1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Popovich - "we live in a racist country that hasn’t figured it out yet”

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ipaman, Feb 12, 2018.

1. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

i would concede to @Bobbythegreat because i've never met anyone in person or online as strong willed. and notice i said strong willed because i mean it as a compliment. i could have said stubborn, inflexible, pig headed, etc... but those unflattering and i have to give credit where credit is due. the man can't be broken.

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

That really doesn't say much. He was a s2 shop enlisted paper pusher. He also posted pictures years ago and seemed to have a overweight BMI.

3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

When you have people who generalize and say antagonistic comments like "we live in a racist country", it only serves to divide. It implies a majority of people are racist. A proper way to put it, as a person who is trying to be constructive, would state "we still have race issues in this country that we need to work on". Popovich knows this and he has stated it in such a manner to be an *******. This is why I can't respect the guys political opinion.

Is America perfect? No. Do we still have race issues? Sure.

The reality is America is a pretty tolerance country despite what many here will try to portray. For a country who was built on many other nations, we are doing fairly well compared to many of the countries we have compiled from. Many of these other countries are not as diverse and accepting as America.

Sure, we want to strive to be more like Canada. But Canada is not full of self righteous, highly opinionated egoistical assholes. Racism is not the only issue America has.

ipaman likes this.
  4. ipaman

well said and this guy gets it. i'll add, fack overbearing basketball coaches who judge and preach when not asked.

5. ipaman

no one's perfect friend but you have time to come to your senses

6. ipaman

see this is the problem right here. based on what you said, it sounds like you think everyone in pakistan and bangladesh is a rapist despite voting for female prime minister which is way more discriminating and racist position to take then just saying rape is an issue that needs to be dealt with. sorry to say bro but you might be racist with that type of thinking.

7. fchowd0311

Are you stating that Bangladesh and Pakistan don't have women's rights issues?

8. fchowd0311

What emperical study did you perform to make this conclusion?

9. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Why did you and your family choose to live in such a racist white supremacist country? Why does America continue to be one of the top choices for immigrants each and every year? If you don't like it you can always leave, I'll even help you pack.

10. ipaman

i'm saying, not every citizen is a rapist just because rapes happen a lot in those countries. i say that because i'm not a dividing, antagonizing, person like pop. also, call me crazy but, you don't fix rape by calling everyone a rapist. pop, disgustingly, thinks you do and i disagree.

11. fchowd0311

Is pop calling himself a racist?

It's as if you guys have this idea in your head to push a narrative. You run the logic in your head the first couple of steps make rational sense but then you try to apply it more thoroughly and it falls apart. That's why I honestly believe you are either playing a shtick or just flat out incapable of of drawing out your premises to see if they actually make any rational sense

12. edwardc

edwardc Member

Question??? Your coming down pretty hard on a NBA coach do you feel the same way about the current President of these here United States of America because when it has come to being a dividing and antagonizing separatist Trump takes the cake.

13. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Pretty racist = white supremacy

I'm with you. We shouldn't do anything to improve the country. It's perfect as-is, and everyone who doesn't like it should head to Mogadishu.

14. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

OP's not racist so Pop is wrong.

15. fchowd0311

And this post summarizes the most puzzling aspect.

It's puzzling enough where I have to conclude it's nothing more than faux outrage.

We continously see posters like ipaman and Space ghost place higher standards to individual private citizens such as celebrities and NBA coaches than the man in charge of the world's largest bureaucracy and commander of the world's most powerful military .

edwardc likes this.
  16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

To be realpolitik for a moment here, Pop is a white coach in a black-dominated sports league. By taking an abrasive outspoken stand on racism in America, he builds trust and community within the league, where he makes his money. I'm sure by saying this, it helps his brand and makes it incrementally more likely for free agents to choose San Antonio over other options. Guys will say, 'I like Pop; he's a great coach, and he understands me too. I don't have to play for Doc to get a coach who knows what it means to be black in America. Pop is woke.' If he was more diplomatic about it, and say how there are good people on both sides, players might mistrust him. A black coach might have some more space to reach out in that way.

mick fry likes this.
  17. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

The person I was replying to has used the word white supremacy loosely many times on here

18. ipaman

sorry i couldn't help myself but i fify. back to your question, i hate a lot of things but at the top of the list is mixing of sports (especially ball which i love) and politics. i can't stand it... i'm not religious and don't go to church but basketball is sacred for me, it's spiritual, i love it. hopefully that explains some of my reaction.

19. fchowd0311

So you admit your reaction is irrational?

K. Debate ended .

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

If you personally feel like Popovich was calling YOU a racist with this statement than you might want to do some soul searching because you might have some racist tendencies.

Reason- the leadership of the current admin has taken a clear direction that can be seen as nothing but racism. It’s right in front of our faces every day and your blind if you don’t see it. If you support this direction ... guess what.... you are at the very least complicit in racism.

So yes.... the country’s leadership is currently racist. If you agree with it, you are probably a little bit racist too at least.

I don’t agree with Pop’s statement that “the country” is racist obviously(60% of the country seems to reject racism) but most educated, smart, objective people would interpret this to mean the leadership, current direction, and the historical precedent shows inherit racism in this country.

Black History Month is important to remind folks about our troubled history, and how much more work we have to do to reject the continual fight against the minority of Americans who do have power to make America White Again. If you are insecure enough to allow Pops comments to upset you then you probably need a good look in the mirror about why it is you feel that way.

#80 dobro1229, Feb 13, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    ipaman and fchowd0311 like this.