth wasting time on.

Wow, this is a REALLY interesting statement you are at the same time saying

1. That Japanese people were interned merely because "white people hate all minorities"

which is impressively stupid by itself but in addition

2. You imply that Japanese people value hard work and black people don't which is the reason Japanese people didn't whine about being wronged and instead managed to stay on their grind and succeed in a country full of white people that according to you, hate all minorities.

You've outdone yourself.

cml750 likes this.
  19. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Didn't you just talk about how poor people aren't afforded leeway and get less privileges than rich people? That factor suggests that it's pretty hard to break out of a cycle of poverty, not to mention the millions of other things that could get in the way. It's not impossible, but difficult. Maybe if society treated poor people as well as society treats rich people, more people would get out of the cycle of poverty. Isn't that what we want as a country? Less people in poverty?
    Why isn't it relevant? Because it happened too long ago? If you had an argument, you'd be more specific in why it's not relevant. Given that you haven't done it yet, it's safe to assume that you have no argument for this.
    Because the Japanese people were all immigrants. Immigrants (no matter the race) tend to be harder working than natives.They tend to work more grueling hours and are more willing to put up with BS from their bosses. You see it every day even in current times.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That doesn't make it hard, it just means that they don't have the leeway to do the wrong things and still end up doing well. It's not hard to not do drugs, it's not hard to not have children out of wedlock especially when you can abort the little b*stard really easily, it's not hard to choose not to be a criminal, it's not hard to stay in high school till you graduate.

None of those things are actually hard.

Maybe if every day were rainbows and lollipops then nothing bad would ever happen.....or we could be realistic.

It's not relevant because it has absolutely no bearing on your life in 2018 whatsoever. None.

Whining about the distant past is in no way productive and it's not an excuse for current failure.

So the difference in how Japanese people reacted to oppression and how black people currently react to the idea of the oppression of their ancestors, in your opinion, is that the Japanese people weren't whiners about it to where they let it get them off their grind and black people are? Is that what you are saying?

I mean, that's a bit extreme don't you think?

cml750 likes this.