1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Popovich - "we live in a racist country that hasn’t figured it out yet”

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ipaman, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I don't disagree with him. I think we have never been more divided especially online.

There is a segment of the population that can be openly racist online and applauded for it so it will probably just get worse as their children's social media presence increases.

2. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Just ask yourself, are we less racist or more racist as a nation compared to 25 years ago? 50 years ago? 75 years ago? I think we are making progress.

ipaman likes this.
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That is true, but it is only true of socially acceptable racism

[​IMG]

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Just to be clear, you think folks should just keep their mouths shut if they see a perceived problem? Or...just sports figures, show buisness folks, famous people should keep their mouths shut?

5. TheresTheDagger

I dunno on this one. I was young once and thought we made tremendous progress in this area. Apparently not.

6. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

We did, but next generation will make more progress .

7. edwardc

edwardc Member

Piss poor attempt to skate by the question.

ipaman likes this.
  8. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

You couldn't be more wrong about my position. Stay positive, specific, and inclusive. Avoid being judgmental, chastising, negative, generalities, approach. IMO, Pop did the latter. Having said that, I'd rather not have ball coaches get involved. I love basketball and demand it stay about basketball. That goes for players, coaches, and the media asking questions. Now to be fair to the sports media in this instance, they asked Pop about NBA Black History which is fair game. Pop chose to not answer and broadened it to the entire country which again IMO is wrong. It's a sports media session, answer the sports question or don't.

9. ipaman

so you admit that i answered you question even if you didn't like my answer? i'm good with that.

10. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I guess this:[link removed]

Is socially accepted then :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

That site is pretty popular. I’m sure every time I post I’m just increasing their membership.

#110 xtruroyaltyx, Feb 13, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2018
  11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Is it? I'd imagine you are one of the few people here who has ever heard of that site before, but I'd bet everyone has heard of MTV....kind of ridiculous to compare the two especially given the context of the conversation you are attempting to respond to.

12. ipaman

i've never seen or heard of that site until you just posted it now but everybody knows what mtv is my man. big difference imo.

13. edwardc

edwardc Member

I have nothing to admit to you refuse to answer the question.

ipaman likes this.
  14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Productive dialogue is all good, but I don't think you even get there without someone making you uncomfortable a bit. Racism isn't a comfortable topic and boundaries need to be pushed to get the message across. So I think it can be effective. There are bound to be some that respect him and consider what he is saying more thoughtfully and how they may missed the racism that he think exists, and that they think doesn't exists. That would be a win for all (except for outright racists). Without someone speaking up that is seen as credible, people will just go on their ways. Wouldn't blame them. It's not easy to be in other people shoe and see their perspective. And it's definitely not easy to see/allow/accept one own racist views.

15. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Looks like you both missed the point.

Just because YOU haven’t heard or experienced something doesn’t mean that thousands of others haven’t.

Yeah I know what mtv is. When’s the last time I watched 1 second of it? It’s at least been 10 years. Tbh, I didn’t even see the MTV logo at first and I didn’t know where that was from until YOU guys said something.

See how that works?

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Oddly enough Barack Obama shares that same sentiment and has said such many times. Oddly enough for this wild thinking he gets labeled a divider and racist because... I dunno but yeah.

He’s right though. If you had to pick a time to live in as a minority, all things considered, you’d probably still pick now and there is optimism that it will get even better. The optomist in me thinks what we are seeing now is a lashing out because of the inevitable diverse accepting and environmentally conscious state we are going towards.

It’s just the loudest voices always get heard first and we are just hearing the most from the least in a desperate cry to hold onto “Muhh Culture”.

pirc1 and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  17. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I’d never seen or heard of that meme or show or whatever that is that was posted. So what?

Just because you haven’t personally experienced something doesn’t mean there isn’t a large segment of society that has.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

This suggests that you had a point, which if you look at the context of what was said, you didn't. You posted some Angelfire looking BS that for all I know you made as a counter point to something posted by MTV...now sure, you are currently saying that you didn't know what you were responding to, but that kind of ignorance isn't a great excuse.

Your personal ignorance in this instance is irrelevant. The video was posted on a YouTube account with over 2.5 million subscribers, on a Facebook page with over 46.5 million followers, and on a Twitter account with over 16 million followers.....it's fair to say that they are more socially acceptable than some BS webpage that I'd be willing to bet less than 100K people have ever even seen in their entire history.

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was born here which makes me as American as anyone. Just because I am not white doesn't mean I have to leave if I criticize the racists. I am sorry that you can not comprehend this.

Racists poop on this great country, it's very unfortunate. But we're not going to be chased away by them as much as it seems you would like that to happen.

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think you get it at all from writing this. No one said the U.S. isn't worth coming to. But it does have a race problem. Ignoring it or pretending it doesn't exist doesn't help anything.