1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Popovich - "we live in a racist country that hasn’t figured it out yet”

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ipaman, Feb 12, 2018.

1. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Maybe next time you’ll pay more attention. That web page I sent you to had a link on it for a message board. Try clicking on the link for the message board and then we’ll discuss personal ignorance.

And again, you are missing the entire point.

This is about someone’s viewpoints. Pop doesn’t know every single person’s view on race on America and neither do you. It’s about his perspective which I’m willing to bet is a lot more broad than yours.

Keep reaching.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I get that you are proud of your little webpage, but it doesn't compare to f***ing MTV and it's kind of laughable that you keep trying to argue this. Are you just wanting to provide comic relief?

ipaman likes this.
  3. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

to what extend? Does the is so called race problem prevent minorities from succeeding? Saying America has a race problem means absolutely nothing

4. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

you know what also doesn't help, adding fuel to a tiny fire so that it grows into an inferno. btw... no one has said we don't problems some of which are race related. in fact, i've said it now dozens of time but no none listens. but saying that is no where near saying we have a racist country like pop did.

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you are born black, you start off with a big disadvantage of someone who is white. Discrimination against blacks is still rampant not just in the deep south or by the right but by many liberals as well. Pop is just calling that out.

You are saying racism isn't that big of a problem. Which is incredulous given what is going on these days.

I am not sure why you are worried about the semantics and interpretation of Pop who is only stating what I wrote above.

6. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

I actually think US is one of the less racist first nations, countries like Japan and many western European nations are more racist toward minorities, that is the reason why so many more people are joining groups like ISIS from that part of the world.

ipaman likes this.
  7. cml750

cml750 Member

You are correct that some blacks start off with a disadvantage but it is almost always due to their on making. Nobody forces them to have children out of wedlock. A child who grows up in a fatherless home that is supported by the government does have a disadvantage. Welfare has made this issue even worse by enabling it with the government replacing the father in the house. To say this disadvantage cannot be overcome is a slap in the face to all of those who have done it. Black success stories are often demonized rather than pushed as role models. The is no government program that will fix this and previous ones have only made it worse. Unfortunately this is something the black community will have to do themselves because it will have to start at home with families teaching their children they can succeed if they try instead of teaching them to be victims. They need to start holding people who have succeeded as heroes and stop demonizing them.

As for discrimination and racism, there will always be some people who hold racist ideals to their heart from all races and nationalities. It is not a white thing, a black thing, or any race thing. Racism does not automatically make a person discriminate because they know there are consequences. Any one who does actually discriminate should face consequences for their actions.

The lefts mantra these days of so liberally using the words "racism" and "racist" when it is not the case only add fuel to the fire. Calling Trump and his supporters racist for wanting to build a wall to limit illegal immigration or for their desire to enact sensible immigration policies is absolutely ridiculous. Using the word racist for people who disagreed with Obama is equally ridiculous because not liking someones policies has nothing to do with their race. Obama had a chance to be a great unifier yet chose to be the great divider and became the master of the politics of division (black vs, white, rich vs, poor, LBGTQ vs. straight, immigrant vs. non-immigrant, etc...). He chose to try to drive a wedge in between every single group he could instead of trying to bring them together. Now this country is suffering the consequences and race, gender, etc... relations that had become so much better before Obama have now been set back decades.

People like you and Cometswin that are literally obsessed with race can not see the forest due to all of the trees being in the way. You have no idea how your use of racism as the great boogey man only makes matters worse. Calling people who disagree whith you racist is not the way to bring people together.

#127 cml750, Feb 14, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    mario_v and Space Ghost like this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The part that some people end up missing is that while it's true some black people start off with a disadvantage, other black people start out very privileged. People starting out privileged or "disadvantaged" has nothing to do with their race, it has to do with the life choices of their family members that came before them. If those life choices were poor, their parents likely put the kids in a hole that they'll have to dig out of to start their life, if their life choices were wise, their parents likely set the kids up to make success easier. This is true no matter who you are and the fact that black people have a much higher rate of poverty than other groups doesn't change this. Those who make good choices will usually enjoy the benefits of doing so, those who don't will struggle. That's life.

ipaman and cml750 like this.
  9. cml750

cml750 Member

Yes, you are 100% correct and I do realize this but was mainly trying to point out how welfare has replaced fathers in the home and perpetuated the "Poor me, I'm a victim" mentality that people like Lou like to push so strongly. It will all be lost on a misguided and idiotic SJW like Lou anyway.

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I've heard this narrative before, but I've never seen any statistics to back it up.

Can the disintegration of the nuclear black family be directly linked to the "welfare state"?

What seems more plausible to me is that this is the result of about 300 years of disenfranchisement followed by rapid agency.

A lack of wealth and education correlates to broken homes across most societies and cultures.

11. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I mean we live in a racist world. Pop is kidding himself if he thinks the US is the only nation with racism. We can and should do better, though. However, am I the only one who feels like Pop says these things to remain relevant and on the same level as his predominantly black players? Maybe I'm just being cynical.

ipaman likes this.
  12. cml750

cml750 Member

Donny, I would suggest you simply Google a phrase like "welfare destroyed the black family" and do some reading. I could cherry pick some articles but I see no need. There are plenty from both right and left leaning sources if you care to look for them.

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I already did this and it returned nothing convincing. It's why I asked the question.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Kudos for Pop for standing up and saying what others are afraid of saying.

He is 100% right.

DD

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Anyone who disagrees with you is a SJW. You don't even want to listen.

16. amaru

amaru Member

Popovich calls them like he sees them. Must be the military background

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Sorry but conservatives lost the high ground to point the finger at anyone that they are playing the victim a long time ago.

Virtually everything the current platform is about now is victimization and grievance. “Muhh culture... Muhh statues... Muhh Football”... “Muhh taxes paying for your lobster with food stamps”. “Muhh jobs being taken by all you Mexicans and Middle Easterners”.

You guys love to paint this picture of a so-called Nanny State while you guys do nothing but whine and b**** about how terrible OTHER people have made your life without looking in the GDamn mirror yourself.

Us liberals are just trying to protect a lot of the same assurances YOU will also rely on one day like Medicare, and heaven forbid you lose that great job I’m sure you have. Social Security is something we’ve been paying our whole lives assuming we will have what we’ve paid into for so many years heaven forbid we really need it.

So let’s give it a break with the finger pointing about “playing the victim” here man. It’s laughable to think about a right wing Trump fan saying that while keeping a straight face.

18. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Identical choices lead to identical consequences now?

Privilege is literally highly unequal consequences for similar choices.

19. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

DD admits he's racist.

Also overrated Pop took another FAT L last night! Maybe he should focusing on coaching instead of dabbling into race war policits mid-season.

20. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I don't doubt this and at a risk of stereotyping, Asian are very racist in my experience. I don't t believe you are saying this, but relative to how other countries treat minorities isn't reason to ignore our own race problems. Trump is a big realization to many that this country have a long way to go.